Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Alvin777

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 31, 2003
Hi. I only see Thunderbolt 3 (has the USB-C connector) to SSD enclosure (either NVME or SATA) but if a zthunderbolt 2/Mini DidplayPort to USB-C exists, I plan to plug that first then buy a USB-C to NVME enclosure, so my external SSD backup is (cloned or Time Machine) is faster than USB 3.0 at 1500 GB/s (with the NVME). This is for the Late 2015 5K iMac with 2TB Fusion drive).

If such an adapater exists what the link (send links from the branded to the budget no-name but decent)

Thank you. Have a very blessed week.

Nguyen Duc Hieu

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2020
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
Hi. I only see Thunderbolt 3 (has the USB-C connector) to SSD enclosure (either NVME or SATA) but if a zthunderbolt 2/Mini DidplayPort to USB-C exists, I plan to plug that first then buy a USB-C to NVME enclosure, so my external SSD backup is (cloned or Time Machine) is faster than USB 3.0 at 1500 GB/s (with the NVME). This is for the Late 2015 5K iMac with 2TB Fusion drive).

If such an adapater exists what the link (send links from the branded to the budget no-name but decent)

1. There is no device capable of transmitting 1500GB/s yet. nVME on PCIe gen4 port is still capped at 6000~7000MB/s. And PCIe gen 4 is only supported by Intel CPU gen 11 or later.
2. There is a Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2 adapter sold by Apple at 49$/pc.
3. To hook-up a thunderbolt storage device, I guess you will need a Thunderbolt 2 Dock with active power,
Connection is like below
Imac <> TB 2 Dock w/power <> TB 2 to TB3 adapter <> TB3 box with nVME blade
All of those for Time Machine back-up is quite luxury, I think.

Reactions: Alvin777

Alvin777

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 31, 2003
Hi, thanks. I will need the reverse of that Apple dongle. No one has built a Thunderbolt 2 to USB-C adapter (I only have Thunderbolt 2/mini DisplayPort connector), I'm guessing?

I wish it was Thunderbolt 3 with te USB-C connector but I'm saving up for next year's Macs (holding on to the this 6 year old Late 2015 5K iMac- bought in 2016, it's served me well).

Alvin777

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 31, 2003
1. There is no device capable of transmitting 1500GB/s yet. nVME on PCIe gen4 port is still capped at 6000~7000MB/s. And PCIe gen 4 is only supported by Intel CPU gen 11 or later.
2. There is a Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2 adapter sold by Apple at 49$/pc.
3. To hook-up a thunderbolt storage device, I guess you will need a Thunderbolt 2 Dock with active power,
Connection is like below
Imac <> TB 2 Dock w/power <> TB 2 to TB3 adapter <> TB3 box with nVME blade
All of those for Time Machine back-up is quite luxury, I think.
*correction- I meant 1.5GB/s

dwig

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2015
Key West FL
Apple offers an adapter for TB2<>TB3. It should be noted that it does not provide power to the attached TB3 device and thus will not work with most TB3 "portable" SSDs and enclosures. You need to use an SSD/Enclosure that has its own external power supply or use a compatible (not all are) powered TB3 dock to provide power for the SSD/enclosure.

rpmurray

macrumors 68020
Feb 21, 2017
Back End of Beyond
Hi, thanks. I will need the reverse of that Apple dongle. No one has built a Thunderbolt 2 to USB-C adapter (I only have Thunderbolt 2/mini DisplayPort connector), I'm guessing?
The Apple dongle is bi-directional. As far as I know it's the only one that is bi-directional. You can't use it for bus powered devices, so the device you're hooking up will need to have its own power or be connected through a powered hub.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Some years ago, a company named Kanex (sp?) made a thunderbolt2-to-USB3 adapter. It was a specialty item, and I don't believe it sold very well, for lack of demand. It had an "a" type USB connector.

I don't believe anyone has made a tbolt2-to-USBc adapter of any kind, letalone one that has USB3.1 gen2 (with its faster speeds).

I'll go out on a limb and predict that no one will ever make such a connector, as the world has moved on to thunderbolt3, and beyond.

My recommendation:
If you have a USB3 backup drive that works as it is now, just use it as it is.

joevt

Contributor
Jun 21, 2012
iMac -> Thunderbolt 2 cable -> Apple Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2 Adapter -> Thunderbolt 3 dock -> Thunderbolt 3 NVMe enclosure.

This will allow 1500 MB/s for Thunderbolt 3 NVMe enclosure and also 10 Gbps (1000 MB/s) for USB 3.1 gen 2 NVMe enclosures which are much less expensive and more portable than Thunderbolt enclosures.

Reactions: Nguyen Duc Hieu

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009

If you're not buying a Thunderbolt enclosure, you just need a USB-A to USB-C cable.

joevt

Contributor
Jun 21, 2012
If you're not buying a Thunderbolt enclosure, you just need a USB-A to USB-C cable.
True, but Thunderbolt 2 Macs only have USB 5 Gbps.
A Thunderbolt 3 dock or device will allow USB 10 Gbps.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.