Is there a way to make Auto Save create a new Version?

Tom8

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 28, 2010
Hi

When i heard about Auto Save & Versions it seemed like the feature i'd been dreaming about

Anyway, it appears that pressing CMD + S, is the only way to make a new Version. I know that Versions also makes a new version automatically every hour, but is there someway to make it so that with each "Auto Save" a new version is created? Or at least a way to make a new version every 10 minutes.

If anyone knows if there's a way to do this through the Terminal or some other method, i'd massively appreciate it.

If not, Apple has let me down with this feature as there's time's where i want to revert back to places that are "In between saved Versions" so to speak.

Thanks in advance.

marsmissions

macrumors 6502
Jan 5, 2010
Washington, US
Cmd + S....every 10 minutes....

This isn't meant to be a solution so you never have to save, it is meant to be a means of helping you if you forget to save.

Only you have let yourself down.:rolleyes:

Comment

Tom8

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 28, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_4 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8K2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Auto-Save. It's called Auto-Save. The word Auto implies that your input is not require as it is done, automatically not "manual save"

And you didn't even attempt to answer my question, so I'd rather you do something constructive rather than waste my time & yours try to make petty little snide comments

Comment

baryon

macrumors 68040
Oct 3, 2009
I have no idea what this Auto Save thing does, nor have I come across any indication that it's doing anything. So far Lion seems just like Snow Leopard to me when it comes to saving things, except that I have to close the window before quitting otherwise the window comes back later, which is pointless.

Comment

Tom8

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 28, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_4 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8K2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Auto save is literally just saving your documents so they're up to date. The windows popping back up is Resume.

I was under the impression that Auto-Save would create a new Version, which would be much more logical than having to hit CMD + S

Comment

paulsalter

macrumors 68000
Aug 10, 2008
UK

Auto save is literally just saving your documents so they're up to date. The windows popping back up is Resume.

I was under the impression that Auto-Save would create a new Version, which would be much more logical than having to hit CMD + S
IMO,

Auto Save is storing the file incase of problems
Saving a version is for saving when you are happy with the document and have finished with it (or if you want to create other variations of it)

there is an option to revert to last save, so if you make some changes and mess it up you can easily get back to your last version

but to your question, I thought I had seen an option to create a new version with each auto save, but cannot find it now

Comment

Tom8

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 28, 2010

Thanks for your response. I wish that auto-save would create a new version, I don't think Apple made it very clear that it didnt in the lead up to Lion's release, for those who don't view the Apple website.

So does nobody know if there's a string of text i can input into terminal or something like that to make auto-save create a new version?

Last edited:
Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.