Is there a way to make Auto Save create a new Version?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by Tom8, Jul 23, 2011.

1. Tom8 macrumors 6502a

Hi

When i heard about Auto Save & Versions it seemed like the feature i'd been dreaming about

Anyway, it appears that pressing CMD + S, is the only way to make a new Version. I know that Versions also makes a new version automatically every hour, but is there someway to make it so that with each "Auto Save" a new version is created? Or at least a way to make a new version every 10 minutes.

If anyone knows if there's a way to do this through the Terminal or some other method, i'd massively appreciate it.

If not, Apple has let me down with this feature as there's time's where i want to revert back to places that are "In between saved Versions" so to speak.

Thanks in advance.

2. marsmissions macrumors 6502

marsmissions

Cmd + S....every 10 minutes....

This isn't meant to be a solution so you never have to save, it is meant to be a means of helping you if you forget to save.

Only you have let yourself down.:rolleyes:

3. Tom8 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_4 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8K2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Auto-Save. It's called Auto-Save. The word Auto implies that your input is not require as it is done, automatically not "manual save"

And you didn't even attempt to answer my question, so I'd rather you do something constructive rather than waste my time & yours try to make petty little snide comments

4. baryon macrumors 68040

baryon

I have no idea what this Auto Save thing does, nor have I come across any indication that it's doing anything. So far Lion seems just like Snow Leopard to me when it comes to saving things, except that I have to close the window before quitting otherwise the window comes back later, which is pointless.

5. Tom8 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_4 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8K2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Auto save is literally just saving your documents so they're up to date. The windows popping back up is Resume.

I was under the impression that Auto-Save would create a new Version, which would be much more logical than having to hit CMD + S

6. paulsalter macrumors 68000

paulsalter

IMO,

Auto Save is storing the file incase of problems
    Saving a version is for saving when you are happy with the document and have finished with it (or if you want to create other variations of it)

there is an option to revert to last save, so if you make some changes and mess it up you can easily get back to your last version

but to your question, I thought I had seen an option to create a new version with each auto save, but cannot find it now

7. Tom8, Jul 24, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2011

Tom8 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for your response. I wish that auto-save would create a new version, I don't think Apple made it very clear that it didnt in the lead up to Lion's release, for those who don't view the Apple website.

So does nobody know if there's a string of text i can input into terminal or something like that to make auto-save create a new version?