Is there a way to post an animated GIF in forum post?

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by Huntn, Jun 1, 2018.

1. Huntn thread starter macrumors P6

Huntn

Hmm. Well it can be posted, but you have to click on it to see the animation. I wanted the animation without the extra step. I guess that is a no. :p

2. samiwas macrumors 68000

Is that new? Because jkcerda would have been a very different poster!

3. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

iu.gif

They have always worked fine for me. Are you having trouble?

4. Thunderbird macrumors 6502a

Thunderbird

Whenever I try to post a gif, the preview just shows the link, not the actual gif as it looks.

5. AngerDanger, Nov 16, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2018

AngerDanger macrumors 68040

AngerDanger

You do? Eye Twitch Crazy Emoji.gif

GIFs and MacRumors don't play well together. Any GIF you embed via URL goes through a proxy that can only handle a certain size (I've found anything 5mb or above doesn't display properly) that isn't actually documented anywhere on the site.

You didn't ask, but if you ever wanted to upload your own GIF to a post, you have even less space to work with. I've found 3–4mb files to be the limit for uploaded GIFs.

More fun: whether or not they display for everybody is pretty hit and miss. I think the user's connection speed is a contributing factor; it it's not initially fast enough when the page loads, the proxy fails and usually just shows a little icon.

6. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

In the old system, as far as I recall, this used to be possible.

I seem to remember some avatars were in a state of constant motion. However, since the system moved - two to three years ago, I haven't seen this occur.

7. Huntn thread starter macrumors P6

Huntn

In the emoticons thread I posted two emoticons, and one appeared to move, but I don’t know the difference. I believe it is an animated .gif file.

8. AngerDanger macrumors 68040

AngerDanger

You can still upload animated avatars, but the sever creates still images at different sizes. When viewed at their original, largest size, GIF for avatars still play.

9. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Ah, interesting. Actually, I hadn't known that, but have noticed that avatars that used to move, now no longer do so.

10. AngerDanger macrumors 68040

AngerDanger

My guess is that the folks in charge of the migration from VBulletin to Xenforo batch converted all the preexisting avatars to low-res JPGs.

@redheeler wrote a script that pulls the larger avatars and scales them down next to users' posts, so everything looks hight-res on retina displays. Consequentially, he has to see my creepy little animation each time I pop up.

11. sracer macrumors 604

sracer

I will on occasion post an animated emoticon... they always work... here's an example:
    johnwoo.gif
    hscratch2.gif
    poke.gif