Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pizz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 10, 2007
Being able to upload files from a browser is pretty essential IMO. Im pretty dissapointed I was expecting the iPad safari to be able to do this.

Is there an alternative browser that can upload files or is there some kind of workaround in safari?

ClutchThese

macrumors 65816
Jun 25, 2010
Alexandria, VA
pizz said:
Being able to upload files from a browser is pretty essential IMO. Im pretty dissapointed I was expecting the iPad safari to be able to do this.

Is there an alternative browser that can upload files or is there some kind of workaround in safari?

I'm pretty sure icab can

Phil A.

Moderator emeritus
Apr 2, 2006
Shropshire, UK
it is one of the more annoying restrictions of iOS - what are you trying to upload? The reason I ask is that there may be workarounds with different apps, etc
Of course, it would be easier if Safari on iOS let you do it natively, but it's been like that since the launch of the original iPhone so I can't see it changing any time soon

pizz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 10, 2007
Ok I figured out at iCab CAN upload files from it's download folder but you have to add files in iTunes. Under "apps" section. Still there are some sites won't upload.

ghostshadow

macrumors regular
Jul 15, 2006
Indianapolis
It's definitely a bummer. I was hoping maybe HTML 5 would allow us to do such things but so far nothing is capable of doing it. I think it all boils down to file system access of iOS. It's restricted to the backend of apps and not necessarily accessible to anything else. So web forms won't work. I hope there's a solution for it as well. I wish we could have a shared folder or something that we could dump files into so we could use web forms and what not. It's a pain in the rump to have to use an app to upload a photo to a website.

spammerhamster

macrumors 6502
Feb 5, 2010
Are you talking about the 'link to dropbox' option? Because that's not exactly uploading really. No more so than just using the Dropbox app.

No. i'm talking about UPLOADING files. Read their blog. you can upload files from it's app dir. Or better said, you can download files with icab and upload them again. or you can put files into icab through itunes to have it upload. But why you'd do the latter is beyond me.

2002cbr600f4i

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2008
I run into this all the time... It's frustrating....

I'm on a couple dating-related websites, and when I send a message to a new member of the opposite sex, I like to include a couple pictures... The sight has fields for the file name and a "upload" button, but that just doesn't work on the iPad's safari...

It would be REALLY nice if at some point Apple would allow the browser access to your photo library, or a centralized shared "documents" library and let you select files to upload from there.

2002cbr600f4i

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2008
No. i'm talking about UPLOADING files. Read their blog. you can upload files from it's app dir. Or better said, you can download files with icab and upload them again. or you can put files into icab through itunes to have it upload. But why you'd do the latter is beyond me.

Not to mention, that means you'd have to remember to add them ahead of time. It's not something that can be done "on the fly" on the iPad itself.

That's my #1 frustration with iOS. While I get the whole point of sandboxing each app and it's data, there needs to be SOME way to get data from one app to another....

EssentialParado

macrumors 65816
Feb 17, 2005
I run into this all the time... It's frustrating....

I'm on a couple dating-related websites, and when I send a message to a new member of the opposite sex, I like to include a couple pictures... The sight has fields for the file name and a "upload" button, but that just doesn't work on the iPad's safari...

It would be REALLY nice if at some point Apple would allow the browser access to your photo library, or a centralized shared "documents" library and let you select files to upload from there.
iCab will let you do this. I'm assuming it's one of those "(browse)" buttons that brings up your file list? In iCab it brings up a list of all files you've downloaded, or you can choose from your photos.

I seem to get by pretty well without file uploads. I use Dropbox for most things, or I email documents. But we won't be able to do true file uploads until Apple incorporate file access. (Not a file-system, as most people say, because a file system already exists in iOS.)

LegendKillerUK

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2010
I too am after something that can upload files.

I don't like posting on 4chan unless I can include a reaction image. :p

blackNBUK

macrumors 6502a
Feb 19, 2010
UK
Not to mention, that means you'd have to remember to add them ahead of time. It's not something that can be done "on the fly" on the iPad itself.

That's my #1 frustration with iOS. While I get the whole point of sandboxing each app and it's data, there needs to be SOME way to get data from one app to another....

The "Open in..." function provides a limited way of passing copies of files between Apps that support it. As an example you could use GoodReader to download a file from DropBox and then open it in Pages to edit it.

Does iCab support this? If you use GoodReader (for example) to open a file in iCab can you then upload it?

lozpop

macrumors 6502
Mar 6, 2006
The iPad desperately need a real desktop-class browser. It's not an iPhone or a touch with a 3.5" display.

Steve jobs called it "the new model of computing". So, Steve, let's include a full browser!

Nishi100

macrumors 6502a
Mar 27, 2010
All the iPad needs (apart from the hardware changes: camera, gyro etc.) is a file "dump", where every file is (effectively) "dumped" on a file system (like the "Finder".)

Then when an app wants to access a file, the iPad asks the user, then, if the user says "yes", the app can edit that file.

Also, if you have a video that you edited with iMovie then "rendered" out, that is "dumped" in to the system; therefore, if you have an app that can colour correct movies, that app can go in to the system and edit the rendered movie.

Then, uploading a file would be easy:

1) The user click an "Upload" button (like on Mac Rumours with attachments).
2) The "dump" system is pulled up and then the user can select the file they want to upload and because all the files, even that 3rd party apps, are stored in this system, the user can select any file that they want, that was made in any app.
3) The file, that the user selects, is uploaded.

RecessionApps

macrumors newbie
Jul 5, 2012
Our iUploader™ app allows you to upload doc, pdfs, excel spreadsheets, etc to various websites.

We have verified that our app works with uploading files to:

✓ Microsoft Office Outlook® Web Access 2003
✓Monster®
✓CareerBuilder®
✓ Craigslist® upload
✓Dropbox®
✓Flickr®

You can get iUploader™ from the App Store at http://itunes.apple.com/app/iuploader/id527487442?mt=8

wadjj

macrumors regular
May 6, 2012
There's nothing fancy about "real" upload or download, the only problem is you can't access the file system. Jailbreak it and you get a handful of choices, otherwise, none.

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
There's nothing fancy about "real" upload or download, the only problem is you can't access the file system. Jailbreak it and you get a handful of choices, otherwise, none.

Well, with iCab, you can more or less circumvent this restriction: send the file from the other app to iCab. It'll be in its Downloads list, then. From there, you'll already be able to upload.

Of course, the easiest and best way is jailbreaking as I've already explained above.

samywamy10

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2010
Melbourne, Australia
Our iUploader™ app allows you to upload doc, pdfs, excel spreadsheets, etc to various websites.

We have verified that our app works with uploading files to:

✓ Microsoft Office Outlook® Web Access 2003
✓Monster®
✓CareerBuilder®
✓ Craigslist® upload
✓Dropbox®
✓Flickr®

You can get iUploader™ from the App Store at http://itunes.apple.com/app/iuploader/id527487442?mt=8

You have just bumped a nearly 2 year old thread. Well done :|

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.