Is there an app that dims your iPhone even more for viewing in the dark

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by galaksy, May 4, 2014.

1. galaksy macrumors 6502

I heard that there was an app for android that dimmed the screen so that the screen wasn't bright in total darkness. (I know you can control the brightness settings but it reaches a certain point where it wouldn't dim any more) What is the name of the app and is there one for iOS too?

2. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

Try the darken colors and reduce white point options in accessibility > increase contrast section?

3. goobot macrumors 603

goobot

4. Menneisyys2 macrumors 603

Jailbreak.

5. bd4 macrumors member

Use inverted colours (settings -> accessibility). There you can also create a shortcut for inverting colours (triple click on home button).

6. galaksy thread starter macrumors 6502

7. marf1million macrumors regular

What? :confused:

8. galaksy thread starter macrumors 6502

9. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

There is an iOS 7 jailbreak, but only for up to 7.0.6.

If you are on 7.1 or 7.1.1 you cannot jailbreak.

10. richwoodrocket, May 5, 2014
    Last edited: May 5, 2014

richwoodrocket macrumors 68020

richwoodrocket

Only jailbreak can accomplish this

11. galaksy thread starter macrumors 6502

How long do you have to wait until 7.1.1. Can jail break?

12. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

There will likely never be a jailbreak for 7.1.1. If you're on that, you'll likely have to wait until iOS 8 is jailbroken, which will be later this year/early 2015.

13. galaksy thread starter macrumors 6502

Oh no... Did they create iOS 7.1.1 precisely to make people not able to jailbreak

14. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

No, they created it to address bugs. The exploits needed to jailbreak are security holes - Apple does patch these holes used in previous jailbreaks, not just to prevent jailbreaking but to make iOS less prone to hacking.

The jailbreak team finds exploits after each release to see if they can still create a jailbreak. At this point, iOS 8 is so close that the team does not want to use potential exploits to create a jailbreak for such a small update (7.1/.1), so they will likely not release a jailbreak until after iOS 8 is released, and that's assuming a jailbreak is still possible.

15. galaksy thread starter macrumors 6502

What else can you so when you jailbreak that makes using the iPhone so much more fun

16. richwoodrocket macrumors 68020

richwoodrocket

The possibilities are endless.

17. Menneisyys2 macrumors 603

A LOT. This is why I'm still using an iPhone 5 as my daily driver and haven't switched to Android, Blackberry or Jolla - or simply back to Symbian.

18. jrswizzle macrumors 603

jrswizzle

THIS. No one ever remembers this exists when they complain about the bright white of iOS 7.

Setting it as a triple click makes it easy to jump back and forth depending on the situation. If you're looking at photos, you want to see them in normal colors and likely aren't looking at a lot of white. If you're trying to read something, a lot of apps have built in night modes (the Amazon kindle app for instance), but a triple click inverts your colors easily.

----------

This is wrong.

19. Menneisyys2 macrumors 603

... and everybody just loves the inverted colors everywhere, even in photos. Oh yes.

Nope, he is right. Inverting the colors is much-much inferior to just further decreasing the backlight / applying a different screen temperature (via f.lux). You're wrong - as usual when you justify Apple's (wrong) decisions.

20. jrswizzle, May 5, 2014
    Last edited: May 5, 2014

jrswizzle macrumors 603

jrswizzle

If you're looking at photos, wouldn't the white-ness not come into play? Or are you simply claiming the backlight is too bright in general?

No, I'm just responding to an extremely general assertion. Now if you want to be more specific, feel free. If we're specifically talking about the BRIGHTNESS of the LEDs themselves versus the "brightness" of the OS overall, that's different.

And I fail to see how altering screen temps via f.lux is better than inversion of colors as far as photos are concerned. Both screw with the color accuracy.

At any rate, I feel like the back light goes quite dim at the lowest setting but then again that's just my eyes and experience.

And that also doesn't mean I'm against f.lux or anything. You guys are just extremely vocal about it....

21. C DM macrumors Westmere

Invert colors can be a somewhat useful feature--mainly as far as reversing white to black for the most part--but it certainly has its limitations, and it is also fairly different from changing the temperature of the display, which is quite useful as well, in combination or even without the ability to change the brightness or reverse colors. Definitely would be great if better options were offered, but with lack of any other ones, it's at least an available workaround of some sort for that type of functionality.

22. jrswizzle macrumors 603

jrswizzle

Yup - thank you. Very good way of putting it. I agree completely.

23. Menneisyys2 macrumors 603

Inverting the colors is somewhat acceptable if one just reads plain text pages. However, with true multimedia content (e.g., web pages with inline images), the videos' / images' colors being inverted are really a nuisance.

This is why we jailbreakers stick with our brightness reducer and/or screen backlight temperature setter tweakers. They're much better than Apple's color inverter.

Note that I didn't mention f.lux as a screen dimmer utility. Nevertheless, while I do know it screws up the temperature in that for example blues become either black or green, you can quickly disable it when you plan to, say, view some videos or photos, where the original screen temp. should be preferred. I do this all the time. The best of the two words: very easy on my eyes while, say, browsing the web and still the right color temp. when I decide to browse some images. All this some 2 taps + one home button away (maximizing the window of f.lux and tapping the en/disable button + exiting the app).

24. jrswizzle macrumors 603

jrswizzle

I understand - but inverting colors is only a triple tap of the home button. Easily and quickly move back and forth.

I understand its not perfect, but other than allowing for dimmer lower end brightness, I don't think there's an alternative that doesn't compromise in one way or another.

Just pointing out that there IS an option for people. Maybe it doesn't work as well as other JB tweaks or as well as one would like - but it is there. That's all.

I'm all for f.lux and other accessibility settings to be added.

25. jr866gooner macrumors 65816

jr866gooner

I used an app called screen filter which put a dark filter over the screen and dimmed the brightness down. Perfect for night time reading/gaming! Can't do it in iOS tho :(