Is there an app that dims your iPhone even more for viewing in the dark

galaksy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 19, 2014
I heard that there was an app for android that dimmed the screen so that the screen wasn't bright in total darkness. (I know you can control the brightness settings but it reaches a certain point where it wouldn't dim any more) What is the name of the app and is there one for iOS too?

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles
I heard that there was an app for android that dimmed the screen so that the screen wasn't bright in total darkness. (I know you can control the brightness settings but it reaches a certain point where it wouldn't dim any more) What is the name of the app and is there one for iOS too?

Try the darken colors and reduce white point options in accessibility > increase contrast section?

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
Jailbreak.

bd4

macrumors member
Jan 26, 2014
Use inverted colours (settings -> accessibility). There you can also create a shortcut for inverting colours (triple click on home button).

galaksy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 19, 2014
Is there an app that dims your iPhone even more for viewing in the dark

Oh no... Did they create iOS 7.1.1 precisely to make people not able to jailbreak

Tyler23

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Oh no... Did they create iOS 7.1.1 precisely to make people not able to jailbreak
No, they created it to address bugs. The exploits needed to jailbreak are security holes - Apple does patch these holes used in previous jailbreaks, not just to prevent jailbreaking but to make iOS less prone to hacking.

The jailbreak team finds exploits after each release to see if they can still create a jailbreak. At this point, iOS 8 is so close that the team does not want to use potential exploits to create a jailbreak for such a small update (7.1/.1), so they will likely not release a jailbreak until after iOS 8 is released, and that's assuming a jailbreak is still possible.

galaksy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 19, 2014
What else can you so when you jailbreak that makes using the iPhone so much more fun

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
What else can you so when you jailbreak that makes using the iPhone so much more fun
A LOT. This is why I'm still using an iPhone 5 as my daily driver and haven't switched to Android, Blackberry or Jolla - or simply back to Symbian.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
Use inverted colours (settings -> accessibility). There you can also create a shortcut for inverting colours (triple click on home button).
THIS. No one ever remembers this exists when they complain about the bright white of iOS 7.

Setting it as a triple click makes it easy to jump back and forth depending on the situation. If you're looking at photos, you want to see them in normal colors and likely aren't looking at a lot of white. If you're trying to read something, a lot of apps have built in night modes (the Amazon kindle app for instance), but a triple click inverts your colors easily.

----------

Only jailbreak can accomplish this
This is wrong.

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
THIS. No one ever remembers this exists when they complain about the bright white of iOS 7.
... and everybody just loves the inverted colors everywhere, even in photos. Oh yes.

This is wrong.
Nope, he is right. Inverting the colors is much-much inferior to just further decreasing the backlight / applying a different screen temperature (via f.lux). You're wrong - as usual when you justify Apple's (wrong) decisions.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
... and everybody just loves the inverted colors everywhere, even in photos. Oh yes.
If you're looking at photos, wouldn't the white-ness not come into play? Or are you simply claiming the backlight is too bright in general?

Nope, he is right. Inverting the colors is much-much inferior to just further decreasing the backlight / applying a different screen temperature (via f.lux). You're wrong - as usual when you justify Apple's (wrong) decisions.
No, I'm just responding to an extremely general assertion. Now if you want to be more specific, feel free. If we're specifically talking about the BRIGHTNESS of the LEDs themselves versus the "brightness" of the OS overall, that's different.

And I fail to see how altering screen temps via f.lux is better than inversion of colors as far as photos are concerned. Both screw with the color accuracy.

At any rate, I feel like the back light goes quite dim at the lowest setting but then again that's just my eyes and experience.

And that also doesn't mean I'm against f.lux or anything. You guys are just extremely vocal about it....

Last edited:

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011

Setting it as a triple click makes it easy to jump back and forth depending on the situation. If you're looking at photos, you want to see them in normal colors and likely aren't looking at a lot of white. If you're trying to read something, a lot of apps have built in night modes (the Amazon kindle app for instance), but a triple click inverts your colors easily.

----------

This is wrong.
Invert colors can be a somewhat useful feature--mainly as far as reversing white to black for the most part--but it certainly has its limitations, and it is also fairly different from changing the temperature of the display, which is quite useful as well, in combination or even without the ability to change the brightness or reverse colors. Definitely would be great if better options were offered, but with lack of any other ones, it's at least an available workaround of some sort for that type of functionality.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
Invert colors can be a somewhat useful feature--mainly as far as reversing white to black for the most part--but it certainly has its limitations, and it is also fairly different from changing the temperature of the display, which is quite useful as well, in combination or even without the ability to change the brightness or reverse colors. Definitely would be great if better options were offered, but with lack of any other ones, it's at least an available workaround of some sort for that type of functionality.
Yup - thank you. Very good way of putting it. I agree completely.

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
If you're looking at photos, wouldn't the white-ness not come into play?
Inverting the colors is somewhat acceptable if one just reads plain text pages. However, with true multimedia content (e.g., web pages with inline images), the videos' / images' colors being inverted are really a nuisance.

This is why we jailbreakers stick with our brightness reducer and/or screen backlight temperature setter tweakers. They're much better than Apple's color inverter.

If we're specifically talking about the BRIGHTNESS of the LEDs themselves versus the "brightness" of the OS overall, that's different.

And I fail to see how altering screen temps via f.lux is better than inversion of colors as far as photos are concerned. Both screw with the color accuracy.
Note that I didn't mention f.lux as a screen dimmer utility. Nevertheless, while I do know it screws up the temperature in that for example blues become either black or green, you can quickly disable it when you plan to, say, view some videos or photos, where the original screen temp. should be preferred. I do this all the time. The best of the two words: very easy on my eyes while, say, browsing the web and still the right color temp. when I decide to browse some images. All this some 2 taps + one home button away (maximizing the window of f.lux and tapping the en/disable button + exiting the app).

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
Inverting the colors is somewhat acceptable if one just reads plain text pages. However, with true multimedia content (e.g., web pages with inline images), the videos' / images' colors being inverted are really a nuisance.

This is why we jailbreakers stick with our brightness reducer and/or screen backlight temperature setter tweakers. They're much better than Apple's color inverter.

Note that I didn't mention f.lux as a screen dimmer utility. Nevertheless, while I do know it screws up the temperature in that for example blues become either black or green, you can quickly disable it when you plan to, say, view some videos or photos, where the original screen temp. should be preferred. I do this all the time. The best of the two words: very easy on my eyes while, say, browsing the web and still the right color temp. when I decide to browse some images. All this some 2 taps + one home button away (maximizing the window of f.lux and tapping the en/disable button + exiting the app).
I understand - but inverting colors is only a triple tap of the home button. Easily and quickly move back and forth.

I understand its not perfect, but other than allowing for dimmer lower end brightness, I don't think there's an alternative that doesn't compromise in one way or another.

Just pointing out that there IS an option for people. Maybe it doesn't work as well as other JB tweaks or as well as one would like - but it is there. That's all.

I'm all for f.lux and other accessibility settings to be added.

jr866gooner

macrumors 65816
Aug 24, 2013
I used an app called screen filter which put a dark filter over the screen and dimmed the brightness down. Perfect for night time reading/gaming! Can't do it in iOS tho :(