Is there an app to change your number?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by amart26, Jan 26, 2011.

1. amart26 macrumors member

Trying to sell some stuff on Craigslist and don't want them to have my actual number. Thanks.

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Not possible. Use Google Voice. It's the closest thing you'll get to an expendable number.

3. amart26 thread starter macrumors member

4. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Have you tried google voice. It will give you its own number, but if someone calls your Google Voice number, it will redirect the call to your cell. In the end, they do not have your number. :cool:

5. chakraj macrumors 65816

chakraj

When you call out or text with google voice it's your GV number that shows, so that should do what you want.

6. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Caller ID faker.
    You can change the caller ID displayed on the person you're calling but nothing to hide your texts or receive calls thru a different number.

7. fsck-y dingo macrumors 65816

fsck-y dingo

Thankfully it still works out because you can block a caller through Google Voice. I give my GV number to businesses and other people I don't want having my actual cell number. That way if I want to stop hearing from them I can block the number.

If they call from another phone it won't work but it's better than nothing. :)

8. thizzinG macrumors member

I was wondering why nobody mentioned this before the other posts saying you can't.

9. WhatAmI macrumors 6502a

WhatAmI

The equivalent of CL here in Sweden offers a relay # for a small fee, 3$. rly nifty service. I'm sure you'll be getting this in 2023 :)

10. lapocompris macrumors regular

The OP wants to sell some stuff on Craigslist, he has to post a phone number so people can call him, Caller ID faker is not going to help his business.

11. helper99 macrumors newbie

google voice

If someone has sent me a text message using this google voice and showing a number I know for a fact did not send this message, how do you get to the source of the originator of the text??

12. XxxmoexxX macrumors newbie

How

13. gngan macrumors 68000

gngan

You can get a prepaid phone card.

Why do you not want people to have your actual number? Sound suspicious.

14. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

Note to self:

Do not buy anything sold on Craigslist by seller "amart26" :rolleyes:

15. Mdifilm macrumors regular

Posting real numbers or giving out real numbers may get some unrelated calls about survey and such.

I use an app that people can text me to called textplus where you also get a free US number or $2 for a local number. I use that a lot for initial communication via craiglist buyers and if the buyer is real and plan to swing by, then I would call with real number to give direction.

16. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

If you are worried about the autobot collection of phone numbers on Craigslist, just list the number in the following manner:

(123) 456-78-nine-one

17. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Irrelevant. Read post 10 in this thread.

Never posted an ad on Craigslist, have you? Try and you'll find out why.

18. gngan macrumors 68000

gngan

I read it before i replied. Why won't prepaid card work? You can just throw away the card after the deal is finished.

It does sound suspicious when the seller are not willing to give out number. We've seen and heard stories where the buyer can't contact the seller because of problem of the product, etc.

19. Mdifilm macrumors regular

You know that doesn't really work anymore, since some of these companies does hire people to get those info. Been following the spam trend and it's really getting wild how they do stuff to get ur #.

20. BrianBaughn macrumors 601

BrianBaughn

I set up a new account at Google with a GV number to sell a used car. Had the emails forwarded to me. I never actually took the calls, just had the voicemails emailed. Returned the calls via the GV number.

Worked nicely. Once I had sold the car, I stopped all the forwarding and abandoned the account.