Is there an application that optimises speed of OS X?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by marcel-v, Apr 20, 2010.

1. marcel-v macrumors regular

Is there an application that optimises speed of OS X?

2. Kingcodez macrumors 6502

Kingcodez

No, OSX doesn't experience the slowdowns that plague window's machines.

3. vistadude macrumors 65816

That's strange because my macbook is noticeably slower now than it was 6 months ago when I bought it. OS X does get slower when I install more apps and as more files get added. It boots slower and apps like safari and dashboard take longer to load.

4. Kingcodez macrumors 6502

Kingcodez

I dunno man, I run SSDs and HDDs and I've never seen any slowdowns.
    Is your disk really full or something? How much ram are you running?
    Maby it is that more apps are starting up when you log on, rather than the default number from a fresh install (which would be like only a few).

I have 10 applications, and numerous other things, such as littlesnitch, Viscosity VPN, iStat, and many many other small addons that start when I turn the computer on.

If you are having a problem you can reinstall OSX over your current drive, there's an option to replace system files and stuff if any got modified. I've had to do that a few times myself.

Apple makes Onyx (google it) that repairs your disk drive.. Maby you can give that a spin.

5. bluskale macrumors regular

so to clarify for you... you can add all the files you want to a hard drive and it won't change how fast it is (exceptions: if you use ALL of the space, or if there is a massive amount of indexing that needs to accommodate your additions). Normal applications won't change how fast your computer is either.

Now, if you're installing programs that run all the time in the background (frequently system utilities, or helper applications) this *could* give you slow downs. Alternatively, if you have a mobileme and a complicated syncing situation, that could conceivably also give periodic slowness.

Slower booting times could be anything. You can always hold cmd-V after the startup chime to see the verbose/text mode during startup... if it hangs on any particular step, that might be a clue.

6. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

Yes, it is the gcc compiler. Apple turns all speed optimisations in the compiler on to optimise the speed of MacOS X. The other one is not an application, but the different processors that Intel builds. They have slower ones and faster ones that optimise the speed of MacOS X.

Or are you looking for something that makes MacOS X run faster on your computer? That doesn't make sense. Apple makes MacOS X run as fast as they can. If it could be made to run faster, Apple would be doing that.

7. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Your experience is not universal.

8. mchalebk macrumors 6502a

I remember reading a while back that having a lot of files (especially large files) on the desktop can slow the computer down. I don't know it that's true, but if you have a bunch of stuff on your desktop, it might be worth putting it somewhere else and see if it makes a difference.