Is there an issue with screen burn in on OLED?

Sonic 1992

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 27, 2012
I've heard this complaint before, and I just want to make sure the X is not a mistake. For instance, some people's phones (android with OLED) would leave a Pokéball burned in on the screen with extended play of Pokémon Go.

True or no? Thanks.

macrumors 68040
Dec 16, 2011
OLED suffers from burn in but it has to be a constant image for hours, non-moving.

The only burn in I ever got on Android devices was the on-screen navigation bar, and on my S8 the top notification bar also burned in. OLED devices shift pixels around to lessen this effect, and the burn in was only noticeable on white or near-white backgrounds and I had to be looking really hard to notice then. It won’t really a problem, most likely.

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
OLED suffers from burn in but it has to be a constant image for hours, non-moving.

The only burn in I ever got on Android devices was the on-screen navigation bar, and on my S8 the top notification bar also burned in. OLED devices shift pixels around to lessen this effect, and the burn in was only noticeable on white or near-white backgrounds and I had to be looking really hard to notice then. It won’t really a problem, most likely.
That's bothersome. The S8 hasn't even been out for a year yet and the notification bar burned in? Even if it's not very noticeable that's concerning. Here's to hoping that Apple fixed this issue somehow--perhaps that's one of the reasons it took so long for them to adopt OLED.

Reactions: apolloa

MrX8503

macrumors 68020
Sep 19, 2010
I think it is true. If you look at the display models, they have burn in and the LCD models don't.

To reduce burn in, I believe there's software implemented where it shifts the pixels every so often.

Reactions: DUIduckSAUCE

nia820

macrumors 68020
Jun 27, 2011
It was a major issue on older devices. But now it would take a lot to get a burn in.

I've owned 5 OLED/Amoled devices and never had a burn issue with them.

Relentless Power

macrumors Nehalem
Jul 12, 2016
I think it is true. If you look at the display models, they have burn in and the LCD models don't.
You have to realize those display models are on 13 hours or more a day, seven days a week in a retail store, running the same demo loop. Naturally there is going be some burning in those types of conditions.

Reactions: ilovemykid3302012

Eggtastic

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2009
NJ
I've heard this complaint before, and I just want to make sure the X is not a mistake. For instance, some people's phones (android with OLED) would leave a Pokéball burned in on the screen with extended play of Pokémon Go.

True or no? Thanks.
First off, your username is awesome (if it is referring to sonic the hedgehog).

Second, and this is for anyone to answer... is burn in permanent? I usually use my phone as my GPS in my car (its an older car so no built in GPS which means screen on for an hour or two (depending on where I go).

Reactions: apolloa

macrumors 68040
Dec 16, 2011

Second, and this is for anyone to answer... is burn in permanent? I usually use my phone as my GPS in my car (its an older car so no built in GPS which means screen on for an hour or two (depending on where I go).
Yes, Burn in is indeed permanent. The display itself has image retention leaving behind a ghosting image that is irreversible, unless the display is replaced.
You can correct burn-in from AMOLED as long as you do so when the image is barely burned in.

Reactions: DUIduckSAUCE

Atomic Walrus

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2012
I don’t think this will be an issue. I don’t think there have been any issues with the Apple Watch display and that is OLED.
It’s about exposure time to static content though. The watch is off most of the time, only lighting up when the user raises it to interact or taps it.

Phones have their screens on for longer periods of time. I’d agree that it’s still not enough to make OLED burn in a serious concern for most users, but there will be usage cases that result in burn-in (for example people who leave mapping apps on screen for hours at full brightness).

Where it becomes a problem is when you start using OLED for tablets and laptops. People do work on these devices, which means hours with a static UI on screen. The display tech is really not suited to any productivity device.

Relentless Power

macrumors Nehalem
Jul 12, 2016
Yes, but so are the LCDs and you don’t see terrible burn in
I understand that. But the point is, when the in-store demo displays are consistently running for 12 or more hours a day, naturally you're going to have image retention. It's Not indicative of real world experience for a phone to be have a display on for that long of a time frame and running the same demo loop repeatedly. Image retention isn't that much of a concern as it once was years ago.

ckurt25

macrumors 6502a
Mar 25, 2009
Grand Rapids, MI
What do you think about the possibility of the time, wifi status, signal strength and battery indicators getting burned in at the top of the screen?

MrX8503

macrumors 68020
Sep 19, 2010
I understand that. But the point is, when the in-store demo displays are consistently running for 12 or more hours a day, naturally you're going to have image retention. It's Not indicative of real world experience for a phone to be have a display on for that long of a time frame and running the same demo loop repeatedly. Image retention isn't that much of a concern as it once was years ago.
Second poster said he got burn in. The fact is it’s not as resilient as LCD.

Relentless Power

macrumors Nehalem
Jul 12, 2016
Second poster said he got burn in. The fact is it’s not as resilient as LCD.
You seem confused. I'm not questioning the resiliency of LCD, I'm commenting on your quote listed below:

I think it is true. If you look at the display models, they have burn in and the LCD models don't..
Which I already stated, those displays are running on a continual loop for extended hours during the day. I'm not referring or questioning LCD all together.

And not to mention, that one poster that experienced burn in you indicated in your Post m, that's one device out of the millions of Galaxy devices that are sold that likely never will experience image retention. That's not much of a metric to go off on a tech forum, when it's not necessarily indicative of real world experience without knowing how many devices actually are subjected to image retention.

BuffaloTF

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2008

Burn in isn't permanent, but it is a PITA to reverse. You essentially gotta "burn" it the other way with the negative of what was retained - in Android there was an Invert Colors option people would use in the early days. After that you still may have a ghost there. I don't think GPS is a concern as the content moves and it rotates... it's a static thing, a constant that drives it. LCDs will burn in too -- you may see this at your local sports bar that leaves on ESPN all day when it cuts to commercial and you still see the ESPN outline in the corner, with some color to it. I think it commonly hits people that have their screen set to stay on while plugged in... and it's nowhere near as bad as CRT projector burn in where it literally scorched the panel and you had a permanent reminder.

MrX8503

macrumors 68020
Sep 19, 2010
You seem confused. I'm not questioning the resiliency of LCD, I'm commenting on your quote listed below:

Which I already stated, those displays are running on a continual loop for extended hours during the day. I'm not referring or questioning LCD all together.

And not to mention, that one poster that experienced burn in you indicated in your Post m, that's one device out of the millions of Galaxy devices that are sold that likely never will experience image retention. That's not much of a metric to go off on a tech forum, when it's not necessarily indicative of real world experience without knowing how many devices actually are subjected to image retention.
You seem to be confused by what the OP is asking. OLEDs DO tend to show burn in more frequently than LCDs.

Starfyre

macrumors 68030
Nov 7, 2010
This is not a plasma tv display were talking about here. OLED has a lot of technologies that help prevent burn in. Either you black out the pixels, or make sure the pixels are changing even slightly every so often so there isn't a burn in.

Relentless Power

macrumors Nehalem
Jul 12, 2016
You seem to be confused by what the OP is asking. OLEDs DO tend to show burn in more frequently than LCDs.
Has any of my posts even contradicted that? No. I replied to your post, not the OP's. And please indicate in any of my posts where I stated that OLED does not experience burn in. I stated the rarity of it and how your quote is a direct reflection of burn in happening to in-store demo models from your Post #4 in the thread. I have no other way of explaining it to you, as I replied to your posts, not the OP. Please re-read the previous posts before commenting.

coolbreeze

macrumors 68000
Jan 20, 2003
UT
People keep iPhones for like 2-3 times longer than Android devices. No, I don't have factual evidence to back that up, but when models are supported for many years, most people use it till it dies.

There will be serious burn-in issues due to this ownership longevity.

Get Applecare+ on the X and hope after year 2...

Ya'll will see.

DNichter

macrumors G3
Apr 27, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
There has been, but the technology has improved. Apparently now is the only time Apple felt it was good enough quality / ability to mass produce an OLED screen.