Is there any demand for the 17" MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by lovetamarav, Oct 26, 2012.

1. lovetamarav macrumors regular

I have a late 2011 17" Macbook Pro. It's a great machine, but I find that I don't need the huge screen now that I've been editing on my iMac instead. I looked into trading it in through Apple's recycle program but the price they offer is ridiculously low IMO. Is there still any kind of demand for these machines on eBay or anywhere else?

2. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

Why not check eBay completed listings to find out? My guess is the demand is there and now that you can no longer buy them new, the price is probably rising.

3. mobi macrumors 6502

mobi

Of course there is a demand, there are a bunch of die-hard 17" MBP users out there. GLWS

4. vpro macrumors 65816

vpro

Stands to be counted.

Stands to be counted.

Yes. We're still happily and creatively using out MacBook Pros (17 inchers). Still producing on my early 2007 never updated or upgraded mbp. Finally got a new in the box late 2011 17" which I invested in maxing completely out big time and all of that, I paid less than for a maxed out trendy retina 15" macbook. I saved over 750 dollars. Returned the maxed out 15" retina and got a full cash refund, now I'm test driving their trendy 13" r-mb, will be returning it next couple of weeks.

17" MBP lives long and strong.

5. Mr.Retina macrumors newbie

The Problem with the 17" was it didn't sell enough. At my Apple Retail job, we use to go through our inventory pretty much every day or every week. The only product that would have extended shelf life, were the 17" Pro's. We only sold a handful of 17" MBP every month, and warehouse started to become slow with our auto replenishments. It would be nice If Apple offered a CTO option within the web store, that allowed for 17" Custom config screens for the die hard fans out there...

6. vpro, Oct 26, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2012

vpro macrumors 65816

vpro

Consumers versus Prosumers...

Those "die hard fans" were Pros. There are more real pros out there using the 17" MBP than there are those who wanna be pros on the inside who go for the thinner gadgets today, as APPLE's 13"r-macbook ads put it best "...for the pro in all of us." Not "...for the pro users." Tricksters dem tricksters like the $$$ signs.

Apple just wants to continue to gain exponential profits with the trend of thin, it is getting real out of control now, appealing to the mob and totally disregarding the pros. Ultimately it doesn't matter how many of the 17 inchers were ever sold, no, it is just APPLE plowing the competition and dominating the market, dictating what you should buy in order to look good with what little (cosmetic upgrade) they actually offer in their devices. Not fair competition at all.

I will always look forward to the return of the great 17 inch MacBook Pro. Until then I will enjoy my spending power and get all their new toys and play with them till I'm bored with them, they bore me after a week, the new feeling so brief, where -- I am still always excited to jump on my 17" MacBook Pro and produce tons of creative new works to share with other pros collaborating with each other, engaging their audiences and vice versa.

7. lovetamarav thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for your replies. I guess I'll have to bite the bullet and decide whether or not to list it. It's a beautiful computer (feel a bit like a dork saying that) and it does it's job well. I was surprised when Apple discontinued them.

8. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

Based on what you've said, I'd try to keep it if I could. It's a beautiful machine - the 17" MBP is one that I kinda wish I needed, if you know what I mean.

If you do list it, you should get a solid price for it - don't let yourself be lowballed.

9. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

I'm left wandering if you ever did any real research. :confused:

10. vpro macrumors 65816

vpro

No trade in places for a new mac?

Here in Canada there is an Apple resaler who takes in your pristine mac and gives you up to 1500 in store credit towards your new machine!!!!! I did it for my one of my nephews, got him a 64GB 4th gen iPad recently. Looks something like that up nearest you!

All the best!

11. MacMan988 macrumors 6502a

12. SchuettS, Oct 27, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2012

SchuettS macrumors 6502

In my opinion, notebooks are supposed to be portable and 17" is pushing it. I personally wouldn't go above 15" and just get an external monitor if needed.

13. Boe11 macrumors 6502a

I sure enjoy the 17" form factor, and wish they would have kept it around for the retina revolution. The 15" is great but the 17" has an intangible quality that always made it a joy to use, at least for me.

14. Maczor macrumors regular

There is demand... but not enough that would justify the production of more units.

15. CASLondon macrumors 6502a

I wonder if you'd do better listing on various photographer/film/video websites and forums? That is a large part of the user base for these machines, and I can't help wonder if they are still in demand.

I have a 2011 17 which is the first one I choose not to sell and upgrade because its a perfect field production machine, and I'm not sure the rMBP is other than in the CPU department.

The form factor of the 15 rMBP is very easy on the eyes/hands, but it comes up short for my work purposes. Express slots for camera cards w/o carrying adapters, plus the screen real estate for image/video editing, these things hold appeal.

16. elmarjazz macrumors member

I'm not a 'Pro' user, but that doesn't mean I don't appreciate a nice computer. I don't think of the 17" as non-portable, but I wouldn't want to carry it everyday in a shoulder bag or backpack either unless I really needed that big screen.

What I do like about the 17" is its generous screen size for open windows with a reasonable view size-wise of contents, sharp and clear non-glare version, and for me its moving around the house (important for me) and an occasional trip in the car where its again set-up on a desktop. A smaller laptop screen is a compromise in my thinking.

I'm now on my 3rd 17" having decided that if Apple has discontinued them it was a good idea to get one of the lastest/greatest quad 2.5ghz version available (my 2010 2.66ghz was going fine, but this is an upgrade) at the Apple refurbished shore while they were still available. BTW; good price, looks new, I can get 3-year AppleCare, and unlike a newly introduced computer, all the kinks have been worked out, it just 'works.'

I'll add 16gb of RAM and a SSD drive and move the HD over to the optical drive. Nice that it has Thunderbold AND the legacy ports for external drives I have on hand, plus the card port for other things (an internal SD card reader… ). Should keep me going for a few years till Apple again offers [I hope] a new retina !7".

17. lovetamarav thread starter macrumors regular

That's what I was thinking as well. I'm frequently on the POTN forums and could likely list it there. I think I'll hang on to it a little while longer and then decide.

18. Jiten macrumors 6502a

Jiten

I agree, the 17" are still very very capable machines. With some good SSD upgrades and max RAM it should last its users for quite a while. In a way I'm fortunate because I really don't push the horse power of this machine, I just use it for lots of word processing it should last me a couple of years or at least until my extended Applecare expires.

19. markus843 macrumors regular

20. CASLondon macrumors 6502a

Also, maybe try the Red (camera) user's forum, the Avid/Final Cut forums, and Creative Cow

21. nokian93 macrumors newbie

late 2011 checking in here!!! Love it and also chose it over the 15 rmbp

22. Pentad macrumors 6502a

Pentad

Though I have only ever owned 15" MBPs, I have respect for the folks that like the 17". I have always thought they were great notebooks and served their owners well.

Personally, I think we'll see the return of the 17" MBP. I think they are waiting for the Retina displays to yield 17" displays in great quantities.

I think instead of Apple killing off the 17" MBP, they should have made it BTO only. If folks wanted a 17" they could BTO it and pay a bit more for something they really need/use/want.

A 17" MBPr would be something that I think Apple would love to do.

-P

23. AppleWarMachine macrumors 6502a

AppleWarMachine

There is a demand, but not a supply (only a few leftovers) :apple:

24. kvdv macrumors member

Have been a 17" MBP user since early 2008. This laptop is still working great and I love 17" anti-glare screen for editing photos and movies, but the time has come to upgrade. I need more speed and power. But as you all know ... no 17" available anymore, so I'm going to have to order a 15" rMBP. I hope I'll like it :)

25. GuitarG20 macrumors 65816

GuitarG20

I love my 17" MBP. I'm not sure how i'm gonna handle having to get a smaller one when I have to upgrade in 4 or 5 years.