Is there any Mac even worth buying in 2018

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by Ploki, Dec 11, 2018.

1. Ploki macrumors 68040

I need a mac for audio to replace my 2012 rMBP (which i dont have anymore since i had a new computer already).

got the i9 - audio dropouts, overheating, returned.

Fine. Lets move on.

Ordered a Mini i7 - stutters on ultrafine 4k, crappy gpu, coil whine, had audio dropouts. Already panicking im waiting gonna get another lemon. And i’ve already been computerless for a month...

Ordered a 13” cause i also need a portable (and had money left over from i9) - keyboards, t2 issues.

I dont know what to do with all this anymore. Return everything, buy a used mini 2012 and wait another year?

I already wanted to upgrade since 2016 but there was no good CPU options (more than 4-core), and iMac is not an option.

2. pl1984 macrumors 68000

Perhaps you should investigate whether a PC would be more appropriate for you.

3. chabig, Dec 11, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2018

chabig macrumors 601

The majority of audio pros use Macs. If you got dropouts and video stuttering it sounds like you were probably asking the machine to do too much. An i9 MacBook Pro is powerful but its power isn’t unlimited. Overheating and “keyboard” are subjective and “ultrafine 4K isn’t even a thing.

If you have to have everything running at once you might indeed need a tower PC with massive cooling.

4. Fishrrman macrumors Pentium

Fishrrman

My serious suggestion:
    2017-design 27" iMac.
    It will be the last Mac that will come WITHOUT the t2 chip (and its subsequent problems) inside.

Get the 3.5ghz "midrange" model. Runs cooler, less fan noise.
    Get 8gb RAM (add more later if you need it).
    Get either a 256gb or 512gb SSD (1tb SSD isn't worth it, unless you literally have $$$ to throw away).

The 2017 iMacs can run High Sierra (instead of Mojave) if you wish.
    The "difference" is a mature version of the OS, vis-a-vis one that remains "a work in progress".
    Particularly important for those in audio production.

5. Ploki, Dec 11, 2018

Ploki thread starter macrumors 68040

I’ve been working on Logic since tiger and logic pro 8 (10years).
    I have cubase and pro tools but i hate working with them so much...

+ i invested in Mac exclusive software a lot already. Switching to ecosystems will take me half a year and a heaps more money than just the PC.
    --- Post Merged, Dec 11, 2018 ---
    I dont want an imac - i need to put fans away from my face when i do audio, acceptable fan noise is 0dB.

I already ran mojave on 2012 rMBP and it was okay
    2 tracks of audio on the i9 is not asking too much from it...
    Same project ran fine on my old 2012 rMBP, its the T2 related audio dropouts (forums are full of them)

Ultrafine 4k is the LG display model. Not a form of video. Its the only equivalent of “retina display” in external display form

Keyboard is a thing since my returned i9 had doublestroking “i” key :/

6. jean512 macrumors member

what scaling are you using on UltraFine 4K ?

Since Mac mini 2018 and MBP 2018 have coil whine I guess you can eliminate both device

7. Cashmonee macrumors 65816

Cashmonee

I think the mini is probably worth buying if you have to have a Mac. The MacBook Pros have been a mess since 2016 and while the 2017 and 2018 have improved things, they still run pretty hot (leading to throttling), and have an unreliable keyboard, not to mention not all of the kinks with the T2 have been worked out it seems. The iMac is pretty much a non-starter at this point unless you are ok paying full price for outdated hardware. Same goes for MacBook. The Air is ok for what it is, if a bit overpriced.

So my answer would be the mini. I would add that now is a good time to start looking over the fence as well. The Apple Tax has been increasing and the quality of what they are putting out has been decreasing. No question should be answered with "because that is how I have always done it."

If you could find a great deal on an iMac with SSD, then you might consider that, but I would not advise paying full price unless it is integral to your business. Apple computers just don't offer a very good value at this point.

8. dmsea1 macrumors member

dmsea1

It is strange the Mini i7 isn't working out for you. It is the perfect Music/Audio machine in my opinion. I am running 10-15 tracks and running through an ultrawide 34" 3440 monitor with zero stuttering or latency and it is a beast. No coil whine, I record at night in a silent home and have had no issues. I have 16GB of RAM which I think is a minimum for this purpose. Songs load insanely fast. I was holding out for the new iMac myself, but I am really glad I went this route.

9. pl1984 macrumors 68000

I can appreciate the challenges you'll face but if Apple isn't offering what you need then you might want to consider making the change.

10. blenditall macrumors newbie

I feel you. Still not decided myself but I am looking into windows options now. My early-2011 17" MacBook pro has lasted well, but most of its components have been replaced/upgraded. If I'm going to pay a premium I'd like my device to have some longevity and soldered-down storage kind of freaks me out. Also, my work requires more than an iGPU.

Do you definitely need 6 cores?

11. trifid macrumors 68000

trifid

How widespread is that issue? My mac mini i7 2018 was silent except with some high cpu load like when rebooting, no coil whine.

12. Ploki thread starter macrumors 68040

fwiw Apple SSDs are (were) pretty good. I upgraded the one in my 2012 rMBP and put the old one in a SATA3 enclosure and it still rocks after 6 years with no issues.
    However the 2017 nTB recall is a bit alarming.

Yeah, i need 6 cores. I'm aware that new 4-cores are marginally better than my old 2012 15", but not as much better as i would like them to be. I ran into a lot of overloads with my recent projects and the quad simply couldn't keep up.
    With 4-cores i would be better off just staying on my old 2012 rMBP.

*sigh*
    Yeah I know. It's kind of disheartening, you invest so much in an ecosystem (even before the iOS explosion) just to find yourself abandoned by the same company. All $$$ i threw in the mac apps is mostly lost, sans few developers who offer license transfer cross-platform (and even offer cross platform software).

+ learning a whole new DAW... It's a pain in the butt. I did that once when i transition from Cubase to Logic Pro X.

I'll wait for the two i have ordered to arrive and see if they work fine, if not... HP Z4 here i come.
    I don't have one yet - it's ordered but its a BTO and those take roughly 3 weeks to arrive to this god forsaken country, but since i ordered it I already read X amount of doomsday threads. Very warming to see someone actually applauding it, thanks!

13. pl1984 macrumors 68000

If this thread is any indication it's not uncommon:

2018 Mac Mini coil whine
    This reminds me of the IBM days where IBM held all the cards and the customers just had to accept what IBM did.

I'm a big fan of the HP Z-series systems having owned a Z600 and currently own a Z440 and Z620 (which I'm typing this on right now).

14. dmsea1 macrumors member

dmsea1

15. Ploki thread starter macrumors 68040

which screen do you have?
    I got so used to 220ppi working on the 15" last few years I don't know if i want to go to lesser pixel density

16. dmsea1, Dec 11, 2018

dmsea1 macrumors member

dmsea1

I purchased the LG 34UC80-B - I am not actually sure the PPI on it - it is affordable and the one thing it doesn't have that makes it cheaper are internal speakers (don't need them) and USB-C - ( I just purchased a 4k HDMI to USB-C cable through Amazon) and you can pocket the savings. Don't need a USB-C monitor or speakers if you are doing Audio Music, as you will have your own speakers.

17. OLDGUYWITHAHIFI Suspended

OLDGUYWITHAHIFI

But to address his issue with his APPLE COMPUTERS, do we always sweep these concerns under the table? It reminds me of when people say if you don't like it here leave. I like it here, but there is nothing wrong with a little constructive criticism. For some like the OP, Apple has been a big letdown as of late.

For me I am just fine. Purchased an iPhone XS, Apple Watch 4, and have no problems. Does not mean others won't have legitamite problems. I may have misinterpreted the comment, but telling people to look elsewhere seems like an excuse not to deal with some of Apple's quality and product issues.

18. F-Train macrumors 6502a

But you don't have the mini yet and therefore don't know from personal experience whether any of this is true. All you know is what a bunch of anonymous people on an Internet forum, who represent a minuscule number of purchasers, claim.

You're right. You're panicking.

Take a Valium. And assess the computer yourself when you receive it.

19. brdeveloper macrumors 68020

brdeveloper

A little bit off-topic, but I presume you already have an Apollo Twin MK2 QUAD for doing audio stuff.

20. dmsea1 macrumors member

dmsea1

There are people on this forum that are just Debbie Downers and like to pile on - even if they have ZERO first hand experience on these new Mini's - and the ones that are having issues are getting magnified over the thousands of us that have zero issues. So take F Train's advice - get your i7 and do your thing - see if the Mini does what you hope it would. Make up your own mind. I would make a bet that you will be very happy with this machine for music. I was able to get more than I hoped in this Mini vs an iMac, without the issue of an all in one, and this little sucker can be upgraded well into the future.
    Hey 1984, what Mini did you purchase?

21. F-Train macrumors 6502a

Amen! This is a great little machine for music production, and if you want to move it around occasionally, as I do, it's in a league of its own.

22. harriska2 macrumors 6502a

harriska2

Life is full of compromises. The mac mini is no exception.

23. OLDGUYWITHAHIFI Suspended

OLDGUYWITHAHIFI

Good advice. I will most likely get a new 6 core mini to replace my 2014. I am still trying to decide if I need more than the i5.

Each upgrade is roughly $200. So I am weighing the options. Do I upgrade to an i7, add more memory, or go with 512gb of storage. I don't want to spend a ton and do it all, so I will pick one upgrade.

I do render video files often, and mostly type reports, do research, consume media, some photo editing, and use the mini as a Plex server attached to an external raid. Choices.

24. Cheapassmac macrumors regular

The audio drop outs seems kinda weird. While I don't think it's the T2 chip's fault, you're going to be hard press to find any new macs without it. There are external audio processing options you might want to consider if it really that was the case.

I've been using my i7 mac mini without any stuttering, all while transcoding h.265 in the background for days.

I assume OP checked if they had enough ram, didn't have faulty audio cables (because all the machines having audio drop out seems unrealistic).
    Well, basically you can get the i7 with 128gb hard drive for the same price as i5 with 256gb. Seems silly to go with an i5 when you could go with the i7 for the same price (since you are using an external hard drive anyway). Gun to the head I'll choose the cpu upgrade as top priority, but upping the RAM to 16gb is also fairly cost effective. Hard drive space from Apple is a waste, especially in your situation.

25. F-Train, Dec 11, 2018

F-Train macrumors 6502a

On audio, what I know is this:

Some people are complaining about audio drop-outs;
    Other people are complaining about audio drop-ins.

In my personal experience, using two minis for 26 days straight, with an audio interface connected all the time, and computer speakers or floor speakers or headphones going the whole time, I don't know what they are talking about.

I also know that the number of people who have raised actual problems with the mini on the audio issues thread in this forum can be counted on less than ten fingers; indeed, last I looked, about five.