Is There Any Point in Waiting?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by asimmd, Jun 14, 2012.

  1. asimmd macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Mar 24, 2012
    Location:
    UK
    #1
    Hi All

    Like most of us I was waiting for the upgrade that never happened.

    I don't have a Mac at the moment,never had one,but the main reason for wanting it is to run Logic Pro 9.

    I read somwhere that if I buy now,I will probably only get 12 months use from it before the Software updates overtake the machines capability,and I would need to get another Mac just to keep up.

    Would someone please comment on this and hopefuly help me make a decision.I really don't know what to do.

    Thanks

    Alan
     
  2. necromorph macrumors regular

    necromorph

    Joined:
    Jun 5, 2012
    Location:
    London
    #2
    I've been waiting for 7 months now, i almost caved and bought a 2011 model but for some reason i held back and now those in the know are saying the release of the new iMacs is imminent.

    I doubt that very much but being so close to the new iMac release, i would wait.
     
  3. maflynn Moderator

    maflynn

    Staff Member

    Joined:
    May 3, 2009
    Location:
    Boston
    #3
    Sure there's a point in waiting, apple will release an updated iMac in the future. Whether you can wait is the question, that is if you have an immediate need then go buy one. If you can defer the purchase for later then you'll be better off.
     
  4. JasperNL macrumors member

    Joined:
    May 18, 2012
    #4
    If you buy an iMac now, and a release of a new one is within 14 days, you can always return the 'old' one and get the new one.

    I am too tired of waiting, so I bought a new one. I was waiting for it since March...
     
  5. SHates macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jun 13, 2012
    #5
    Not sure where you heard that. You machine will last a lot longer than that before you start to even notice.

    Waiting depends on your current machine, if you absolutely need one now then maybe get a maxed out 2011. Personally I would wait until the end of July to see if it comes out with Mountain Lion.
     
  6. Occamsrazr macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Apr 26, 2012
    #6
    I'm waiting until the end of August. If no new iMac by then, I will buy a nice MBP or some other NEW hardware.

    No way am I paying 2012 dollars for 2010/11 hardware.
     
  7. iMacFarlane macrumors 65816

    iMacFarlane

    Joined:
    Apr 5, 2012
    Location:
    Adrift in a sea of possibilities
    #7
    I'm definitely holding out for the updated iMacs, but in reference to your quote above, I have a late 2009 iMac, Core 2 Duo. I've updated the OS from Snow Leopard to Lion, and never skip any software updates, and I'd say, if anything, it runs better than the day I took it out of the box. There are folks on this board waiting for the refresh that are happily using their 2008 and 2007 iMacs. The 2011 iMac is a fantastic machine, I'm sure. I just don't want to pay top dollar for old technology, hence the wait.
     
  8. 12dylan34 macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Sep 3, 2009
    #8
    Where on Earth did you hear this? From a Mac basher? Not true at all. 3-4 years at the very least, that is if you buy the lowest end hardware.

    If you need a new machine, get one. If not, wait for an update. It's just a personal decision if you want to spend top dollar for effectively last year's model.
     
  9. Liquinn Suspended

    Joined:
    Apr 10, 2011
    #9
    Why not buy the 27" model on amazon to save some money? Rather than paying full price with Apple?
     
  10. Cygnus311 macrumors regular

    Joined:
    May 6, 2006
    #10
    I'm currently using a MacBook that is over 6 years old. It took 5 years until I couldn't keep up with the software anymore, that is, I couldn't upgrade to Lion because Core Duos of the original MacBooks don't meet the minimum requirements.
     
  11. necromorph macrumors regular

    necromorph

    Joined:
    Jun 5, 2012
    Location:
    London
    #11
    It's still not worth the money amazon is asking for them although they offer a good price reduction when compared with Apple. The tech is out of date.
     
  12. fisha macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Mar 10, 2006
    #12
    I think it depends on what your going to use it for. If its general use ( web, emails, basic photos etc ) then the current one will do fine.

    If youre looking to use it for higher end things ( Adobe CS6, FCP/FCX ) then I reckon it would be worth holding out for the updated iMac. Based on the assumption that it'll change to nVidia graphics like the laptops, then the benefits of nVidia in things like CS6 would be worth the wait.
     
  13. danetello macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Dec 23, 2010
    Location:
    London, UK
    #13
    You can probably use it for a good 2-3 years without it becoming too slow. If it does become a little slow you can install ram very easily and bump it up to 16gb which is more than enough.
     
  14. lstone19 macrumors member

    Joined:
    May 3, 2010
    #14
    Another chiming in to say wrong. I am currently in the process of "re-purposing" a mid-2007 MBP (having just bought a new non-R MBP). It will be used for less intensive needs within our household and I expect to get another few years of use out of it. In the end, it was RAM (limited to 4GB on the 2007 models) that drove replacement for my needs. Speed is still fine so long as I don't try to have too much running at once. With iMacs and MBPs now supporting up to 16GB (at least unofficially), you should be fine for a few years.

    And of course, you aren't forced to upgrade software if what you have meets your needs. I still have my 20+ year old Macintosh Plus that I turn on just for fun occasionally. Still runs although for some strange reason, it won't let me install Lion on it. :)
     
  15. lozpop macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Mar 6, 2006
    #15
    For sure I'll wait until Mountain Lion release in July —*probably the end of July.
     
  16. fig macrumors 6502a

    fig

    Joined:
    Jun 13, 2012
    Location:
    Austin, TX
    #16
    I'm currently waiting on replacing a late 2006 white 20" iMac that runs Photoshop, Illustrator, and Maya daily so I'd say you'll be ok for 12 months or so ;)
     
  17. boy-better-know macrumors 65816

    boy-better-know

    Joined:
    Jun 30, 2010
    Location:
    England
    #17
    I am waiting still, I won't buy until a redesign. I have just bought a Retina MacBook Pro to make the wait a little bit easier though 
     
  18. drewyboy macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Jan 27, 2005
    #18
    I'd wait. It shouldn't (fingers crossed) be much longer. I would suspect august time frame, but as with everyone else, that's just an educated guess. Secondly, you should make sure to go to Appleinsiders buying guide (http://www.appleinsider.com/mac_price_guide/). Great job at finding lowest price in most common places.
     
  19. iMcLovin macrumors 68000

    iMcLovin

    Joined:
    Feb 11, 2009
    #19
    if you look at apple insiders buyers guid and price drops, its obvious that shops are trying to clear out their inventory. you can save above 120$ on the i5 if you buy it now.

    I´m curious, do shops buy in more of the current imacs? can they or are they just getting rid of the last models they have?
     
  20. asimmd thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Mar 24, 2012
    Location:
    UK
    #20
    Thanks for the replies.

    I think not having Mac makes the waiting harder,but your comments have convinced me to wait,at least until ML is released.

    If there is still no news,then I will think again.

    Alan
     
  21. Mike Valmike macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Feb 27, 2012
    Location:
    Chandler, Arizona
    #21
    Got a source?
     
  22. dayloon macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Apr 19, 2005
    Location:
    Stafford, UK
    #22
    If the release was imminent they would have launched them at wwdc.
     
  23. MightyWhite macrumors member

    Joined:
    Feb 29, 2012
    Location:
    Oxford UK
    #23
    My main worry is that I wait for a couple ore months then they release a new iMac but with a retina display that costs more than a new house so then I end up buying an old one anyway..... Makes me think of just blinkin buying one now.....

    This is driving me nuts.... Maybe there will be a "let's talk iMac" sudden epcial event soon out of the blue like the iPhone

    I can't wait to snap my useless dell laptop...
     
  24. Razorhog macrumors 65816

    Razorhog

    Joined:
    Sep 16, 2006
    Location:
    Arkansas
    #24
    I seriously doubt the 2012 iMac will have a retina display. Maybe the 2013 model, but that is still a maybe.
     
  25. MightyWhite macrumors member

    Joined:
    Feb 29, 2012
    Location:
    Oxford UK
    #25
    If it was leaked that the next one will look the same just have the new chips I would buy one tomorrow as the current specks enough for me but I would cry like a baby girl if a sexier iMac appeared one that looks like the thunderbolt display maybe.....
     

Share This Page