Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

user-name-here

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 31, 2013
It seems like the biggest advantage T-mobile had over ATT was cheaper prices to try and make up for their lack of coverage (check out the photo's attached to see).

Now that ATT is launching prepaid service AIO wireless though, it seems like that price advantage is being taken away as well.

t-mobile ---------------------- vs -------------------- aio wireless
$50/mo w/ taxes & fees ----- vs -------------------- $55/mo (tax free)
unlim call --------------------- vs -------------------- unlim call
unlim txt ---------------------- vs -------------------- unlim txt
500mb ------------------------- vs -------------------- 2gb

Seems like a no brainer right?

Attachments

• att coverage.png
    att coverage.png
    848.8 KB · Views: 186
  • tmobile coverage.png
    tmobile coverage.png
    867.7 KB · Views: 163

rojct20

macrumors member
May 15, 2013
SPI
Tmobile.

5GB Data with hotspot....$45.00 mo. Now 4GLTE in my area works great! Purchased iPhone 5 unlocked @ the Apple store.

Last edited:

PsstGreek

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2010
Tampa Bay
I wouldn't choose a carrier based solely on the price of their plans. Choose a carrier that offers you the best coverage and service in your area. AIO and T-Mobile are both going to have pros and cons for you.

I'm on T-Mobile and couldn't be happier. Made the switch from AT&T back in April.

user-name-here

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 31, 2013
I wouldn't choose a carrier based solely on the price of their plans. Choose a carrier that offers you the best coverage and service in your area. AIO and T-Mobile are both going to have pros and cons for you.

If based purely on the coverage then the maps above would favor AIO over T-mobile for around 99% of people.

Cancelled
Jun 21, 2010
I think it's hilarious how much EDGE TMobile still has. It's just ridiculous.

Blue is 2G
4fKcZ.png

Their network is a complete mess.

user-name-here

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 31, 2013
Doesn't hurt to try them out and see how it is.

I guess, but what about the wasted $ someone spends on a month of service and $50 restocking fee if they buy through t-mobile store?

Seems like a waste if you already know AIO wireless through ATT is better coverage to begin with.

mr.lavender

macrumors newbie
Aug 31, 2013
I'd pick t Mobile because the carrier AIO is written as "aio" in the status bar which doesn't look legit.

JackieInCo

Suspended
Jul 18, 2013
Colorado
I had to go with T-Mobile simply due to the fact that I can't get a reliable data connection on AT&T at my house. I can make phone calls but that is it.

On T-Mobile, I have an excellent signal, data speeds range from 17-26Mbps and I get LTE.

Unfortunately, you can't know how a carrier will be till you try them and I would not trust the carriers coverage maps. AT&T says I live in an area that should have good coverage but it is wrong.

Retired Cat

macrumors 65816
Jun 12, 2013
I'd pick t Mobile because the carrier AIO is written as "aio" in the status bar which doesn't look legit.

It'll take awhile for people to become aware of this brand, but once people realize that it is AT&T in disguise, I think AIO will be viewed as legit and not some MVNO that could disappear overnight.

T-Mobile may eventually have no choice but to respond to AIO's pricing. If AIO gains customers, I think T-Mobile will either have to raise data allowances, or drop prices on each of its current tiers by $5.

user-name-here

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 31, 2013

Interesting perspective on what is important...

Or you get T-Mobile prepaid with GV and get unlimited everything for $30? ;)
That's what I've been using for the past six months on my Nexus 4. Works great.

Sure doesn't sound great according to those on xda who use this method. The process also seems like a hassle to set up properly for the average customer. But please, feel free to tell us how VOIP will work reliably on Tmobiles network of mostly edge data speeds.

It'll take awhile for people to become aware of this brand, but once people realize that it is AT&T in disguise, I think AIO will be viewed as legit and not some MVNO that could disappear overnight.

T-Mobile may eventually have no choice but to respond to AIO's pricing. If AIO gains customers, I think T-Mobile will either have to raise data allowances, or drop prices on each of its current tiers by $5.

I agree, right now AIO has Tmobile beat on both coverage and price. This isn't even mentioning the fact that Tmobiles 1700/2100 bands it uses for HSPA+ have terrible building penetration compared to AT&Ts lower 900/1900 frequencies.

Glad AIO is being supported directly as an AT&T entity. Hopefully customers see that right now the price tiers are strictly better than Tmobile's. Can't see a so gle reason an average individual plan customer wouldn't choose AIO over Tmobile.

Cancelled
Jun 21, 2010
The only downside to AIO I see is that LTE and HSPA speeds aren't what the GoPhone and pist-paid customers get. It is limited.

Retired Cat

macrumors 65816
Jun 12, 2013
The only downside to AIO I see is that LTE and HSPA speeds aren't what the GoPhone and pist-paid customers get. It is limited.

Even if the AIO bandwidth is throttled, I wonder how this will affect the end user experience. If there's not much perceptible difference between AT&T and AIO, consumers might not care.

I checked AIO's website, and although their rollout hasn't gone national yet, they are very clear on the reason for their existence: to steal customers form T-Mobile.

user-name-here

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 31, 2013
The only downside to AIO I see is that LTE and HSPA speeds aren't what the GoPhone and pist-paid customers get.

Unless someone is downloading 100 gb sized torrents off pirate bay, I think 8 Mbps LTE and 4 Mbps HSPA+ will be plenty fast for the average customer.

Cancelled
Jun 21, 2010
Unless someone is downloading 100 gb sized torrents off pirate bay, I think 8 Mbps LTE and 4 Mbps HSPA+ will be plenty fast for the average customer.

Valid point. I'm on post-paid and won't ever give up my plan. Plus I like my 45+ mbps speeds :D

This is a fantastic alternative to the people who are considering jumping ship to TMo

atteligibility

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2012
I went with TMO over AIO because:
- AIO is an ATT company, I had been with ATT since the first iPhone, and I am with ATT for TV and internet, and I am just disgusted to have given them so much money in exchange of such a poor service.
- AIO employees are a bunch of liars or ignorant: they deny (I have spoken to 5 of them) having anything to do with ATT beside using their towers, they will tell you their speed is not capped, although it is, etc... typical ATT and disgusting
- "4G speed" is not full LTE, they cap it, as stated somewhere in their terms and conditions

btw, you mention the TMO options with tax and fees, you might also consider the prepaid option, which has the most of the same characteristics, but without the fees...

BruiserB

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2008
I stick with T-mobile simply because I don't make that many voice calls and the coverage is great in my area. $30 a month beats $55 a month and I get 5GB of high speed data. I use my cell minutes most of the time when out and about, but use VOIP when home on wi-fi.

What many seem to forget is that T-mobile doesn't just turn off your phone at 100 minutes....additional minutes are 10¢. So you can actually use 350 minutes before you will pay the same as the aio plan.

Also I buy my Tmobile refills on eBay and usually get a $50 refill for $40 or so. So that means my $30 plan really costs me around $24 a month with no taxes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.