Is there any way around the Applecare deadline?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by knidsrok, Sep 13, 2011.

1. knidsrok macrumors newbie

So, I bought an iPad in August of '10, and for some reason, decided to wait on getting the applecare plan for it. (I remember there being a convincing reason for this, but for the lift of me can't remember it now.)

Anyway, predictably, I completely forgot. So yesterday, when I discovered my iPad had developed some serious screen damage -- possibly heat related? -- I was dismayed to discover that I had never gotten around to getting the applecare, which you can buy at any point so long as the product is within warranty. Mine ended about a month ago.

So, before I crack the thing open and attempt to repair it myself, I just want to make sure -- there's no way to get around the warranty deadline in regards to purchasing applecare, right?

2. iDuel macrumors 6502a

iDuel

Nope. Once a year passes you will be unable to purchase and redeem AppleCare for your device.

Apple will still be able to service it for a fee.

3. Moof1904 macrumors 65816

Not true

My iPad 1 developed a 2" band of colored static-looking pixels just six days out of warranty. I went to the apple store and the nice people at the genius bar gave me a new iPad for free. When I inquired about AppleCare they said they could not sell it to me since it was out of warranty but if I called AppleCare they had more leeway.

I called AppleCare and told them about the genius bar replacing my one week out of warranty iPad and could i please get AppleCare for it, since it was now a new unit? They put me on hold and transferred me to someone with more authority who said yes.

Net result: free iPad for one that was a week out of warranty then AppleCare the next day.

4. aziatiklover macrumors 68030

aziatiklover

Even tho you warranty expired a month ago Apple will and still do a replacement free of charge! They will allow a month or so for expired warranty. Trust me I know I have done it so many times already.

5. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

1. There is no way to buy AppleCare now. And selling someone an insurance that covers damage that has already happened doesn't seem a clever business move, right?

2. You don't post where you live. Depending on which country you live in, Apple may be legally required to fix your iPad. In other countries, an Apple Store _can_ help you and they will or will not, depending on how long you are out of warranty, whether it is a problem that really shouldn't happen, and how you approach them.

6. Lone Deranger macrumors 65816

Lone Deranger

Now that’s quality service for you….

Knidsrok, just go to an Apple store near you and politely explain the situation before trying something rash. You may find (as Moof1904 and many others have found) that the genius will be lenient and help you out.