Is there any way to very quickly hang up?

Faize

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 23, 2011
To be more specific, does the iPhone have an equivalent to slamming the phone on someone?

Pressing the End Call button simply doesn't have the same effect - you have to wait until the phone detects that you've moved it away from your face and turns on the screen, and then you have to dismiss the Low Battery notification (if applicable), and only after all that can you actually press the End Call button.

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
The lock/sleep button on the top of the phone.
I discovered this on an earlier version of iOS but had completely forgotten about it!

It seems that iOS 7 takes longer to turn on the screen after you move the phone away from your face than previous versions of iOS.

DCIFRTHS

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2008
Glad you posted this question, as it was something I wondered about too. I'm even "more glad" ;) there is a solution. Thanks to all who replied :)

Mr. Buzzcut

macrumors 65816
Jul 25, 2011
Ohio
Oh, if you slam the phone down it will hang up on the other party. This tends to work only once, though.

Serelus

macrumors 6502a
Aug 11, 2009
Vm9pZA
Err... am I the only one with an iPhone who preserves the call when I lock the phone... I've never owned an iPhone that hangs up when I use the sleep/wake button it just saves the phonecall in the background.

powerstrokin

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2013
Shoot it with a gun.

Smash it repeatedly with a BFH.

Drop a wrecking ball on it.

Politely inquire as to the caller's location. Go there. Do any of the three aforementioned things while looking sternly in the eyes of the caller to REALLY get your point across.

or..

Say "Good day to you, Sir/Ma'am." and calmly end the call knowing that your blood pressure won't spike too high and pop that vein in your forehead. ;)

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
This button will not end a call. It will silence and send an incoming call to VM.
It will do that if you haven't answered the call yet (I believe one press to silence and one more to send to voice mail), but if you are already on the call (as the OP suggests) then the button will simply end the call.

IamLoki

macrumors newbie
Jan 12, 2014
Asgard
It will do that if you haven't answered the call yet (I believe one press to silence and one more to send to voice mail), but if you are already on the call (as the OP suggests) then the button will simply end the call.
Well I'll be damned, just tried it. 7 years of iPhones and I never knew this LOL

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.