Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

powerchord

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 4, 2007
right where I am
I'm moments away from ordering my very first Apple product :)
I can feel the jitters already.

I am getting a MBP 17", 2.4, with matte/hi-res display, and 200gb/7200rpm hd.
So far I have only added a modem and a printer.

What would you recommend as either necessary or worthy complements and/or components for my setup? (I mean hardware/accessories).
- extra keyboard?
- mouse (which one)?
- ????

thanks so much for your input.

in anticipation,
powerchord

Parsec

macrumors regular
Aug 24, 2007
N53 E004
I'd get:

- (recommended) a second skin cover to protect it when you are carrying it around
- (recommended) an iSkin Keyboard cover to prevent stuff from falling in between the keys
- a Mighty Mouse would be nice (unless you will use it for gaming)
- external keyboard(s) if you will be typing on it a lot at home and/or at the office
- airplane power adapter (which I don't have or need btw, just a consideration)
- (recommended) Axio Hybrid backpack (nice looking and very useful, lot's of storage, I have it)
- No mini-dvi cable since it comes with a normal DVI port and cable to VGA adaptor
- DVI-TV-out cable if you're going to play movies on a old TV
- DVI-HDMI adaptor if you're planning on hooking it up on a Plasma or LCD screen at high resolutions
- (recommended) Harmann-Kardon soundsticks II, looks and sounds great!

Other than this, I can't think of.

Hopefully this was helpful, if you have any more questions, PM me.

Fossie

macrumors member
Jan 5, 2008
A laptop bag. No need for anthing else.
Be wasting your money on a mini-dvi plug, as it has a full sized dvi port on the side...

powerchord

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 4, 2007
right where I am
I'd get:

- (recommended) a second skin cover to protect it when you are carrying it around
- (recommended) an iSkin Keyboard cover to prevent stuff from falling in between the keys
- a Mighty Mouse would be nice (unless you will use it for gaming)
- external keyboard(s) if you will be typing on it a lot at home and/or at the office
- airplane power adapter (which I don't have or need btw, just a consideration)
- (recommended) Axio Hybrid backpack (nice looking and very useful, lot's of storage, I have it)
- No mini-dvi cable since it comes with a normal DVI port and cable to VGA adaptor
- DVI-TV-out cable if you're going to play movies on a old TV
- DVI-HDMI adaptor if you're planning on hooking it up on a Plasma or LCD screen at high resolutions
- (recommended) Harmann-Kardon soundsticks II, looks and sounds great!

Other than this, I can't think of.

Hopefully this was helpful, if you have any more questions, PM me.

thanks! yes, you were helpful indeed!

chinarider

macrumors regular
Jan 7, 2008

This looks cook - Where can I find one in the U.S.?

jnc

macrumors 68020
Jan 7, 2007
Nunya, Business TX
Don't forget the Applecare!!! thats a must!

He's covered for a year, regardless. Applecare is not an essential purchase at the time of buying the model unless you think you'll need phone support (which you don't when you can just use sites like this!)

When you're nearing a year of ownership you'll have a better idea of what you'll do with the machine over the next 2, and have a better idea if it's worth going for Applecare.

what about an apple world travel adapter kit? I plan to go to Europe soon. or can I just buy any old adapter?

The MacBook Pro's power brick can take Europe's voltage, so you just need a figure-of-8 cable with a plug matching the Euro country of your choice.

They're incredibly cheap, you can pick one up from any electrical store once you touch down rather than buying an expensive apple solution.

RiCEADDiCTBOY

macrumors 6502a
Dec 26, 2007
wouldn't a 7200 add too much unwanted heat and age the laptop faster?

plus...with it spinning more frequently than a 5400...and a laptop used in mobility = increased chance in hd failure?

powerchord

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 4, 2007
right where I am
He's covered for a year, regardless. Applecare is not an essential purchase at the time of buying the model unless you think you'll need phone support (which you don't when you can just use sites like this!)

When you're nearing a year of ownership you'll have a better idea of what you'll do with the machine over the next 2, and have a better idea if it's worth going for Applecare.

The MacBook Pro's power brick can take Europe's voltage, so you just need a figure-of-8 cable with a plug matching the Euro country of your choice.

They're incredibly cheap, you can pick one up from any electrical store once you touch down rather than buying an expensive apple solution.

yes, you're right I just saw some at Radioshack and Amazon for a fraction of the price.

wouldn't a 7200 add too much unwanted heat and age the laptop faster?

plus...with it spinning more frequently than a 5400...and a laptop used in mobility = increased chance in hd failure?

AAAHH! this was my paranoiac fear all day today. I researched all day but mainly got inconclusive evidence/info, only opinions!

Say it ain't so Joe:eek:

I was just about to push the button and order!!!

Thanks a lot;)

anyone. anyone. last comments. Bueller?

capitanbuzo

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2007
Well, the laptop I am going to order is going to be realy hot. Going for the 2.6 AND the 7200. Wow, I am crazy.

RiCEADDiCTBOY

macrumors 6502a
Dec 26, 2007
Yeah, Apple offers these configurations and doesn't think for a second about whether the machine could handle them or not! Careless bastards!

well...your sarcasm is missing the point that apple has been using the same chassis since Powerbook G4...and keeps adding more hardware...a few more vent slots and what not is not going to address heating issues...and there a quite a few severe cases reported already....

richard.mac

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2007
51.50024, -0.12662
mini-DVI cable for an external monitor...

this is included with the macbook pros.

id recommend a neoprene sleeve. its like a little wetsuit for your notebook and adds that little bit more of protection when its in a bag. its also useful for when you dont have your MBP in a padded laptop bag. also go for a bluetooth wireless mighty mouse. i find its a really great mouse, very fast and accurate. but if you want two "actual" mouse buttons go for a logitech or a microsoft wireless mouse.

KingYaba

macrumors 68040
Aug 7, 2005
Up the irons
I have found an external monitor to be extremely enjoyable at home when not on the road. A keyboard and mouse would be needed. Other than that, I would get some iKlear to wipe the screen down when it gets all smudgy. Damned people always put their greasy fingers on my screen when they wish to point things out.

Hold off on the RAM, hard drives (external) and Applecare until later. Use your machine for a month or two then decide if they are needed.

I noticed you said you traveled to Europe so get one of those universal gizmos that allow you to plug your notebook into the electrical socket.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.