Is there anything in 4.0 that a JB iPhone can't already do?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by TSX, Apr 8, 2010.

1. TSX macrumors 68030

TSX

Is there anything in 4.0 that a JB iPhone can't already do? At least in cydia there's an ad-blocker.

2. ngenerator macrumors 68000

ngenerator

Nope. Well, we don't get as many ads as 4.0 will apparently get, lol

3. eezing macrumors 6502

eezing

Not really, but 4.0 just does it better.

4. Revelation78 macrumors 68000

Revelation78

Ads are at the developers discretion, so yes you'll get just as many...

5. STEVESKI07 macrumors 68000

STEVESKI07

The main thing for me is Multitasking. Yes, you can have that with a JB iphone but its nothing like the Apple version.

Try leaving Skype backgrounded an entire day on your JB phone while running other apps and see how it affects your battery life and performance. I'm sure your phone wouldn't make it 8 hours. Now try it with 4.0's way and your battery SHOULD only be impacted very slightly.

6. ngenerator macrumors 68000

ngenerator

7. UngratefulNinja macrumors 68000

UngratefulNinja

Wait- you haven't even tried it yet, and you know it'll be better than the jailbreaking alternatives? :confused:

8. medicscott macrumors 6502a

medicscott

im not excited about 4.0 at all, and nothing about releasing a new iphone model. since im on 3G and wont be able to get 4.0, its useless. i already get everything 4.0 offers now thru JB...

makes no sense, unless they are going to release a new iphone. im not buying a 3GS to get 4.0.

edit: and how can apple's multitasking be better? multitasking is multitasking...works great now with backrounder.

9. bengtc macrumors regular

web site search suggestions from within safari?

10. dacapo macrumors 6502

Sure, while OS 4.0 will do some things better than jailbreak, here are some reasons I will still want my jailbroken phone for:

MyWi (tethering)
    SBSettings (quick access to useful settings)
    3G Unrestrictor

Long live JB!

11. TSX thread starter macrumors 68030

TSX

Can't forget about ad-blockr

12. loki007420 macrumors member

has there been a release date set for 4.0 yet? Or is it still slated for "summer" release..

13. labman macrumors 604

labman

how many 4.0

threads are you going to start today? on the JB side I doubt many of us are in a rush for 4.0 lots of stuff missing for us!

14. medicscott macrumors 6502a

medicscott

summer. as you remember they gave that kind of answer for the MMS feature...and that came a couple days after summer was over.

15. TSX thread starter macrumors 68030

TSX

More than likely it will be released with the next iPhone.

16. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

um fall, not summer

17. F123D macrumors 68040

F123D

I cannot live without 3G unrestrictor. Only way I'd uprade is if there's a JB hack for it and I can use this feature in the new phone.

18. ViViDboarder macrumors 68040

ViViDboarder

Fall for iPad, summer for iPhone.

All iPhones will get 4.0 but only 3Gs and iTouch 3rd Gen will get Multi-Tasking.

Jailbroken phones with Stacks v3 or SBCategories, Bosspaper or Winterboard, and backgrounder with Kirake or any other manager for backgrounder all do the same things.

As for a better backgrounding in 4.0, I think there probably is. From the sounds of it, I haven't tested the SDK yet, they have a special API for running certain types of backgrounded apps.

So Pandora basically creates it's own process JUST for the music. Combined with a better save state feature that Apple is toting this will let you exit the app which will unload all the navigation buttons and GUI from your memory and save the state. The audio will still play in the background.

For VoIP they will be doing the same thing. Most likely like a daemon process. It'll allow it to be running in the background as a smaller process than the full application and then send a local notification to your OS and you can answer your calls. When you switch apps it goes back to the minimal process and kills the GUI and lets you multitask. When you navigate back it reloads the GUI.

The current implementation with Backgrounder leaves the entire app running in your memory. GUI and all.

So yes, the 4.0 implementation is better. Will I get it? No I have a 3G and I have no intention of updating to a 3Gs. Unless the next iPhone has great specs I'll be getting the EVO 4G which already has these features.

19. UngratefulNinja macrumors 68000

UngratefulNinja

Thanks for explaining all of that vivid. That makes better sense to me now :)

20. ViViDboarder macrumors 68040

ViViDboarder

No problem. I'm just guessing though. I would have to download the SDK this weekend to find out for sure, but it's pointless because I have a 3G. :p

So, if they DIDN'T do what I think they did... then it's a big ol' fail and no better than Backgrounder. :)

21. foob macrumors 6502

foob

Backgrounder is really a poor way to do multitasking. It's a sure bet they did something like ViViDboarder is guessing.

I'm glad I got a Nexus One so I can stay with 3.1 forever on my iphone. This iAd thing sounds like pure hell.

[​IMG]

22. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

I LOLed. We also don't have Apple telling us what we can do.

23. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

No matter what new firmware features are released you will always be able to do more with no restrictions on a jb iPhone.

24. rotobadger macrumors 65816

rotobadger

Can't believe no one has mentioned a big new feature (in my opinion) that, as far as I know, our JB phones can't do: Bluetooth keyboard. LOVE that option! I travel a great deal but really can't reply to lengthy emails on my iPhone as typing becomes tedious. I'd love to have a small bluetooth keyboard handy. Great for vacations when I don't bring my laptop with me. Also, will it be usable for games??? That would be GREAT for MAME, SNES, etc!

EDIT: Oops! That's what I get for not using Google first. Cydia has a BT keyboard app after all. Still, very cool and would be great to see it usable on JB games like MAME.

25. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Did they mention anything similar to quickreply for SMS?