Is there anyway to replace my battery with lighter one?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by fratdoan, Jun 9, 2018.

1. fratdoan macrumors newbie

fratdoan

Hello everyone, I'm kinda new on the forum.

I have early 2011 15" MacbookPro and still works very well for basic use. I've already replaced its HDD and removed the optical drive, upgraded its RAM capacity over the years.

I can still use my macbook but want to make it lighter than now. Is there any way to replace my battery with the other type of macbook battery (Ex. 2014 MacbookPro) to make it lighter? If it is what kind of battery should I buy? I can fix the any kind of problems about stabilizing it.

I don't mind that the new battery may shorten the time of usage. I just want to make it lighter :) Also I'm open to other suggestions to make early 2011 15" MacBookPro lighter.

Thank you!

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Nope, not really and besides lighter = less capacity. How many ounces would you guess you'd save even if it were possible?

3. jerryk macrumors 601

You might see what the used prices are for a 2013 MBP pros. I suspect they are pretty low. And you would get a lighter system, and a much better screen.

4. Fishrrman macrumors P6

Fishrrman

The battery "is what it is".
    And there aren't any "lighter" replacements.

5. fratdoan thread starter macrumors newbie

fratdoan

Im ok with loosing some capacity, actually my battery is also 5 years old and takes 2 and half hour to finish, Thanks for replying.
    --- Post Merged, Jun 9, 2018 ---
    Yeah I thought about the same but I do have 2017 retina iMac as well, I'm just using my old MacBook Pro to take some notes and watch videos on bed. Looking fo the cheapest option to make it more portable :) Thanks.

6. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

There is no way to make it more portable as far as weight goes, you can replace the battery of course and get better battery life but thats about it.

7. flyinmac macrumors 68040

flyinmac

There is always helium.

Install a bladder system, then inflate and get there before it gets heavy again. Note, you can probably hold more helium in a carrying case.

2nd note... I wouldn’t do it.

8. jerryk macrumors 601

If that is your use case, consider an iPad, and if you need type more get a keyboard cover.