Is there currently an UNLIMITED data plan through AT&T?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by jlblodgett, Dec 31, 2016.

1. jlblodgett macrumors 6502a

Aside from the original iPad data plan which I believe was unlimited - is there currently an unlimited data plan for the iPad? In other words - if I go buy an iPad today, is there a way to get unlimited data?

I have AT&T as my iPhone provide - and I have an unlimited iPhone plan because I purchased the original iPhone many years ago. I also have AT&T Uverse as my home television provider (U450 plan.)

If I was to go purchase a new iPad today, is there a way for me to get unlimited data?

Thank you.

2. bursthead macrumors 6502

bursthead

I think there is a trick to add it on to the newer att phone unlimited plans that require direct tv service. You would be paying the 100 for the first line plus the 40 for the ipad.

3. Channan macrumors 68030

Channan

The only unlimited plan available through AT&T still is the one with DirecTV. It's expensive, but one huge benefit to this plan is hotspot is available on tablets for some reason. I've been using this plan for almost a year now and the hotspot has always been available.

It's only available for tablet lines, though, which means you can't get a phone line and put your SIM card in a tablet to get it to work. It has to be for tablets, which also means you can't put the SIM in a phone to just get data. :/

4. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

From what I have read att still reserves the right to throttle you connection after so many GB. So there is no such thing as UNLIMITED.

5. Channan macrumors 68030

Channan

Well since throttling means reduced speeds and not a limit to how much you're allowed to use, it's still unlimited. Whether or not you dislike how slow it is is irrelevant.

6. M. Gustave macrumors 68000

M. Gustave

128kbps is unusable with the modern internet. This isn't 1999.

So, no it's not actually "unlimited" in any practical sense. And that of course is the whole point, for AT&T.

7. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

I have no dislike as my iPad Pro has the original data unlimited plan on it. I have had it now for years.

Thanks for you lesson about ATT.

You must be great at parties.

8. tl01 macrumors 65816

Please explain more...we have the direct tv unlimited plans for phones...we can add unlimited to iPads too? How much is it per month? And you are saying tethering works? My mom has unlimited original on her iPad and I have never tried to get her to pass it to me (she hardly uses any data) since it doesn't have tethering.

9. Channan macrumors 68030

Channan

Again, whether or not you're happy with the speeds, it's still unlimited. They don't limit how much you can use, just how fast you can use it.

You must have been great on the debate team.

It's the same price as for phones. $40 per tablet. You obviously don't get standard minutes or texting (there are still apps for this, for example Hangouts with Google Voice) but you do get unlimited hotspot included. It's not supposed to be, but it's been available for the almost year I've had this plan and it's only for tablets, not phones.

10. aristobrat macrumors G5

I don't think the 128kbps has to do with unlimited plans.

The only time I see AT&T mention it in their Network Practices is when a limited plan has used all of its data for a cycle. Instead of immediately charging the customer an overage charge, AT&T slows their data down to 128kbps until their cycle resets. Customer has the option to pay to add regular-speed data, if they want.

Unlimited data plans seem to only get throttled temporarily, when the network is congested, and AT&T doesn't specify the speeds:

"After 22GB of data usage on a line in a bill cycle, AT&T may slow data speeds on that line when the network is congested. If congestion ends or you move to an uncongested site, speed will no longer be affected."

11. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

Slow is not irrelevant.

I had much better to do than be on the debate team! But thanks.

12. M. Gustave macrumors 68000

M. Gustave

The unlimited plan page links directly to the broadband info page you posted, where it says:

"Our Mobile Share Advantage Plans provide customers allotments of high speed data that they may share among different devices. Once customers exceed their allotments of high speed data -- which includes the plan data, any available Rollover Data (click here for Rollover Data information) or other data allotments customers may have -- during a billing period, they may continue to consume data at no extra charge, but at significantly lower speeds when connected to the cellular network. Specifically, after a customer uses all available data allotments in a billing cycle, the customer’s service over the cellular network will transmit data at a maximum of 128kbps for the remainder of the billing cycle unless the customer upgrades to a rate plan with a higher allotment of high speed data access before the end of the billing cycle. Once a customer’s speeds are limited, the customer’s connection over the cellular network should still allow viewing a web page or checking email. Bandwidth-intensive activities, including audio and video streaming, picture and video messaging, select apps and services, as well as other usage (including sponsored data) will be impacted and may not be fully functional."

The 22GB on the "Unlimited Plan" is an "other data allotment". And on top of that, they don't allow tethering or hotspots on unlimited plans, so cord-cutters need to look elsewhere, unless you're single, no kids, and cool with one device...

13. max2 macrumors 68000

Yes but it is throttled if you go over 22GB plus need to sign up for DirectTV package.

14. Channan macrumors 68030

Channan

Yes, the speed is irrelevant when talking about an amount. Again, you can use as much as you want, just maybe sometimes not as fast as you want.

I'm not in a heavily crowded area so I'm never throttled anyway.

15. M. Gustave macrumors 68000

M. Gustave

If your city said you can use 22 gallons of water per week, and after that it's "unlimited" but comes out of your tap at a drip pace, you'd say otherwise.

You might not be throttled in your area, but obviously no tethering or hotspots isn't a problem for you either. This plan seems tailored to twenty-somethings.

16. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

He either does not understand of is just stubborn. Maybe both.

17. aristobrat macrumors G5

The page says a lot of things, as it literally covers every policy that AT&T has for broadband (both wired and wireless).

The section you refer to begins and ends with reference to "Mobile Share Advantage Plans", and then goes on to explain precisely how data is throttled on those plans. It doesn't mention "Unlimited Data Plans" at all, and the part of that section that refers to "maximum of 128kbps for the remainder of the billing cycle" is just flat out wrong in terms of Unlimited Data Plans, which are only throttled temporarily during times of network congestion.

Anecdotally, you know that if unlimited data folks here on MacRumors got throttled down to 128kbps, there would be thread after thread about greedy AT&T's practices. I can't find any posts like that here.

I don't disagree with your overall thought on the Unlimited Data Plan. I'm eligible to switch to it, but the lack of tethering is a deal breaker for me.

18. Channan macrumors 68030

Channan

I would not say otherwise. It's the same exact thing.

You're definitely the stubborn one. AT&T promised unlimited data, not unlimited speeds. You can argue it all you want, but you'll still be wrong.

19. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

It is not bad being stubborn when you are right.

Done here. You just want to argue from what I see in your other threads.

You lack entertainment.

20. Channan macrumors 68030

Channan

It's not really arguing when you can't even counter my point properly. You're countering what I'm saying with something unrelated so all I can do is repeat myself.

21. synonys macrumors member

synonys

There is a lot of misinformation in this thread that needs to be addressed.
    1. AT&Ts unlimited isn't just for directv customers. You can also have Uverse TV service and qualify. This is welcome news to the original poster.

2. AT&T doesn't throttle after 22GB, they de-prioritize your data. Your speeds are determined by traffic on the tower you are connected to at any moment. 99.9% of the time you will not notice any difference and if you are connected to a congested tower your speed will not be 128kbps.

22. SoN1NjA macrumors 65816

SoN1NjA

So wouldn't a 1GB Verizon plan with Safety Mode be "unlimited data"
    "speeds are irrelevant"

If ATT slowed down to 3G, I could understand, but 2G (128Kbps) isn't anything

23. Channan macrumors 68030

Channan

Yes.

And why would it matter how much they slow it down? If they slowed it down to 3G speeds, you'd still consider it unlimited data, but any slower and it's no longer unlimited?

I don't know why some people are getting so worked up about AT&T's plan anyway. They don't slow you down after 22GB. You may get slowed down during times of congestion. After that your normal speeds resume and you can continue using as much as you want however you want.

24. BuffaloTF, Jan 4, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2017

BuffaloTF macrumors 6502a

I have yet to hear of anyone that's been throttled and there's a forum filled with insane power users hitting triple digit GB usages... and that even applies across to the no-overages data bucket plans. Throttling is done based on demand at the tower you're on, and AT&T has so many bands running you just get shifted to a different band and keep on keeping on.

This is a false analogy and a logical fallacy, simultaneously. It's a pathetic strawman people bring up because it's so confounding most people just give up rather than try to explain how you're wrong. AT&T isn't selling water (making it a false analogy), and water is a metered service by those that sell it (making it a logical fallacy). You pay for what you use down to the "drip" at a rate set by your muncipality or provider and it comes out at a speed you control manually. So if you want your "unlimited water" rules applied to data, prepare to pay for each byte of data and pay handsomely at that. You see, when the reverse course is applied to your poor logic, you suddenly are asking for a very bad thing.

And it is unlimited data, no matter how you want to slice it. You can use as much data as you want. The speed isn't what they said was unlimited, they aren't selling speeds like a cable company...