Is there customer demand for a new MacBook Pro?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by wozmatic, Apr 15, 2016.

1. wozmatic macrumors 6502

wozmatic

I'm just curious if we're crazy outsiders to want a new MBP?

I've seen A LOT of people on here wanting a MBP but Apple hasn't been too helpful on this front.

Based on the products released by Apple, I think THEY think that consumers only want small thin laptops for surfing the internet and don't care about pro features...

- Do we know the current user stats for MBP users right now?

- Is there any evidence or polls or stats that show approximately how many consumers are seeking a new MBP?

2. ssong macrumors 6502a

ssong

TBH from my experience I think given the widespread nature of the the 13' rMBP as well as the 27' 5k iMacs being used as a virtual industry standard for 'professional' uses, proved to Apple that pure power isn't always necessary.

People obviously have different opinions on that, but the fact that iPads and rMB can be used for AV editing through software optimisation means that Apple will continue to try to dictate what the customer needs.

Given the fact that they've been streamlining and simplifying a lot of the consumer and 'pro' grade tools they used to make to make it more user friendly kinda proves my point as well, imo Apple thinks that the current 'pro' market is overly complicated and they will try to streamline and simplify processes to what they deem is 'good enough'.

Just my 2 pence.

3. iPaul93 macrumors newbie

iPaul93

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

There's demand for MBPs now, so why wouldn't that demand continue with a newer model? Apple at some point as to rollout something shiny and new to keep the customers coming back

5. navaira macrumors 68040

navaira

I have a feeling that new Macs aren't coming as long as the current ones are selling... I'd love to be proven wrong but just look at the Buyer's Guide, almost everything needs refresh. The non-retina MB Pro is almost four years old! (Let's not even go into Mac Pro...)

6. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

7. brand macrumors 601

brand

The number of posts on a thread is equal to the pieces of evidence. In fact 9 out of the first 11 posts don't even mention those posters as waiting for a new MacBook Pro. You might want to read at least some of the 10,000 posts in that thread before deciding that they are all evidence in support of something. Unless the point you were trying to make was that you had almost 10,000 pieces of evidence that there is no demand for a new MacBook Pro.

8. cube, Apr 16, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2016
  9. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

I didn't literally comb through every post and think there were 10,000 separate, distinct bits of evidence...

It's a thread of over 350 pages. About waiting for the next MacBook Pro. I'd hazard a guess at least some of them are there because they're doing exactly that.

Not sure how you can spin that into evidence of 'no demand'...

10. brand macrumors 601

brand

I didn't say there was no demand. I was inquiring if that was the point you were trying to make because you said that there were 10,000 pieces of evidence and over 80% of the first 11 posts in no way mentioned that they were waiting for a new MacBook Pro. I didn't bother reading anymore since the actual numbers were close to opposite of what was claimed.

11. boast macrumors 65816

boast

Isn't the MBA their highest selling laptop? I don't have any numbers with me, but I believe that is what I have read.

12. navaira macrumors 68040

navaira

In the last year I read both that MBA and rMB are their highest selling laptop. If only they provided numbers. We have to count on Generally Reliable Ming-Chi Kuo I guess.

13. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

Yes there is demand, and they will release new ones soon not sure what else can be said.

14. snaky69 macrumors 603

90% of the people I know would have their computing needs met, or even exceeded by a tablet. Those that don't usually have work-supplied computers and thus don't need to have a powerful one of their own.

15. MRxROBOT macrumors 6502

MRxROBOT

We better see USB C in the Pro Line soon. Ridiculous that the MacBook has it and not the Macbook Pro.

16. Closingracer macrumors 68000

17. Closingracer macrumors 68000

Cool? Still isn't anywhere close to what the vast majority are demanding...... Forums is the worse place to look at what the public wants. Only a small amount of people go talk on forums at all.

18. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

Why? it's no better than USB 3, actually a hell of a lot worse as most people have peripherals that would need an adapter to use. Now if you wanted a USB C / TB3 port for an external GPU's or a 5k screen then fair enough but USB C on its own will be more trouble than it's worth for 2-3 years at least...

19. Closingracer macrumors 68000

I would rather have USB 3.0 than USB 3.1 or USB C. IF they removed Thunderbolt 2 with Thunderbolt 3 with USB C plug I am perfectly fine with that since I don't use Thunderbolt 2 at all anyways.

20. MRxROBOT macrumors 6502

MRxROBOT

You are very quick to assume that I want to do away with the USB 3 ports we have now. I think as the "Pro" machine, the Macbook Pro should have at least one USB C 3.1 in addition to the USB 3 ports we have. Aside from USB 3 being used for so many things, USB C 3.1 is in fact better in every way.

21. crankmeup macrumors member

crankmeup

I'm afraid that if they decide to use USB-C ports they will go full throttle and get rid of any other USB ports. Kinda staying in fashion of dictating the market what people need and want (it's been their policy since day one).

22. MRxROBOT, Apr 18, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2016

MRxROBOT macrumors 6502

MRxROBOT

It's reasonable to assume they held off on USB C until they introduce Thunderbolt 3. That makes sense for a number of reasons.

23. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

Apple will undoubtedly go USB C as they are overly focused on producing ever thinner portables. To attain the wedge shape of the Retina MacBook in a equal or smaller form factor than the current 13" Air USB A type ports and MagSafe are likely to be cut, in favour of form over function.

Well that`s that`s my opinion, we will see soon enough...

Q-6