Is there some sort of screen saver needed?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by davidlw, Mar 2, 2010.

1. davidlw macrumors 6502a

Should we get some sort of screen saver for the iPad. Is there such a thing, it would be really big and expensive.

2. VenusianSky macrumors 65816

VenusianSky

Do you mean screen protector? I imagine somebody is making one, though I couldn't imagine using an iPad with one on.

3. goobot macrumors 603

goobot

its called the lock screen

if you mean screen protector sure

4. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

I have a 3GS, and one of the most enjoyable and practical features is the oleophobic glass surface. I'd never cover it, and I'm not planning on covering the iPad. (I didn't cover my 1G either. The glass used is very resistant to scratching, unlike something like a Palm - which I do cover.)

5. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

I cover all my gadget displays (cameras, iPhone, etc). I'll get one for my iPad too. Should be lots of Hong Kong sellers with them for a couple bucks shipped. I'd never spend the $15, 20+ some of the "official" accessory suppliers ask for. That said, I don't think it's really "necessary."

6. tofagerl macrumors 6502a

tofagerl

Take a look at Invisible Shield. It's the only one I would consider using, but if I get it it will be mostly for the back ;)

7. johndango macrumors member

I don't use protection, but if I did, I'd use Invisible Shield.

8. SchneiderMan macrumors G3

SchneiderMan

9. mark34 macrumors 6502a

i will probably get a slip on case. I personally hate the screen protector things. Every time i see someone use one I scratch my head and ask how it doesn't drive them nuts. They inevitably have either bubbles or misalignment.. i can always notice it. The screens are tough on these devices. and as someone else said, the screen on the 3GS is amazing. I do use an appropriate cloth and wipe it off before viewing video, but with the 3GS that is almost unnecessary.

The iPhone, for me, is such a nice design, I really prefer to use it without some cover on it. I do like to protect it, and much more so for iPad, when i throw it in a bag or something.... thats where a slip on case is perfect.

10. darngooddesign macrumors G3

This is very subjective.

I've had all the flavors of iPhones and I actually found the need to cover my 3Gs. The main reason was that the coating makes the screen slightly tacky to my fingers. While this isn't an issue for normal uses I really noticed it while playing games. My thumbs wouldn't slide as easily as they did on my 2G or 3G, and its really noticeable when playing games that require slight movements.

Secondary is that while glass doesn't scratch the coating will and there have been various reports of the coating wearing away in high-traffic areas of the screen. That may never happen to me, but at least my main first reason eliminates any danger of the second reason.

PS. With my screen on I don't even notice the one or two tiny bubble I have.

11. Bytor65 macrumors 6502a

I would never use a screen "protector". Even on my old Palm with a soft screen, I quickly realized that a protector made the screen look worse than a lifetime of use without one would.

12. joseluis.17 macrumors regular

I don't think it'll be necessary if you buy a case for it

13. tofagerl macrumors 6502a

tofagerl

Well, a case would _be_ a screen protector in a way. Buying a bike to get to work wouldn't be necessary if you got a car to get to work ;)

14. Gymgenius Suspended

Same here. Actually, that reminds me, I emailed them to ask if they'd be doing a larger product for the iPad screen - and they never replied :-(

15. johndango macrumors member

Putting a screen protector that big on would be difficult to say the least.

16. greygray macrumors 68000

greygray

I would prefer Macmosphere's antiglare screen protectors.

17. darngooddesign macrumors G3

A bike is far less expensive than a car. ;)