Is there still a loophole for unlocking replacement iPhones?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by wordoflife, Oct 18, 2016.

1. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

In the past I was able to unlock a replacement iPhone through AT&T even though my original iPhone would have not been eligible at the time. Does anyone know if this still exists in some capacity? Was curious since I'll be getting a replacement 7 soon.

2. wordoflife thread starter macrumors 604

wordoflife

If anyone's curious, I got my replacement iPhone in the mail today and put the IEMI in AT&T's unlock portal before turning it on. AT&T shortly after confirmed my unlock.

Not sure if its actually unlocked (will test it soon) or if it'll relock at some point in the future, but those are my 2cents

3. Statusnone88 macrumors 65816

Statusnone88

I've done this the last two years. With my 6 Plus and 6s Plus. Gotten replacement units from Apple (one through warranty one through AppleCare+) and was able to unlock both since technically that IMEI number wasn't attached to the Next installment.

4. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

Any replacement phone received can be unlocked. When you originally buy the device the IMEI number is locked to an AT&T contract. But the replacement device IMEI number is not specific to AT&T and not tied to a contract, therefore it can be unlocked immediately.