Is there still reason for an iPad if you have an iPhone 6+?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by respectabilia, Oct 5, 2014.

1. respectabilia, Oct 5, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2014

respectabilia macrumors regular

As a 6 Plus user, if you have an iPad or plan on getting one, where do you think that fits in with your 6 Plus? Is an iPad Mini pretty much defunct now? Is there still use for an iPad Air? If so, what use cases does the iPad still fill for you (I would assume something like PDF mark ups or art etc)?

2. Appl3FTW macrumors 601

Appl3FTW

I'm debating on this as well. But I want to buy the next apple device.. Ahem iPads lol

3. D1G1T4L macrumors 68000

D1G1T4L

I still prefer to do my reading on my iPad mini over my 6+.

4. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

Nothing would replace my iPad Air.

Well maybe a 12" Air!

5. ELPresidente720 macrumors 6502

I'd tend toward no, barring lots of use as an e-reader. I haven't touched my iPad since I got my vanilla 6. I've barely touched my Macbook.

6. Appl3FTW macrumors 601

Appl3FTW

Lulz debating whether to buy the iPad pro or get the surface pro

7. Hal~9000 macrumors 68000

Hal~9000

This thread doesn't make much sense to me :confused:

OP is basically saying that devices with much bigger screens don't have any point to exist now that a 5.5 inch phone has arrived? Does he understand how much more viewing space a 9.7 inch screen diagonally has vs a rectangular 5.5 inch screen?

8. D1G1T4L macrumors 68000

D1G1T4L

I think you are making it much more than what he is trying to ask.

9. sheldomacrumors macrumors member

In my opinion the plus mirros the iPad in many ways the only logical reason to have both if there was a bigger iPad put in to production. I got the 6 with in mind that I could get the iPad mini and have the difference in os (landscape ect ie iPhone plus)

10. dannynjoni macrumors member

I was just saying the same thing in another thread. Time will tell.

11. koigirl macrumors 6502a

koigirl

It's not a replacement for me when I'm at home on the Web, reading, watching video, etc., but 6+ sure is nice when I'm out and about without my iPad. I no longer need to drag it along to dr. appts, car servicing, etc. as the 6+ has such a nice big screen. Responding to lengthy emails and reading document files is easier than it used to be when I'm not at home or office. I won't be giving up my iPad Air but Apple is going to have to give me more compelling reasons to continue annual or even semi-annual iPad upgrades. 2GB RAM in new iPad Air or I won't even consider it.

12. respectabilia thread starter macrumors regular

This is actually what I was thinking would happen...but I still haven't got a 6 Plus to confirm.

I've been carrying around an iPhone 5 in my pocket and an iPad mini in a small sling pouch alongside keys, wallet etc. Sometimes I've even been carrying an external battery pack for the added juice for when my iPhone 5 would die after heavy use.

With the 6 Plus, I'm assuming I wouldn't so much need to carry around an iPad mini nor an extra battery pack but just carry the 6 Plus as a semi-portable phone and tablet...dare I say it, a Phablet.

But the iPad can still have its use at home or when I know I'll be needing it at meetings, work, etc. Probably the iPad Air as opposed to the iPad Mini since the tablet now becomes less about portability and instead more about added screen estate?

Anyway, those are my assumptions. But you guys have the 6 so look forward to your thoughts.

13. mhoward223 macrumors member

Other than you cant get ipad only apps on the iPhone 6plus

14. PatrickNSF macrumors 6502

PatrickNSF

I think once the novelty of the 6+ wears off, people may go back to using their iPads for in-home use. At least, that was my case...

I had the 6+ for a little over a week, and pretty much used it exclusively even around the house, but as the week went on I started using my mini more and more for reading and general web surfing at home (i.e., the things I used to use to for before trying the 6+).

15. 12vElectronics macrumors 68040

12vElectronics

One is a phone and the other a tablet. I have the need for both.

16. respectabilia thread starter macrumors regular

Do you take your iPad mini out of the house with you anymore now that you've got the 6 plus?

----------

If you had the option now that you've got a 6 plus, would it make more sense to get the Air or the mini is fine, despite the relatively smaller screen difference?

17. jdamiano macrumors member

This is something I've been struggling with since the September 9th keynote when the plus was unveiled. I planned on buying an Air 2 when it's released but now I'm complimenting replacing my current iPad and my 5s all together for one 6 plus. I'm gonna wait till the October 16th keynote to make my final desicion.

18. CoyoteRidge macrumors member

Yes there is still a reason to purchase an IPad even it you purchased an IPhone 6 Plus. The IPhone 6 Plus DOES NOT offer either a 7.9 inch or 9.7 inch diagonal screen that IPads offer. Either IPad offers FAR MORE display real estate than the IPhone 6 Plus.

19. deviant macrumors 65816

I love laying in bed and watching NBA on ipad air. Or a tv show. Or reading longforms. An ipad is still an ipad. It's still bigger than iphone 6+. A phone becomes bigger by 1,5 inch and suddenly a device that's 2,5 inches or 4,2 inches bigger is defunct?

20. 12vElectronics macrumors 68040

12vElectronics

Same. In bed I love using the large screen of my Mini to web surf, watch youtube, etc

21. veedubshafer macrumors 6502

Do you stIll need a shovel now that you have a snowblower?

22. sillywabbit macrumors 6502a

Iphone plus= web, message boards, youtube, text, email, etc.

TV = movies.

I was thinking about buying an iPad mini or similar tablet, but now, with the plus, I think it is perfect "almost" all in one device.

23. PatrickNSF macrumors 6502

PatrickNSF

I sent back the 6+ and kept the 6.

I handed off my iPad 3 once the original mini came out, and now use a rMini. Everyone has a different use case, and I could see how an Air would compliment the 6+. For me, the full-sized iPad couldn't replace my laptop – I'm an attorney and need document production and true-multitasking – and the 6+ couldn't replace my rMini (especially for web surfing and reading). So I've ended up with an iMac (for photo and video editing, and our iTunes "server"), a Macbook (for work), an rMini (for web surfing, casual use) and an iPhone 6 (for mobile). YMMV

24. caesarp macrumors 6502a

Mini with plus? No. Air with plus yes. Ipad for reading and couch surfing. Plus when out of the house.

25. JonMPLS macrumors 65816

Right now I travel with my rMini all the time. Just great for books, killing time, and catching up on Game of Thrones. But if the 6 Plus had been available first, I really might have went with the big phone and standard iPad. (I do have an iPad 1 and 3 sitting around the house.)

But since I do have an rMini I am not so sure. I have a 5S, and plan on upgrading to either the 6 or 6 Plus.