Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
Except Samsung's Motion Pictures is a better implementation.

It's splitting hairs between the 2. I can largely achieve the desired result with both equally. It's not a make or break feature to me, but the S8 does make it easier to crop and extract gifs from a motion pic.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
It's splitting hairs between the 2. I can largely achieve the desired result with both equally. It's not a make or break feature to me, but the S8 does make it easier to crop and extract gifs from a motion pic.

Oh, wasn't saying it was great. Just that Motion Pictures is less bad, since Live Photos is jank.

mib1800

Suspended
Sep 16, 2012
For some people it's not about the list of hardware but how they use their devices. To some people magical pictures may be more important.

Just wondering whether iPhone is so lacking that the TS (and you :p) find it necessary to boast that LP is something to die for (speaking metaphorically)

Reactions: Demo Kit

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Maybe, but if magical pictures is your number 1 concern and you don't like Samsung's implementation of the feature then posting this is just trying to stir up trouble.
That's a fairly harsh viewpoint of the ops intentions. Don't you think? People are entitled to their own opinions of each platform.
[doublepost=1494730348][/doublepost]
Just wondering whether iPhone is so lacking that the TS (and you :p) find it necessary to boast that LP is something to die for (speaking metaphorically)
Me personally, don't find the iphone lacking. It does what I need it to do and does it well and some things better than the alternatives. Seems like this particular topic has been hashed and rehashed.:)

Reactions: rtomyj

Lloydbm41

Suspended
Oct 17, 2013
Central California
Yeah but who cares about Nokia.
You probably should. It helps in cases like this, so you have the intelligence to know that Apple did little more than steal/copy Live Photos direct from Lumia phones. Is it "magical" when you copy someone else's product?

I do find it funny that your only comeback (once finding out that your 'magical' Live Photos that you 'thought' Apple created) is to put down the company that actually invented it. Next time you think Apple invented something and you believe it's "magical", you might want to do some research. Chances are, you'll find out Apple copied it from someone. In other words, Apple is the knockoff.

And for the record, this is what you posted previously:

It's literally like a video a few seconds before you snap the photo. Are you kidding me? It's like a knockoff.

Live Photos captures just a few frames before and after with audio. It captures YOU, and takes you back to the moment.

Live Photos is my favorite iPhone feature.

Hieveryone

macrumors 603
Original poster
Apr 11, 2014
USA
You probably should. It helps in cases like this, so you have the intelligence to know that Apple did little more than steal/copy Live Photos direct from Lumia phones. Is it "magical" when you copy someone else's product?

I do find it funny that your only comeback (once finding out that your 'magical' Live Photos that you 'thought' Apple created) is to put down the company that actually invented it. Next time you think Apple invented something and you believe it's "magical", you might want to do some research. Chances are, you'll find out Apple copied it from someone. In other words, Apple is the knockoff.

One must have nothing to do to sit around and research who copied who
[doublepost=1494735467][/doublepost]
Except Samsung's Motion Pictures is a better implementation.

How is it better?
[doublepost=1494735657][/doublepost]
Do you really want to get into features that the Galaxy offers that the iPhone doesn't? Do you really want to play that game? Good luck.

-AMOLED qHD Display while iPhone has old fashioned LCD.
-5.8" and 6.2" Infinity display while iPhone has big old fashioned bezels and small screens.
-3.5 mm headphone jack
-IP 68 Waterproof rating. Better then the iPhones IP 67 and you still get a headphone jack and expandable storage!
-wireless charging and fast charging! Don't you ever get tired of how slow iPhone charges.
- Industry standard USB-C connectivity. Lighting? Apple doesn't even use it on their computers.
-Always on display and notifications
-Unlimited customization. Don't like the keyboard? Choose from dozens.
-True multi-tasking.
-Gear VR. Try VR on your low resolution iPhone display.

I could go on and on... but hey you've got your magical pictures!

Guess who doesn't have "magical pictures"?

Samsung.

But hey y'all can change out your micro SD card while taking a shower congrats

Reactions: I7guy

DakotaGuy

macrumors 601
Jan 14, 2002
South Dakota, USA

How is it better?

Samsung.

Looks like you exposed your true "game" so please go back to the iPhone forums and talk about your magical phone.

Klyster

macrumors 68020
Dec 7, 2013
Is there an equivalent to live photos on the S8? Yes, it's been there ever since the S4.
Is it perceived as magical by the thread starter? No.

End of discussion, stop flogging a dead horse....

Hieveryone

macrumors 603
Original poster
Apr 11, 2014
USA
Nope. But it helps one not to look like a moron when one makes idiotic claims.

How does it feel knowing your "magical" Live Photos are nothing more than Nokia 'Living Images' knockoffs? Still feel "magical"? LOL

What would help Samsung folks is if they updated their phones to have more features like iPhones like Live photos, 3D touch, etc

DakotaGuy

macrumors 601
Jan 14, 2002
South Dakota, USA
What would help Samsung folks is if they updated their phones to have more features like iPhones like Live photos, 3D touch, etc

So basically you want a Samsung phone to be the exact same phone as the iPhone. They are two different products with two different feature sets. I'm sure it would help Apple folks to have an always on display with notifications, quick charging and an industry standard USB-C connector, but Apple will never give you those things. Go back to the iPhone forums and talk about those two things over and over and over with people who care. I'm done with this thread.

mrex

macrumors 68040
Jul 16, 2014
europe
better to take a short video than an awful quality live photo. video is much easier to share (or store) with friends without iphone. i cant stand the skipping frames.. yes they were funny when it was introduced since then forgotten addition...

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009

This post was brought to you by ...... #FACTS

Reactions: Lloydbm41

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
Agree about a cross platform standard but let's be honest, that doesn't really exist in Apple's vocabulary. ;)

FWIW, Google Photos, probably one of the bigger repositories for cloud photo storage, now supports Live Photos. IIRC, you use Microsoft OneDrive and I'm guessing they don't support Live Photos, do they?

Yeah it's just a matter of time, I don't think Apple realizes or maybe they don't care about the strong undercurrent of users sick of their walled garden. Just reading up today on Microsoft's Timeline which is similar to continuity, but you can use it across ALL platforms, great stuff.

I'm not sure how Onedrive would support live photos, wouldn't that actually be something in the photo file itself? I have no idea, it just seems like the file itself should have all the live photo data in some kind of cross platform standard which any app/program on any device would be able to read and display. Just like jpg or any other standard. So while I'd expect the Google Camera app to be able to take live photos, I'd expect those photos to keep the "live" information regardless of where the file was saved, moved, shared, etc, including other cloud storages like Onedrive. Google is also the key to avoiding oem's such as Samsung as implementing proprietary standards. I'd also be curious about Google maybe releasing Google Camera on iOS and giving us the ability to have live photos outside of Apple's ecosystem, although most likely knowing Apple they would not allow it.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012

How is it better?

Samsung.

It's smoother looking playback.

Last edited:

grkm3

macrumors 65816
Feb 12, 2013

How is it better?

Samsung.

But hey y'all can pay 5000 dollars for more storage!!! How does your magical 32gb iPhone feel when you don't even have enough space to take any live photos

Lava Lamp Freak

macrumors 68000
Jun 1, 2006
How is it better?

Live Photos and Motion photo are mostly the same, but as someone who moved from iPhone 7 to Galaxy S8 I find Motion photo to be better implemented.

Live Photos records audio, which has always annoyed me. With such short clips I really don't want to hear the clipped audio. Also, Live Photos records video before and after the picture was taken, and I just don't understand the point of having video of after the event. Most of the time my Live Photos would end with the camera pointed at the ground. Samsung's implementation of a few seconds before taking picture makes more sense to me.

rtomyj

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2012

Man I hate this narrative. So Android peeps are quick to think themselves tech savvy and whatnot but are quite ignorant with tech. Tech and software is inspired by past iterations. You don't just make something out of thin air that no one has done ever. And every hardcore Android-y persons perceptive is that,"Apple wasn't first".

Who cares? Great software developers know the alternatives and know how to make changes where they see they can make things better. I imagine engineers do the same. Apple is great at looking at something meh and getting people emotionally involved with their implementation. That's magical no matter what you wanna call it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: I7guy

Hieveryone

macrumors 603
Original poster
Apr 11, 2014
USA
Live Photos and Motion photo are mostly the same, but as someone who moved from iPhone 7 to Galaxy S8 I find Motion photo to be better implemented.

Live Photos records audio, which has always annoyed me. With such short clips I really don't want to hear the clipped audio. Also, Live Photos records video before and after the picture was taken, and I just don't understand the point of having video of after the event. Most of the time my Live Photos would end with the camera pointed at the ground. Samsung's implementation of a few seconds before taking picture makes more sense to me.

Wait a minute...

Motion Photos DOES NOT HAVE AUDIO!?!?

/endthread

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
Wait a minute...

Motion Photos DOES NOT HAVE AUDIO!?!?

/endthread

End thread for what? 99.9% of all my live photos, all I hear is background noise. Live photos has never caught any audio I've found significant. At best, I've heard audio from a single seagull while snapping pics at Coney Island. Everything else you can barely make out with just seconds to listen.

And those that have the hissing problem, mostly just hear that on their live photos.

Lloydbm41

Suspended
Oct 17, 2013
Central California
You don't just make something out of thin air that no one has done ever.
Really? So if there was never a first, how has mankind progressed? By your logic, we should still be walking around naked, living in caves.

Who cares? Great software developers know the alternatives and know how to make changes where they see they can make things better. I imagine engineers do the same. Apple is great at looking at something meh and getting people emotionally involved with their implementation. That's magical no matter what you wanna call it.
Actually, Apple isn't always great at taking a concept and making it better. Live photos is a direct ripoff of Living Images. It isn't better, it's identical.
Apple Music and Apple Maps aren't better implementations of their Google counterparts. They are worse.

Siri is a case where Apple implemented something new to phones (albeit bought, not developed) and then let it turn into a 3rd rate also-ran piece of software. Siri is usually the butt of jokes now.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hieveryone

macrumors 603
Original poster
Apr 11, 2014
USA
I can't believe it took all these posts for it to finally come to light that motion photos doesn't even have audio.

What a waste of time discussing this.

THE AUDIO IN YOUR SURROUNDINGS AT THAT MOMENT IS ARGUABLY THE MOST IMPORTANT PART OF RE-LIVING THE MOMENT!

Do I really have to explain this?

You go to a football game. The band is playing, the crowd is cheering, HOW CAN YOU DIMISS THE SOUNDS OF THAT LIVE PHOTO????

Sheesh. I'm done. Would have been done 10 posts ago if I had known.

Reactions: LIVEFRMNYC
Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.