Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Virtuality

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 30, 2007
Hi!

Just bought a new 27-inch with 4GB Apple RAM. Also bought 4GBx2 RAM from OWC from this model, which I have now popped in.

Now memory configuration is looking like the attached screenshot.

Am I doing something bad/stupid here? Missing out on something because they are not all the same size? What would the optimum configuration be here for what I have?

Thanks in advance!

Kind regards,

Jonathan

Attachments

• screenshot.png
    screenshot.png
    240.4 KB · Views: 242

spcdust

macrumors 65816
May 6, 2008
London, UK
Hi!

Just bought a new 27-inch with 4GB Apple RAM. Also bought 4GBx2 RAM from OWC from this model, which I have now popped in.

Now memory configuration is looking like the attached screenshot.

Am I doing something bad/stupid here? Missing out on something because they are not all the same size? What would the optimum configuration be here for what I have?
Thanks in advance!

Kind regards,

Jonathan

Fail to see what the perceived problem is??? The Mac come with 2 x 2GB memory modules and you have self installed 2 x 4GB modules, therefore the screenshot represents this accordingly. All the memory modules are appropriately paired together (2 x 2GB and 2 x 4GB) therefore this configuration is absolutely spot on with regards to dual channel.

Virtuality

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 30, 2007
Fail to see what the perceived problem is??? The Mac come with 2 x 2GB memory modules and you have self installed 2 x 4GB modules, therefore the screenshot represents this accordingly. All the memory modules are appropriately paired together (2 x 2GB and 2 x 4GB) therefore this configuration is absolutely spot on with regards to dual channel.
That was exactly the answer I was looking for! :) I was not sure if you needed to pair all of the modules with the same sizes or something like that.
I simply didn't know. But now I do, so thank you!

Bentobilly

macrumors newbie
Apr 28, 2011

So just to be perfectly clear on this, does it matter where 2 x 2GB or 2 X 4 GB modules are. Top or Bottom slots? Or is the pairing the only important consideration. I too want to add 2 x 4 GB to my new iMac and would prefer to get it right first time. All answers greatly appreciated.

philipma1957

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Howell, New Jersey
as an aside in my 2009 4 slot machine.

I did every possible combo of ram.

1gb none none none
none 1gb none none
none none 1gb none
none none none 1gb

2gb none none none
none 2gb none none
none none 2gb none
none none none 2gb

4gb none none none
none 4gb none none
none none 4gb none
none none none 4gb

1gb 1gb none none
1gb none 1gb none
1gb none none 1gb
none 1gb 1gb none
none none 1gb 1gb and on and on and on up to

4gb 4gb 4gb 4gb

every single combo worked in my imac 2009 27 inch c2d 3.06GHz

more ram = faster

I used all Hynix sticks and I used all samsung sticks all purchased from http://www.superbiiz.com So my point is it is hard to screw up ram in iMacs.

GraceMolloy

macrumors regular
Oct 28, 2006
Kentucky
I've seen people mention this before and I was also under the impression that you needed to use Match sticks, I've never had a PC act right when I didn't. But then I'm not homebrew building a Mac and the software is obviously superior to Windoze.

philipma1957

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Howell, New Jersey
things can still go wrong. some software may not work in my testing I ran geekbench xbench safari firefox itunes iwork and rembr (a ram test) I was not able to get the iMac to crash. Of course you could put in a different piece of software and get your machine to crash. If you go on most imac threads about ram you will find most deal with what to buy and how to put them in.. Since I read so many and had lots of ram in my home I decided to do a lot of tests.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.