Is This A Good Buy? Need Some Help....

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Neverbepeace, Jan 25, 2011.

1. Neverbepeace macrumors 6502a

Neverbepeace

A friend of a friend whom I don't know dropped their iPhone 4 and shattered the front glass badly. The back is fine....the front is done. He wants to sell and is charging a decent price. The price is $220. I want to purchase and just bring it to apple for an exchange......pay the $199 and get a semi brand new iPhone.

It's going to be a gift for my wife but the prices are $550+ where Im at. I figured I can get the iPhone 4 for her at $420 going this route.

Lol I feel like its illegal but its perfectly legal I guess.....thoughts..............?

2. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

For an iPhone 4 without a contract that's a sweet deal. Go for it.

3. shakeman0 macrumors 6502a

shakeman0

+1. Sounds great.

4. ClutchThese macrumors 65816

ClutchThese

go for it. I'd do it if i didn't already have one.

5. BHP41 macrumors 6502a

BHP41

Even though I see your thought process and how it may be legit. If it were me I would wait another week or two fir the extra money to just get a new one, it comes with peace of mind. How much is that worth? If you spend $220 o. The device and you can't get apple to do anything for you(someone who has done this will have a more accurate answer) you're holding a $220 brick.

Now, never let the seller know you're intentions for the purchased product. It gives him/her the upper hand in negotiating price. If he wants to sell it, which he does because he knows It's no good to him/her as it is they'll come down as soon as they see they can get something for it. Offer $100 and work up. Never be to quick to jump in price. Let them come down. Point out that you're taking all the risk in this and it's cash in their pocket now. Most Lilly they got it subsidized and making half their money back is good. My bet, you'll get it for $150.

6. Neverbepeace thread starter macrumors 6502a

Neverbepeace

Since the iPhone 4 is still in it's warranty period....they cannot deny me a $199 price tag correct?

7. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Correct.
    Im surprised your friend doesnt want to pay the $200 to have it replaced but rather sell it.
    Good deal though.

You're way off.
    Its not a $220 brick, Apple will replace it for $200 no questions asked.
    Hell, if he's lucky they might even swap it for him for free if he gets lucky.

8. BHP41 macrumors 6502a

BHP41

Wasn't sure. Thats why I put in there that someone who has done this could offer a better suggestion.

So, if I found a iPhone say in the side if the street I could just return it to apple for a $199 fee for a new one. That's correct right. I know that apple told me on my iPad that if I ever had a issue they would just replace it.

I've never had to replace any of my iPhones before so I wasn't sure.

9. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

I have seen this happen to my amazement.

10. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes, happens often.
    Just gotta be honest and polite and you might get a surprise;)

Yes, you can bring any broken iphone to Apple and they will replace it with the same model for $200 even if its warranty ran out and as long as its not in pieces completely destroyed.

11. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

As others have said, they might even give it to you for free. Go for it :)
    $420 is still good.

12. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

It's in black and white on Apple's website

13. iPhoneCollector macrumors 6502a

iPhoneCollector

You should stay in contact with that dude. You might get some other great deals due to his habbit of braking expensive stuff

14. Pink∆Floyd macrumors 68020

Pink∆Floyd

OP go for it

When you meet up with a Genius, be as polite and honest as you possibly can, explain that this is your first time experiencing such a tragedy, and you might up getting a refurb for free

15. Neverbepeace thread starter macrumors 6502a

Neverbepeace

Lol thanks guys for the feedback......so I went ahead and bought the phone. The front is completely shattered with a dime size chunk of glass that fell off by the ear piece. Overall, the back is in great shape as well as the steel band around the phone. It still turns on but gives you the "connect to itunes" imagery. Will make an appointment sometime next week and get a exchange or just pay the $199. Either or......its a great deal. Thanks guys for the feedback.

16. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Pretty good deal. Make sure he didn't steal it or found it on a street though.

Damaged display + connect to iTunes + he didn't get the repair himself and then sell for $600 or more = suspicious

17. theonekcrow macrumors 6502a

theonekcrow

Thats not a bad idea. I would say to do it. If your on the fence though, have you and your friend go to apple and pay for the replacement first, then buy the phone afterwards.

18. Neverbepeace thread starter macrumors 6502a

Neverbepeace

Lol your getting me worried. I do question the "Connect To iTunes" image. Does the phone go into recovery mode when the phone takes a hit like that?

19. iUser4Lyfe macrumors 6502

No, It does not. However if i was selling even my broken iPhone I would "Erase all content and settings" before i handed it over. In that case you WILL see the connect to iTunes screen.

I don't think you should be worried. Good deal IMO. Especially if Apple replaces it for free.

20. Neverbepeace thread starter macrumors 6502a

Neverbepeace

Cool......lastly, should I just bring it to a repair shop? I did some googling and found this on amazon

http://www.amazon.com/Apple-iPhone-Digitizer-Frame-Black/dp/B003UGVU4G

Worth it? Or is that even the right one?

21. iUser4Lyfe macrumors 6502

If you posses the tech skills and steady hands to take apart the iPhone then maybe you could look into the cheaper method of a DIY job. However I have taken apart the iPhone 4 once before, and replacing the front glass was the most irritating experience Ive ever had.

You have to take the ENTIRE phone apart to replace the front glass and inevitably, if you are not extremely comfortable with that your working with, something will break.

I would take it to Apple and have it replaced.

EDIT: And what you linked is just the glass. There is no LCD there. You would be looking at something like this >> http://www.amazon.com/Digitizer-Assembly-Exclusive-Zeetron-Microfiber/dp/B003ZU5X36/ref=pd_cp_e_0

22. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Take it to Apple dude.
    You got it for a steal, taking it apart and trying to fix it yourself is not an easy task unless you really know what you're doing.