Is this a good deal for the Retina Macbook Pro Base Line?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by iLikeTurtles!, Jun 28, 2012.

1. iLikeTurtles! macrumors 6502

I will try and make this short and sweet.

An Apple Authorized Dealer store, saw my kijiji ad for my MacBook and offered my Macbook plus some cash for a new retina macbook pro and save on taxes. ($2229). My kijiji ad was asking 1700.

We haggled a bit and so far has come to my macbook pro (1469) plus 760 cash for a retina macbook pro baseline, new.

My macbook pro is the 15" 2011 MacBook Pro (paid 1699 plus taxes)
    Specs:

2.0ghz i7 Quad Core
    4GB Ram
    256mb AMD Radeon Graphics Card
    UPGRADED 120gb Intel 520 Series SATA III SSD from the 500gb stock. (cost 200 dollars plus taxes)

UPGRADED Anti Glare High Res Screen (150 extra)

Accessories included -

Moshi Palmguard - 30 bucks
    Speck Seethru Clear Case - 50 Bucks

Has One month left warranty.

Condition - Computer is MINT and LIKE NEW. NO scratch, NO dents, not even any wear on the keyboard thanks to the keyboard cover. I even protected the mag safe port edges with invisible shield so it doesnt dent or scratch when placing the mag safe in.

The Whole Machine looks brand new. (I am pretty anal with taking care of the computer)

I know 1700 might seem high, but it has 2 major upgrades to it as well as accesories, I prob spent well over 2100 on the dam thing. I clearly wanted to keep this for several years, but the retina macbook looks really cool, and I like how its lighter so its easier to ctrek across campus with

Do you guys think its a good deal / recomendations.

oh and here are a few quick shots of my macbook

Attached Files:

2. iLikeTurtles! thread starter macrumors 6502

also forgot to mentioned its the "early" 2011 model not the late one

3. iamdavekennedy macrumors regular

Is this a roundabout way of selling your goods on here despite not having posted enough to access the marketplace? Haha :rolleyes:

4. Fortimir macrumors 6502a

Fortimir

Possible, but my interpretation was that he already had a trade lined up and was asking if it was a good one.

5. iLikeTurtles! thread starter macrumors 6502

did you bother reading my post? I asked if it was a good deal, I wasnt asking people on here to buy, im only dealing locally (hence why i used kjiji)

6. iLikeTurtles! thread starter macrumors 6502

so is it?

7. irock101 macrumors 6502

irock101

8. shareef777 macrumors 68000

shareef777

Anti-glare option

9. yth macrumors member

if you want advice, how about you calculate:

1. total spent on 2011 MBP
    2. total cash needed for MBPR
    3. current value of MBPR

but to be honest, $700+ for a MBPR when you already have a 2011 MBP doesn't make much sense. go look at the anandtech review, which says basically the same thing

10. ZipZap macrumors 601

I fail to understand why you need to know or why you should care. If you dont have an answer for the OP move along. Not your job to be a crossing guard.

----------

Your last statement was sufficient. No need to be rude.

11. iLikeTurtles! thread starter macrumors 6502

thanks for your comment zipzap. appreciate it.

i assume that if you were offered something like this, it would not be a logical course of action?

12. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Great deal. Take it and run. The 2011 MBP cost you 1700. You are getting a credit of $1469 for a difference of $231. $231/12 (assuming you had it for a year as example) = $19.25/mo. That's a heck of a deal. Typical annual cost of a Mac laptop is $25-30/mo if you keep it 1-2 years and even more the longer you keep it.

Yes, you have to put an additional $760, but that's because you are buying a more expensive machine. You'll get some of that back when you go to sell in a year or whenever. A year is best.

Also you are getting a whole new year of warranty. That itself if worth $150 if you take A/C and divide by two. (Yes, A/C is for 3 years but the first year is free for all buyers except for phone support which is no big if you have a local Apple Store).

Finally, keep in mind your computer is going for about $1200-1300 on eBay right now and that is before getting fee'd to death.

So yes, yes, take the deal. It's a good one.

13. Panini macrumors regular

It cost him 1700 initially, but don't forget that he said upgrades brought the cost up to 2100. IMO it's a good deal for a base 1700 model, but since it's upgraded you should be getting more for it.

Which upgrades did you get exactly? Couldn't have been memory or GPU, so CPU/Storage?

14. yth macrumors member

Who exactly is playing crossing guard? :D

Sorry, you misunderstood me. I'm not trying to be rude. First, I gave my opinion, then, I gave a pretty good source (Anandtech) as backup. I'm not saying it's the *only* opinion and I'm perfectly happy if people disagree. All I'm saying is that a lot of people (me included) think it's better to wait for a 2nd-gen MBPR if you already have a nice 2011 MBP.

----------

If he paid $2100 for it and is adding $760 for the MBPR = $2860 total.

The base MBPR costs $2199 (or $1999 with student discount). This means he will have paid $2860-$2199 = $661 to use his MBP for 1 year. That comes to about $55/month, which is a little expensive, depending on his update cycle

15. iLikeTurtles! thread starter macrumors 6502

the computer initially cost me 1699 with education discount. with canadian taxes that brings it up to 1919.87 (god dam 13% tax! lol).

stock specs: 2.0ghz i7 Quad Core, 4gb ram, 256mb amd radeon graphics card and 500gb hard drive.

i had an issue with the macbook and apple replaced the ENTIRE computer for a brand new one and offered if i wanted to upgrade anything. so i upgraded the Anti glare screen for 100 bucks, no tax or anything.

the other upgrade I made down the road was changing the stock 500gb hard drive to an 120 GB SSD, intel 520 series, that was 199.99 plus taxes so 223.

The speck see thru clear was 49.95 plus tax so 56.44

the moshi palmguard was 30 bucks from moshi...i guess my as well work out the math now haha

30_______

Total spent on macbook - $2329.31

wow i didnt think it was that high...

----------

thanks for the comment!

it was actually a little more than that when i actually added it all up.

i suppose i can try and haggle the dealer a bit more, but it prob wont be much. judging by your numbers, im throwing away alot of money by doing one of these, upgrade after a year thing? lol

16. stevelam macrumors 65816

Totally not worth it. Unless you really want to spend that much for the retina screen. Seems silly to me.

17. iLikeTurtles! thread starter macrumors 6502

well the retina isnt the only new thing lol

18. NathanA macrumors 6502a

What I'm curious about is why an Apple Authorized Dealer would initiate contact with a seller of a used laptop and offer a trade deal that includes a Retina machine? What is the dealer getting out of it?

Never heard of this kind of thing before...just seems a little weird to me.

-- Nathan

19. iLikeTurtles! thread starter macrumors 6502

Thats what I thought too! They contacted me via kijiji when i posted my ad. Its an actual store to in the city.

I went on there website and they apparently sell used macbooks. I guess there trying to turn a profit on it?

20. stevelam macrumors 65816

You have an upgraded 2011 MacBook. The only noticeable new thing will be the screen. Performance will probably be slightly worse on the RMBP due to all the horsepower needed just to display the screen.

21. iLikeTurtles! thread starter macrumors 6502

Well that and the thinner design. sinces it lighte ri thought it might be easier to trek across camppus with lol.

i didnt think it would be slower since it would require more power to run the display.

22. mad-jamie16 macrumors regular

Sounds like a Apple authorised dealer would know about the prices of macs too much for my liking... I would try to sell it someone who is less familiar with mac resell prices? Someone who buys and sells used macs for a living is going to be a pain in the a** at haggling with.

23. iLikeTurtles! thread starter macrumors 6502

Thats true, what caught my eye with the dealer was that he offered my macbook, plus cash for a new one that I was looking for, the retina macbook.

I informed him i would consider his offer and of course left the kijiji ad up.

Do you think for what im offering and the like new condition the macbook is in a fair offer from your perspective at 1700?

24. stevelam macrumors 65816

If you want to pay 700 or whatever it is to have a MacBook thats less than a pound lighter than your current machine, go for it.

25. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Yes, but upgrades are always money in the trash can and can't be considered when reselling. You buy them to enjoy yourself, not to enhance value for the next owner. It doesn't matter if it's a car, a computer, or TV.

In the pre-owned market, upgrades will help sell a product faster, and that's all you can hope for. For example, last year a 8GB (2x4GB) RAM kit was $89. Today it's $39. So that $89 kit has no real resale value anymore -- maybe $20-25.