Is this a good deal on an iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by chrismac00, Feb 26, 2009.

1. chrismac00 macrumors 6502a

AT&T is selling the iPhone 3G refurbished 8GB for $99. I had the iPhone 2G and 3G before, but I sold them because I was tired of the lack of MMS and stuff like that. But now I just want it again and I was wondering if it was a good deal or not. Please help :)

Thanks

2. Private Dirt macrumors regular

Private Dirt

Are you serious?? Get real bro... surely you dont need help knowing what a good deal is.. especially if a new one is $600

Stand on the edge of a 5 story building and ask yourself if its a bad idea to jump. The answer is the same for both. :)

3. whitlecj macrumors member

If that is with a contract I would say no. You can go to bestbuy this week and get one for the same price if you are a Silver Reward Zone member.

4. lorenwade macrumors 68000

lorenwade

Isn't that the same thing? You're gonna have to get a 2 year plan at Best Buy too.

5. benflick macrumors 68020

benflick

Exactly. All iPhone 3Gs come with a mandatory 2-year contract.
    OP, $99 is a good deal. All refurbished iPhones have a new case put on them, and are quality checked.

6. eplchamps0304 macrumors 6502a

eplchamps0304

Why even make this thread. The price of the iPhone is well known, and if you see it for less it has to be a deal.

7. Theaser macrumors 6502

Theaser

ATT- Refurbished
    Best Buy Silver Member- New

Both: 99 bucks

8. sergiuria macrumors 6502a

sergiuria

Yeah, and there's no difference between one and the other

9. MacToddB macrumors 6502a

MacToddB

From AT&T's website... emphasis mine

Refurbished Phones and Devices
    Refurbished phones are previously owned devices that have been unused or lightly used and returned during the 30-day trial period. Each refurbished phone is independently quality tested and loaded with the latest software to meet current factory standards. Some refurbished iPhone 3G devices will have minor scratches.

Refurbished iPhone 3G devices carry a warranty of 90 days or more. For details about the warranty on your refurbished iPhone 3G go to www.apple.com/support/oss/.

And from Apple's website, re NEW iPhones:

The iPhone warranty
    iPhone comes with 90 days of technical support. In addition, your iPhone, its rechargeable battery, and all included accessories are covered against defects for a full year from the purchase date by a limited hardware warranty.

10. chrismac00 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I mean i can buy a new iPhone. I have no problem with that. I was just asking if it was a good deal for a refurbished. I've never bought anything that was "used".

11. jeremykyle macrumors regular

It is a very good deal, and Apple refurbs are exceptionally good.

12. TSX macrumors 68030

TSX

At Best Buy they offer accidental insurance, so if you break it they give you a new one w/no deductible .

13. Moi un Mouton macrumors 68000

It's a good deal for you if you'd rather have the iPhone in your pocket than the $99. And in a year's time, still rather have the iPhone than the $500 or so that it will have cost you by then. Make a spreadsheet to see how much it will cost you over the next 2 years, compared to an "ordinary" cell phone. Most people on this forum think that's a small price to pay to have the best gadget ever invented, and one that goes everywhere with you :p

----------------------

Need iPhone financial advice? Call 1-800-UnMouton 24 hours a day

14. fishkorp macrumors 68020

fishkorp

But everyone can get the AT&T price, not everyone can get the BB price. Not everyone spends over $2,500 a year on over-priced stuff at Best Buy ;)

15. MacToddB macrumors 6502a

MacToddB

I just bit the bullet and bought an 8GB :apple: iPhone 3G at Best Buy. I was afraid they might charge the full price and have the difference as a rebate (prepaid visa, etc.), but all I was charged was $107 ($99 + tax). An $18 upgrade fee will be on my next AT&T bill, as opposed to the $36 new line activation fee. They offered the $15/month insurance, but I passed.

For the record, I never pay full price at BB... I get a lot of their coupons for 10-12% off and that makes their prices closer to what you might get online, but you can 'get it now' and they often have decent prices on clearance/returned/refurbished items, if you know what to look for. My dad got a new Apple MacBook Air for about $1,100 just before the end of the year (yeah, I know refurbs at Apple is $999 now, but he needed it then, and they were $1349 everywhere else), and that pushed me over the Silver threshold.

Now, to sync my data, media, apps, etc., provision my phone for my own app (100sounds), and see about selling my original :apple: iPhone 4GB.

16. dani1956 macrumors newbie

Refurbished Iphone

Are these refurbished by AT&T or by Apple ? Can anyone know the answer for sure ? I mean if someone returned a defective device I'm sure they will send it to an Apple lab for service, but if a phone was returned within the first 30 days just to get out of the contract, they might just repackage and re-sell.
    But still it might be worth the risk for $99 since they let you return it within 3 days and pay nothing, right ?
    Can someone report if these refurbished Iphones are shipped with 2.21 firmware ?

17. jonathanrowson macrumors newbie

iPhone insurance

Don't get AppleCare unless you need the phone support. I've found a great website that offers coverage for the iPhone INCLUDING loss/breakage replacement!

Try www.squaretrade.com, I've not been dissapointed and they cover lots of stuff that you may buy from other vendors/stores.

18. dave006 macrumors 68020

The current refurbished iPhone 3Gs available from AT&T and some Best Buy retail locations are NOT Apple Refurbished. They are refubished by a third party in the case of AT&T. If they were Apple refurbised they would come in different packaging and with a different serial number.

They come with whatever was on the iPhone 3G the first time it was sold. Some have been 2.2.1 others have been 2.2 and some have even been earlier in the cycle. The longer you wait the more likely that all future units will be 2.2.1 or later.:(

They all are covered by a 90 day or more Apple warranty. If you get a lemon, just take it to Apple and have it replace with a true Apple refurbished iPhone 3G. Most of the current units are from the holidays and have an original in service date from Oct 2008 - Feb. 2009.

Dave

19. dave006 macrumors 68020

There are many differences between SquareTrade and Apple Care (APP). The biggest difference is that you can purchase Apple Care on the last day of your warranty period. Just try that with Squaretrade.

The key is to research the available options and pick the one that best fits your needs. :)

Dave

20. dani1956 macrumors newbie

When you say take it to Apple, you mean I can have it replaced at any Apple store ?

21. dave006 macrumors 68020

Yes, all warranty support for the original iPhone or the iPhone 3G in the USA is provide only by Apple.

Dave

22. dani1956 macrumors newbie

Is it required to setup an appointment at the apple store for Iphone service issues ?

23. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

It's a good deal if you were planning to buy an iPhone anyways, but don't jump on the bandwagon if it's only the prices that's enticing you; don't forget the plans are not cheap by any means.

Let me see, if a Motorola RAZR for $10 a good deal? I mean surely it was like $800 when it came out!

That's a terrible way to decide things.

24. dave006 macrumors 68020

25. dani1956 macrumors newbie

And they either fix the phone or replace it on the spot samy day ?