Is this a normal Apple experience (I think that Apple sucks)

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Canerican, Oct 28, 2007.

1. Canerican macrumors regular

I'll try and keep this one brief.

In the past year I have gone from Mac lover to just about loathing Apple, and it all came to a head for me today.

I bought my MacBook in June 2006 for college, after about 2 months of constant problems and going to the Apple store at least 5 times they gave my a brand new computer, they even gave my an upgrade for free, this was September! (Dual Core to C2D) So I was really happy with my experience. (If you care my Logic board was fried, the processor was overheating, and the bottom bezel was discoloring and needed replacement).

Skip ahead two months. I am at my house showing a guy how great my Mac is when the computer dies. Fried harddrive - a few other various problems. They tell me that this isn't normal and I shouldn't lose my laptop again, so they give me a new one. The manager was great and apologized I was more than happy. At the same time I upgraded my computer figuring that it might save me another broken Mac, I paid $200 on top of the $1100 I had already spent. This was in December 2006.

Today I just got back the Apple store, it has to be at least my 20th visit since June for repairs (it is a half hour drive from my house so I don't go for no reason, its a real pain in the butt). My screen looks like crap, the corners are dark as is the middle/bottom part, some parts of the screen are REALLY bright. After talking with the Genius support tech he agrees to replace the screen. Also the part where you plug the MagSafe power adapter is bad, he is replacing that too.

I am obviously upset because a) I just spent an hour and a half of my life inside the Apple Store in the Walden Galeria (I must be at 25 hours in that store by now) b) I am losing my computer for ANOTHER week. I am in college, this is NUTS.

So I ask to speak to a manager, the manager never really greeted me, just asked what my problem was I explained to him that I have gone through three MacBooks, all I want is to moved to the front of the repair queue. No. They can't do it. Can they alliviate the situation? He asks me what I want, I told him that I want the situation rectified in a better way, because what I have been going through is unacceptable. According to Tony (the manager) Apple is a great company and almost nothing like this happens to any computer. I ask him how this helps me since this happens to every computer. He tells me that Apple is better than Dell, and then he decides to say, "er, I mena other computer companies."

I got absolutely nowhere with him so I said just make the repairs. Right before I leave the repair guy who was otherwise great tells me that he is doing me a favor by making this warrentee repair.

Good way of saying thanks for your business.

EDIT: I had actually forgotten a big part of the frustration. The Genius asked me when I had a break so the repair would be more convienient. I said I finish school December 13, but my warrentee is up on Dec. 9. I said is there any way that you can do the repair then even though the warrentee will have just ran out. He said that I could pay $250 and get AppleCare.

2. dogtanian macrumors 6502

dogtanian

wow, bad experience. To be honest if I was in your position I'd say the same.

So you gonna fight through or are you pretty much done with Apple then?

3. Wayfarer macrumors 65816

Wayfarer

I wouldn't call this a "normal" Apple experience...

4. Canerican thread starter macrumors regular

Well, right now I honestly don't want anything to do with Apple, I am very upset. If they do something for me, I might consider forgiving them yet again. But I think that my Apple days are over.

2 computers, 4 iPods so far in 3 years of Apple.

Love the OS, love the iPod, but I won't deal with a company like that - and it does upset me knowing that I will be forced back to XP (that makes me sick to think of it).

5. Foxglove9 macrumors 65816

Foxglove9

You must have done something to PO Steve Jobs. heh. Honestly though, that's a very very rare experience.

6. crackermac macrumors member

I would be rather pissed myself if I had that many problems. Do you think you will get better service with someone else though.

7. OttawaGuy macrumors 6502a

OttawaGuy

8. Ryan5505 macrumors regular

Email

Write an email to this address: applestoreinfo@apple.com

I once went to the apple store and was told it was going to cost 1100 for repairs. I contacted apple, explained the situation.

I then received this email:
    Dear Ryan,

Thank you for contacting Apple.

Apple has issued Return Material Authorization (RMA) number 7403115514 for the PBG4 on your order number W139315**. We have also sent you a prepaid FedEx online label to rrhelmst@****.edu. In this email, you will find instructions for printing out your shipping label.

Please pack the item along with any cables and documentation in the original packing materials. Then, using the label you have printed out, ship the package to this address:

Apple
    Attn: #7403115514
    2811 Laguna Blvd.
    Elk Grove, CA 95758

We have replaced your order under sales order number 70215237**.

We are shipping your replacement order to the following address:

Ryan H
    **** Sterling Forest Drive
    **** NC *****

The estimated ship date of your new PBG4 is on or before 8/03/05.

You will receive an email confirmation of shipment at rrhelmst@****.edu.

We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused.

Sincerely,

Maybe you will get better service going this route.

9. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

OP, your situation does seem unusual, if not rare. I think what you've had happen to you is worthy of lemon-hood. You described that the newer macbook (the one that was given to you after the first logic board got fried) experienced more problems soon after right?

If this computer has had more than three major problems, then it qualifies for 'lemon' status in most states. I suggest you look up the Lemon Laws for your state, and email Apple about it. Explain to them that you believe you deserve a brand new macbook ASAP (say you're willing to pick it up in person, as shipping would/could take over a week to get to you).

In addition to this, I suggest you buy Applecare. I normally don't suggest people buy extended warranties, but your luck seems to be bad :( In your case, it would probably be a worthwhile investment.

10. Canerican thread starter macrumors regular

To be clear, I have gotten three completely new computers
    1) The Logic Board was fried
    2) The HDD died
    3) The one I have now (Bad battery (under the Apple replacement program), bad MagSafe plug (both parts, the wall plug and the part that is actually attached to the computer, bad screen)

Do you think that qualifies as a lemon in NY state?

Thanks for the advice, you'll should be working at the Apple Store! ;)

11. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

Are you sure Apple replaced your entire macbook when the HD failed? Usually Apple will only replace the HD itself (as this will only cost them ~$50).

Also, with the 3rd problem set (I don't know what else to call it :eek:), it seems like Apple would have replaced your AC adapter and battery and repaired the part of your charger that's on the macbook.

Either way, I think you have three problems on the same computer. If we take only #3, we can see that you have 1) a bad battery, 2) a bad AC adapter/connecter, 3) a bad screen. However, I honestly think that the HD was a problem on the same computer as well, so this should make it four problems on the same computer. Use the email addresses given to you above, and call Apple's 800 number.

You should get a brand new computer out of this, as this particular macbook appears to be plagued with problems.

12. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

I can understand that it frustrates you if you are told to pay money in this situation. However, if you check what people advise MacBook buyers to do, it is exactly what was recommended to you: AppleCare will cover you for three years from the purchase of the MacBook and can be bought as long as it is within the original warrantee. So I recommend to anyone who buys a MacBook wait 11 months to see how things go, then to buy AppleCare after 11 months if there have been problems with the MacBook, and to not buy it if there were no problems.

In your case, I would obviously advise you to buy AppleCare. Not just for the small convenience that you can get a repair on Dec 13th, but for the big convenience that you can get more repairs for the next two years.

13. Mundy macrumors regular

I'm sorry, but if you're still having all these problems after having your computer replaced twice, I'd start to wonder if the problem wasn't with the hardware, but the user.

14. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

That is possible. However, if we assume that 5% of Mac are problematic, which would be an excellent number compared to industry average, then one in 8,000 customers will have huge problems on their first, second and then the third computer.

15. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

I love lemon law, as soon as somebody speaks those words -- the company is allowed to terminate all further service and contact with the customer, and it is all handled through the lawyers.

16. Maxiseller macrumors 6502a

Maxiseller

This is part of the problem however; the manager is clearly insinuating that the situation is "too rare" thus the user must be to blame.

In reality however, the user is out at considerable expense (travel, wasted time, and no computer) and still hasn't got a working model.

I'm sure that that the OP wouldn't fabricate this story for no reason. Give the guy a bit of credit.

17. Canerican thread starter macrumors regular

I can see how you would think that, but I can tell you that I am at least an intermediate user, and I know how to treat a computer.

I also know that I got a new computer after the HDD because I got a new box from the back and then gave them my old computer and the box. I will contact Apple tomorrow and keep you guys informed as to how it it goes.

Also there seems to be some confusion, Apple has my laptop right now, but I will push for a new laptop. Should I call the regular customer service number?

18. Sayer macrumors 6502a

Sayer

Laptops are notoriously easy to damage by users in the repair tech world. I fix Gateway laptops and a lot of problems are directly user-related. Granted there are some design flaws that are repaired no-questions-asked, but by and large a portable computer is going to be more likely to get damaged during "normal" use than any other computer system.

If you give the laptop a good smack while the HDD is reading/writing you can literally gouge the actual "disc" in the drive rendering it dead. Sometimes a few sectors may be "bad" and the computer won't run properly after a while (easy fix as long as no critical file was in the bad area). It happens, its a laptop, you can't knock it around. This is why Apple created MagSafe (they should make one for audio ports, I replaced a lot of mobos because the audio jack was broken by yanking on a plug).

Bad RAM was a culprit a lot of the time, usually cheap-o OEM-installed RAM and occasionally third-party after-market RAM. Bad RAM can cause random crashes or hangs on boot.

MagSafe is a design flaw, overheating may have been a cooling issue, or as I often saw first hand the fan/heat sink gets clogged with dust/lint/hair and stops working causing random shutdowns/overheating. Simply laying a laptop on a pillow/soft bed can block the vents enough to cause overheating.

All I am saying is that a lot of laptop problems are from actually using the laptop somewhat improperly, and the rest are just random bad luck.

Buy AppleCare for any new laptop, even if you spill your Coke all over it you can get a fixed laptop (if AppleCare covers accidental damage).

TIP: When you send it in mention EVERYTHING wrong; they will be obligated to fix any cosmetic problem you specifically mention as well as mechanical/electrical problems.

19. Mindflux macrumors 68000

Mindflux

drama drama drama, run ubuntu if "xp" makes you sick to your stomach.
    :rolleyes:

20. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

Hmmm. That's very interesting that you got an entirely new computer o_O For Apple, that costs a lot more than simply replacing the drive for you. I'm really confused as to why the genius did this, unless he discovered another problem and didn't tell you about it? Either way, your current macbook qualifies for 'lemon' status, so call Apple's customer service number pronto. Just use the regular one and tell your story to as many levels of "supervisor/manager" that exist. Eventually, you will get a new macbook. However, remember to be polite and respectful. :)

21. skye12 macrumors 65816

skye12

Sure you not leaving something out? No one has this many problems.

22. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

As someone above mentioned, the probability is actually quite strong. Assuming that 5% of all macbooks are defective in some way or another, 1 in 20 will get one bad macbook, 1 in 400 will get two bad macbooks, and 1 in 8,000 will get three bad macbooks.

As we know, far more than 8,000 macbooks have been sold so far, so the chances of a few people having three bad ones are present, and the OP happens to be one of the unfortunate ones.

Help him, or don't, but don't accuse him of being irresponsible when he's given us no indication of being so (especially since most of his problems were quite common to the macbook line up till now; the AC adapter, HD failure, battery, etc).

23. chicagdan macrumors 6502a

For you, the situation sucks. For the general population, the question is how typical is this experience and how does it compare to other computer manufacturers. I agree with you about iPods ... until the introduction of the video iPod, quality was spotty. I swapped out four iPods in one year, the HDs were pathetic. Since then, however, quality has improved markedly.

In contrast to your MacBook situation, I present my 12" PowerBook. I've had it for 4 years, 4 months and I've abused the hell out of it ... dropped it at least a dozen times. Today I installed Leopard on it without a hitch. It still has it's original battery, which runs for more than 2 hours. It's unbelievable how durable this machine is, I wouldn't be shocked if it were running perfectly in another 10 years.

The question is, whose situation is closer to normal?

24. jackc macrumors 65816

jackc

It's all sunk costs now, just keep buying more, you'll be fine.

25. One-On-One macrumors newbie

I agree with this. Just do it until you get some answere's. In fact i would call cupertino directly