Is this a reasonable charge for hardware repair

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by AsianGIRLpure, Aug 23, 2008.

1. AsianGIRLpure macrumors member

:(
    This is the E-mail from a technician on campus, i don't if know it's reasonable :(

I have been assigned to service your MacBook. I finish the troubleshooting process and have found that the Main Logic Board video GPU(Chipset) has failed causing a no video issue. I have checked warranty status with Apple and unfortunately your MacBook Pro Apple warranty has expired. However, I can ship your MacBook Pro laptop to AppleCare Service for out of warranty repair for the cost of $309.95. The repair time would be approx 3-5 business days . The repair does include a 90-day warranty from Apple. Please let me know how to proceed with the repair.

This is the problem description i put it in another thread
    Go to this link http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=546544&highlight=%26%2322247%3B3B[/SIZE]

2. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

Then post this in that thread. Stop making new pointless threads, they will be deleted by a moderator.

3. Bobioden macrumors 68000

Bobioden

Exactly, Why not just reply to the thread you already started. I doubt you will find a logic board replacement for under $300.

4. AsianGIRLpure thread starter macrumors member

:( I want to get more attention:rolleyes:

Not sure if it's a legitimate excuse, if not, i can delete the thread right away..

I'm new here, don't know these rules..:confused:

5. panzer06 macrumors 68030

panzer06

Some folks are a bit harsh in "helping" new folk adjust. I'm sure you shall be more careful in the future.

Cheers,

6. nikhsub1 macrumors 68000

nikhsub1

And to answer your question, the $310 is what apple charges to 'swap' motherboards with you... so yes you should do it as this is really your only option. And $310 for a working mobo is a bargain IMO. The same thing happened to my MBP, you have the dreaded nVidia DEAD GPU... Apple sucks that they are not fixing these for FREE as it is a KNOWN problem but at least they arent charging $1200 either...

7. panzer06 macrumors 68030

panzer06

I don't know. I know a few people are getting these GPU logic boards repaired out of warranty if they scream loud enough to Apple (calling Applecare and asking for supervisors, writing Apple corporate headquarters, calling the local TV station that does the consumer advocacy thing) They get the laptop fixed. Dell & HP are already doing one off out of warranty repairs for the same issue.

At some point a class action lawsuit will be filed and this will be resolved once and for all.

Cheers,

8. winninganthem macrumors 6502a

winninganthem

$300 is a bargain, I've seen numbers over $1000 for a logic board replacement.

9. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

If you waited long enough, this may be fixed for free.

However, knowing Apple, they'll probably wait a few years until everyone has upgraded and moved on, and then announce that they'll make the repair for all current users for free. Since there wouldn't be as many in a few years, they don't need to make as many repairs!

The 1st gen iPod Nanos are a good example. You can finally get those repaired by Apple for free now.