Is this a reasonable replacement?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ryan.hayes79, Jun 26, 2009.

1. ryan.hayes79 macrumors member

Hello all,

AppleCare are shipping me a new 15" MacBook Pro due to failed repairs on the existing unit.

Exisiting Unit:

CPU
    CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo
    CPU Speed: 2.4 GHz
    FPU: integrated
    Bus Speed: 800 MHz
    Data Path Width: 64 bit
    Address Width: 64 bit
    ROM: EFI
    RAM Type: PC2-5300 SO-DIMM
    Minimum RAM Speed: 667 MHz
    Onboard RAM: 0 MB
    RAM slots: 2
    Maximum RAM: 4 GB
    Level 1 Cache: 32 kB data, 32 kB instruction
    Level 2 Cache: 4 MB onchip, 1:1
    Expansion Slots: 1 ExpressCard/34

Video
    Screen: 15.4/ active matrix TFT
    Video Card/Chipset: NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT
    VRAM: 256 MB GDDR3
    Max Resolution: 24 bit 1440x900/1680x1050
    Video Out: dual-link DVI
    Camera: iSight

They are shipping me the following:

2.53GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    4GB 1066MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 2x2GB
    250GB Serial ATA Drive @ 5400 rpm
    SuperDrive 8x (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
    MacBook Pro 15-inch Glossy Widescreen Display
    Backlit Keyboard (English) / User's Guide (English)

I am a bit of a nerd and play WOW quite a lot. How will this run on the new vs the old? Anyone have any experience?

Thanks in advance!

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

It'll run about the same. You're getting a marginal graphics card upgrade (I assume they are shipping you a unibody?) and a slight processor upgrade. How much RAM did you have in the old one? That might speed things up too.

3. ryan.hayes79 thread starter macrumors member

Hi Miles,

I had upgraded the old one from the stock to 4GB of RAM.

Yeah, they are shipping the new Unibody with the built in battery. I am not bothered about it running any better, just want to ensure it doesn't run any worse. I will be happy with the better battery and trackpad to be honest.

4. DAMNiatx macrumors 6502a

DAMNiatx

5. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

6. MacModMachine macrumors 68020

MacModMachine

no its not, you should be getting the 2.66 to match your discreet video, call and request that. tell them you need discreet video.

7. Feng Shui macrumors regular

Tell them to give you the 2.66GHz one with the discrete video card. That 9400M is nothing compared to the 8600m gt.

8. aleksandra. macrumors 6502a

The only significant difference is the lack of dedicated graphics (new low-end 15" MBP has only integrated graphics, same as 13" MBP). Otherwise it's a slightly better computer.

9. ashjamben macrumors 6502a

you could argue the model they're giving you is only worth $1699, where as you probably paid more for yours.

on the other hand, you are getting a better spec'd machine. apart from dedicated graphics card, so if that is a necessity to you i'd be demanding the higher end 15" mbp.

10. jdaco6 macrumors regular

Apple seem to have this error in their system at the moment which seems to match the old 2.4's and 2.53's with the wrong models for replacement. You should be looking at, as someone has already said the 2.66 model to match the graphics chip you have in your current one. You will have to actually point this out and they will have to do the replacement 'manually' through the system.

11. bli625 macrumors 6502a

bli625

Don't let them give you a 9400. Demand the 9600.

12. daver.cl macrumors member

i was in the same situation.. they offered me a 'paid upgrade' to the 2.66ghz model. i paid $300 for it. i signed a contract, so i guess there's nothing i can do about it.

that being said, i doubt apple will send you the midrange macbook pro to replace the one you've got. be happy that they're sending you a brand new unit at all, or just ask for a refurbished model from your current generation. you could also do as i did and do the paid upgrade.

13. bli625 macrumors 6502a

bli625

They don't do these kind of replacements with a refurbished unit. Still, the OP should not have to settle for an integrated solution when he paid for a discrete solution. Unless the 9400 is equal to the 8600gt in terms of power, he should be getting the 9600gt.

14. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

I experienced a slight decrease in performance when using the 9400M instead of the 9600M GT with the settings I used so if you can, I'd certainly recommend you calling them asking for the 9600M GT.

15. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Well they are really under no obligation to send you the same computer price point, so technically it's of similar performance; however in the graphics department this would be a downgrade, so the least they should do is send you the one with discrete graphics.

16. bli625 macrumors 6502a

bli625

Mhm. They should never downgrade performance. Definitely give Apple a call as soon as you can.

17. daver.cl macrumors member

these are the options the customer service rep gave me:

1: a replacement unit at the same tier as my original. i had the lowest-end macbook pro (an early-08 2.4ghz), so my replacement would have been a 2.53ghz uMBP.

2: a 'paid upgrade' which could get me any macbook for the difference. i chose a 2.66ghz uMBP and paid $300 to upgrade

3: a replacement for a refurbished early-2008 model, or any non-uMBP model comparable to mine.

regardless, let me know if apple will actually honor this kind of request. if so, i'm going to contact the CSR i was working with and ask him if he can refund my $300 upgrade.

18. MacModMachine macrumors 68020

MacModMachine

this sounds like it was handled fairley.

you were offered a refurb of the same vaule, take the refurb or pay difference. was handled very fair IMHO

19. daver.cl macrumors member

i agree. yes, the new mbps cost less, but apple doesn't 'owe' you a replacement. it isnt covered by applecare and there's no 'replacement clause'. apple handles replacement machines on a per-case basis as an extension of good faith (and excellent customer service to replace a year-and-a-half old machine with a brand new one) to the customer. i don't regret the $300 i spent on this machine. it's wicked fast and i couldn't be happier with it.

if you absolutely positively need discrete graphics for gaming, i suggest either keeping your current machine, taking a refurb (you might even be able to get a 2.4 late-2008 unibody with discrete gfx, and overall better specs (aside from the cpu) than the current mid-2009 model), or suck it up and pay for the upgrade. don't bite the hand that feeds you -- apple legally doesn't owe you anything.

20. MacModMachine macrumors 68020

MacModMachine

3 major repairs, considered a lemon, thus you can argue the lemon law.

apple does have a repair clause, you do not get to see it. its for people who work for apple only and mostly is in place to cover things they could be forced to recall.

21. ryan.hayes79 thread starter macrumors member

Hi all,

Thanks for all your replies.

I only ever play one game on it and that is WOW.

I feel the extended battery life and SD slot will be a huge benefit. All I was asking was in terms of that one game will it be a massive change in performance? The girl at AppleCare has been brilliant and I could go back and see if other options are available.

22. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

It's true that Apple doesn't owe him anything but at the same time, by not giving him a MacBook Pro w/ discrete, Apple is not backing up what they advertise and they're treating the MacBook Pro as a MacBook Pro with zero differences. Apple advertises with the 9600M GT as that extra power when you need it for your tasks. Let's say the OP really needs it, Apple is doing him a disservice by giving him a "lesser" computer. If anything, Apple should give him the same computer. I know for fact that Apple has reserves so it shouldn't be a problem to give him the same machine even it if was "old".

It's not a HUGE difference but you might have to lower your settings a bit. Look a few posts above, I noted that there is a slight decrease with my specs that I set it as so yours may differ. Just giving a heads up.

23. jdaco6 macrumors regular

That sounds quite fair, that is he problem with altering the tiers of the Machines when the specs are not better or the same, quite a unique situation for Apple. This is of corse due to price cuts etc. I feel this was a fair way of dealing with this situation, although I am sure many would disagree.

Edit: Then again it is not your fault they lowered price and therefore the tiers is it? (There is arguments both ways and your result will depend on which department you get through to, Executive Relations can do a spec match so that your replacement matches your new replacement in every way (or better), other departments are stuck with the tier system which head office decide on.

24. daver.cl macrumors member

yeah, when i mentioned that the mid-2009 'tier 1' pros didn't have discrete graphics, the csr told me he could try to scrounge up an early 2008 refurb. i suggested a late-08 refurb because it seems as if it might be a great compromise for the OP. he'd get a unibody but still retain discrete graphics. the only real sacrifice would be that it'd be a 2.4 instead of a 2.53 (or 2.66) and no extended battery or sd slot.

OP: my suggestion would be to get the 2.66ghz uMBP whether you can get one for free or do the $300 paid upgrade. i'm no gamer, but for photoshop, maya, etc. (i'm a designer and animator) it is noticeably faster than my 2.4 early 2008 macbook pro. i love it :)

either way, let us know what happens. i'd be interested to see the result, considering i was in the same situation as you.

25. brendancd macrumors newbie

brendancd

Hey guys who are getting their 2.4ghz MBP's replaced:

How many times did your machines get repaired? Wondering because I am about to send my late 2007 2.4ghz MBP in for its third round of repairs under applecare. Any recommendations re: who to contact? This MBP has spent 3% of its life inoperable, in the shop, or in-transit and I want satisfaction.

Thanks