Resolved Is this a scratch on my iPad?!

Discussion in 'iPad' started by HuggyLowDown, Aug 11, 2011.

1. HuggyLowDown, Aug 11, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2011

HuggyLowDown macrumors regular

HuggyLowDown

I recently noticed a scratch under the Apple logo of my 1st gen. iPad, but I'm not convinced it's a scratch. It almost looks like a pencil mark. I don't feel a scratch, it feels smooth. Should I take it in and see what a genius thinks? I've tried to clean it off but no luck.

Attached Files:

2. LagFighter macrumors regular

Looks like a scratch. If it's a pencil mark, it will rub off.

Ask a Genius if you're really unsure, but it's pretty obvious to me.

3. LanEvo macrumors 6502

Looks like a scratch, but off chance it may be a crack?

4. AppleTech22 macrumors 6502

scratches don't feel different than the iPad backing really. I have plenty because the thing scratches so easily, but that's the price of not having a case to cover the beauty.

5. PaulWog Suspended

I'm sorry. I don't mean to make fun of you, but:

"I don't know if this is a scratch. Should I take it in and have Apple look at it to tell me if it's a scratch?"

I think this one's on you to deal with. I haven't the faintest clue as to why you'd want an Apple Genius to look at it to determine if you scratched your iPad.

6. LanEvo macrumors 6502

Maybe he gets lucky and they exchange it...

7. PaulWog Suspended

If it's under 2 weeks old then I can see why maybe... but then he doesn't need to get lucky. He could return it anyways (well... maybe... can't exactly return damaged goods but it wouldn't be that difficult to return an iPad like that within the 2 week period).

I haven't a clue why someone would be so bothered by that to actually want to get a free replacement. That's just absolutely ridiculous.

8. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

No, you damaged it regardless of what it is.

9. spiderman0616 macrumors 68030

spiderman0616

The backs of iPads, much like the antenna band on the iPhone 4, are very soft and easily scratchable. You scratched it. I doubt the Apple store will do anything for you.

10. .md macrumors member

.md

Jesus, if you're complaining about that minor scratch, you should check out my devices.

11. stevenlangley1 macrumors regular

stevenlangley1

If your not actually trolling, then I'd like to know what you think the Genius would do about it?

12. PaulWog Suspended

It'd be hilarious if he wasn't joking and he took it in.

Apple Genius: "How can I help you today?"

Him: "I'm not sure if this is a scratch on the back of my iPad"

Apple Genius: "Well, it appears to be a scratch, yes."

Him: "Okay. Thanks."

Apple Genius: "Is there anything else I can help you with today?"

Him: "No thanks. I just wanted to know if it was a scratch or not."

13. sehnsucht77 macrumors 6502

14. HuggyLowDown thread starter macrumors regular

HuggyLowDown

Thanks for everyones input. I guess it's a scratch. I'm planning on selling this and buying an iPad 2. I still will, maybe throw in a pair of earphones for the scratch. :eek:

15. PaulWog Suspended

Oh I'm sure you'll be able to find a buyer who doesn't care about the scratch. If you're selling on craigslist or something like that, take a picture of the back that flatters the iPad while still doesn't hide the scratch. Don't specifically mention the scratch.

Honestly though, since you own an iPad 1, I'd say wait for the iPad 3 (and sell the iPad 1 a couple weeks in advance before the average joe really knows much about the iPad 3 release date). But if money is no issue then the iPad 2 is a good buy despite you already owning an iPad 1 I presume.

16. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Don't even worry about it. That scratch is so insignificant, the resale value would hardly be different from what you would have got if you hadn't had scratched it.

17. quizzi macrumors regular

quizzi

The awkward moment when the Apple Genius just looks at you after inspecting the scratch on your iPad. :p

18. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

Yep, would be kinda dumb to take it to genius bar for that.

19. andyroochoo macrumors member

doesnt take a genuis to work out its a scratch

bud dum tush.

20. sehnsucht77, Aug 12, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2011

sehnsucht77 macrumors 6502

yes but the OP did post on a forum to check if it is a scratch. it may not take a genius but it did result in someone posting on a forum to check what others think. haha. posts like these amuse me -tons.:D

21. fhall1 macrumors 68040

fhall1

Guys.....along these lines I notice if I hold my iPad 2 at an angle to the light I see these elliptical spots and linear smudges on the front glass (screen). I've tried cleaning them off and it seems to work, but after a while they seem to reappear - sometimes in other locations on the screen.

I could post a picture tonight, but I think I'll take it to the genius bar first and see if they can verify if these are fingerprints or something else...what do you all think?

(a good skit for the "Mr Obvious Show)

22. melva macrumors member

It's a SCRACK

Finally a real meat and potatoes issue upon which to have a hearty and meaningful discussion.
    It doesn't take a genius to see that it's a crack that got scratched.

23. sehnsucht77 macrumors 6502

oh SNAP!

24. Contiguous macrumors member

This is a serious problem and you should get a replacement for this, immediately. Don't take no for an answer - keep calling 1-800-MY-APPLE until you get a satisfactory unit, even if it takes 6 returns. This is a very expensive item, you deserve to have it immaculate and blemish free. Of course, my iPad has no marks on it, since I never take it out of the clear polycarbonate safe that I use it in. (Fortunately Bluetooth works through Lexan.) :D

25. xraydoc macrumors 604

xraydoc

I think I have a fingerprint on the screen of mine. It's right where I touch the screen frequently, but I'm not sure. Should I take it to a genius and see if he can tell whether or not it's a fingerprint?

/facepalm!