Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jdguggs10

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 7, 2011
Boston
- Did not have a mobile me email.
- Have an existing Apple ID under @gmail
- Updated Lion
- It asks to create an email, I create a @me email
- I sign in with said @me email on iCloud and Apple ID at the website successfully

But the actual ID and Primary email address remains under my old @gmail

...So, I go to change it, and I get this error...

xZdzQ.png

I don't understand how I could have done anything wrong. What should I do now?

EDIT: I can log into the same @gmail Apple ID with my @me address... both work for the ID

Last edited:

jdguggs10

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 7, 2011
Boston
I promise to post back here as soon as I hear of a solution. Thanks for making me feel better. Misery loves company!

TnKid71

macrumors newbie
Feb 21, 2011
Deep in the Heart of Crazytown
This is the most arsed up thing I have ever seen.

Why the heck can't I assign my previous appleid to the @me.com email address I just created?

I am going back to google sync until they figure out how to fix this.

boymom75

macrumors member
Jun 8, 2009
I learned this months ago (after hours on the phone with mobile me support and applecare) while trying to change my itunes Apple ID to a different email (the one I started it with was now out of use). The issue is that once a me.com email is created (as mine was years ago), it is automatically associated with a separate and new Apple ID that cannot merge with your purchase history from your existing iTunes Apple ID. (You can change an iTunes apple ID to any OTHER email, but not a me.com or mac.com one, as those are automatically separate ID's.

You need to go into store or settings or something and use your former iTunes ID email for purchases, keeping your new or old me.com as your iCloud ID. Hope that makes sense. You can, however, change the CONTACT email on that account to one that will reach you.

It's stupid. They have to allow a one time transfer of purchase history.

jdguggs10

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 7, 2011
Boston
Thank you

For your response that definitely shed some light on the situation. I will say, it seems like this issue is being brought into muchhhh more light tonight than it was previously. Many people had Apple IDs but are just now creating @me addresses. There will be no other solution for Apple than to solve this problem head on. I am not sure how, or when, but this won't be acceptable in the long run for a company like Apple. They know that.

Let's hope for sooner rather than later.

kuwisdelu

macrumors 65816
Jan 13, 2008
I learned this months ago (after hours on the phone with mobile me support and applecare) while trying to change my itunes Apple ID to a different email (the one I started it with was now out of use). The issue is that once a me.com email is created (as mine was years ago), it is automatically associated with a separate and new Apple ID that cannot merge with your purchase history from your existing iTunes Apple ID. (You can change an iTunes apple ID to any OTHER email, but not a me.com or mac.com one, as those are automatically separate ID's.

You need to go into store or settings or something and use your former iTunes ID email for purchases, keeping your new or old me.com as your iCloud ID. Hope that makes sense. You can, however, change the CONTACT email on that account to one that will reach you.

It's stupid. They have to allow a one time transfer of purchase history.

I'm not sure if it's the same issue, because when I use my me.com email address to log into iTunes or iCloud, I get the same account, even though I logged in using the me.com address, I still see my old email address as the Apple ID. That doesn't make much sense to me.

jdguggs10

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 7, 2011
Boston
Interesting point, yes because I can in fact log in with both my @gmail & @me addresses...

Surely

Oct 27, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
I think that they're having some major issues with their AppleID service.

I tried to create a new AppleID tonight for my wife with her email address, and their site states that that AppleID already exists. It doesn't.

When I called Apple, they checked their database, and it shows that it doesn't exist.

I was advised to call AppleCare in the morning so they can troubleshoot this issue.

jdguggs10

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 7, 2011
Boston
surely

I think you advice is just about right... for example, my mail app is now rejecting my iCloud password...

it would be awful nice to fall asleep and have all these issues resolved in the am

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.