Is this AT&T rep lying to me?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mrat93, Oct 13, 2010.

1. mrat93 macrumors 65816

mrat93

There's a Nokia 2330 for $7.99 at wireless.att.com. I want to use this as a phone to take to concerts and other places where it can potentially be harmed. I have another prepaid phone from over three years ago that I use for the same purpose, but the 2330 has a camera whereas my current one doesn't. I just wanted to make sure that I wouldn't be charged anything if I don't use the SIM they provide me.

I used their live help tool to get some questions answered.

Since she didn't give me a definite answer, can somebody else? If I buy this phone as pay as you go, but never use the SIM, will I be charged anything other than the cost of the phone? Thanks.

2. apple3g040193 macrumors 6502

apple3g040193

since the go phone is not subsidized i cannot see any reason why they would charge you extra money.

3. RaceTripper macrumors 68030

A while back when I had my iPhone (original 2G), I was prevented from taking it into my workspace (due to the camera). I bought a cheap GoPhone and every morning when I got to work, I popped the SIM card out of my iPhone and put it in the GoPhone, leaving my iPhone turned off and locked in my car. I never activated the GoPhone SIM and didn't have any issues using my iPhone SIM.

But that was two years ago...

4. Eldiablojoe macrumors 6502a

Eldiablojoe

If the AT&T Rep's lips are moving, there's a very good chance they're lying.

5. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

POTD! :D

6. Tom G. macrumors 68000

Tom G.

To Eldiablojoe,

I have not ever had any problem with AT&T reps in any store I've gone to. I don't see where she was lying, she may have been mistaken but that is all. How could she lie when she didn't give the OP the direct answer he was looking for. That is why he posted on here.

7. Trius macrumors 6502a

Trius

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

She told you what she is trained to tell you. She's just doing her job. Technically you are not supposed to do this. The whole reason they sell the pay as you go phones is so you ....you know... Pay as you go. There is no contract to sign, so once you buy the phone, it is essentially the same as any other GSM phone. If you can put a sim card in it, it will work with that sim's phone number.

8. stephensays macrumors member

LMAO
    anyways OP, you won't get charged anymore than you normally would be for your iPhone because like the rep said your sim card is tied to your number which is tied to your phone bill. so no worries! when I had t-evil, I was switching between sidekicks, blackberries, and dumb phones with no problem.

9. ItsJustafnPhone macrumors 6502a

strange I didn't know this was an AT&T forum

damn I wish, oh do I wish that somewhere online there was a place where I could ask support questions on an AT&T forum

:rolleyes:

10. OneMike macrumors 601

OneMike

People like you are annoying. Come into a thread to add absolutely nothing useful. What's the point? Didn't know this was a add nothing use to the thread forum.

To answer the OPs question though as I did basically the same.

Yes, you can put your iPhone sim in the gophone (although some gophones use a standard size sim. in that case you'd need an adapter most likely)
    No, you won't see any charges or account changes at all.

Here is what I did.

When I first got my iPhone 4. After a couple weeks I was going to return it. However, I already sold my 3GS. I wasn't sure what permanent phone I wanted so in between I wanted to get a cheap gophone. I got one. Just put my iPhone sim in it and it worked.

No account changes, plan changes or anything occurred.

I ended up keeping my iPhone, but till this day I still use the nokia as a backup when needed.

11. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Stop it. :rolleyes: There is an ignore feature, learn to use it or express some self control by not clicking on threads that CLEARLY highlight AT&T as being the potential issue outlined in the post.

OP, it sounds like she is not quite correct about what she is saying. I wouldn't say she is lying, I'd say she's just stupid.

12. deeddawg macrumors 604

Technically though, is it really lying if they don't know what they're talking about? :D

13. ghayenga macrumors regular

Point.

14. zephxiii macrumors 6502

You can get a lot better phones off of eBay for not a whole lot too, just something else to consider. I use a Q9h (that I love) as my backup (and for tethering), load that thing up with opera mini and some other things and you are good to go. That and if you have exchange, itl be synced upseiche after it gets on the network. Only paid fifty bucks for it.

15. iceterminal macrumors 68000

iceterminal

Yes, you can take your SIM card from your iPhone 3G/3GS and put it into a AT&T Go Phone.
    I've done it with my son's phone before. His go phone was not the Nokia you're speaking of, but switching it out worked fine for us. We were not charged anything extra since we did not activate the go phone sim card.

16. shelbymayer macrumors regular

I work at an AT&T store so let me clearify for you!

yes you can put your SIM card in ANY AT&T phone and use it just as your original phone/plan. We actually tell this to customers constantly, especially if they have a broken phone and aren't enrolled in wireless insurance and aren't due for an upgrade because go phone prices are SIGNIFICANTLY cheaper than buying a phone outright. The only problem you might run into is if you have an Iphone4 it is the ONLY phone right now that uses a MICRO sim card so you would have to buy a micro sim adapter to make it fit into a phone that uses a standard sim card, but if you don't have the IP4 then you should be just fine!

hope this helps!

17. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Lol :D
    Either lying or making stuff up as they go.

18. thetaylor13 macrumors regular

thetaylor13

Hells yea you can do it. I work for a government contractor that handles mobile phone for government entities. Its tiring activating phones all day, the best part is having someone with AT&T/TMobile who want to activate a replacement phone.

I don't even make a call to AT&T, I tell them to swap their SIMs and get to hang up :D

It's a beautiful thing.

19. nixiemaiden macrumors 6502a

I overheard a conversation about this when I was at wal-mart not too long ago. There was a lady who broke her phone and it wasn't insured so she was looking for a cheap solution. The guy at walmart said that basically at&t doesn't like contract customers buying go phones and putting their sim cards in them because they would rather have them replace the phones through them at a higher price and possible contract extension...however there isn't anything to prevent people from doing it.

You shouldn't be charged any extra money.

20. ItsJustafnPhone macrumors 6502a

Dear MacRumors, I bought a Sony Erricson W995 Phone at AT&T and somehow the Bluetooth function doesn't work ?

as you can see

Both my question and the OP's

Have absolutely nothing to do with the iPhone!

Gee i wonder if there is a Forum I could find answers to..
    :Google search:
    http://forums.se-nse.net/index.php?act=home

http://forums.se-nse.net/topic/52984-w995-bluetooth-wont-connect/

Boy that was hard, I had no Idea I could find Sony Erricson answers in a Sony Erricson forum :rolleyes:

21. Mike2128 macrumors 6502

If you follow any of the instructions in the box with regards to prepaid activation, the IMEI and the prepaid SIM become locked to one another.

If you just open the box, pop your SIM in, you'll be fine. If you register that IMEI, you'll also get those included bonus minutes applied as Rollover minutes to your account.

22. Mike2128 macrumors 6502

That Walmart guy should stick to working at Walmart and not think so much. The GoPhone replacement option is standard practice and policy.

23. Eldiablojoe macrumors 6502a

Eldiablojoe

TomG, I was just joking. Sorta. I know that they don't ALL lie (there's one somewhere that doesn't) about EVERYthing.

Deeddawg and ghayenga, many people consider lying to be both actively giving false information AND/OR omitting information. Omitting is just as bad.

I believe that BSing is also lying. If I razzle-dazzle you, confuse you, and basically give out ************* information because I'm either ignorant or actively trying to deceive is also lying.

YMMV

24. mrat93 thread starter macrumors 65816

mrat93

Thanks, everybody. Got my Nokia 2330 in the mail today, works fine with the Micro SIM and adaptor. Pretty good deal if you ask me. Only $8.00 plus tax. Here's the link if you're interested.

25. kevintech macrumors 6502

May I ask what micro sim adapter you are using?