Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DeNachtwacht

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 2, 2012
Hi, last Thursday I bought an Apple Watch Series 2 (42mm) and am a little bit dissatisfied with the battery life. I planned to charge it every night, have some sleep tracking during the night, and then one day of normal usage (+ 15 minutes of GPS tracking) but my watch does not seem to last that long; only about 18 to 20 hours. Is that normal?

My settings:
- haptics medium
- brightness low
- dock empty (no background apps)
- he siri off
- refresh on background (in general settings) turned off

- a Handy watch face with 4 complications: battery, weather temperature, calendar day, and agenda (next item). Are any of them really demanding?

So it seems to me that my settings are not very demanding, neither is my usage. I am on watchOS 3.1 and an iPhone SE with iOS 10.2. The iPhone also seems to last a little shorter.

Last edited:

lclev

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2013
Ohio
I downloaded and installed 3.1.1 - which has been withdrawn because it destroyed some watches. But my battery life was good before and now it is even better. After 12 hours I have 90% left.

I am running the same exact compilations as you with the same type of activities. I do track health activities too.

BlueMoon63

macrumors 68020
Mar 30, 2015
Can you explain some more about your sleep tracking and if you turn off raise to wake and maybe airplane mode? What is the battery percentage when you wake?

I have a series 2 and from 100% when I go to bed with wrist raise off and no sleep tracker app running - though it tracks for an app on the phone. Plus silent alarm, I normally wake with 96% after 8 hours. Never did the airplane mode. Sometimes I wake with 90-86% and assume I may bump the screen several times and light the display. I cold boot the Watch whenever I wake with <90% just in case. I do have the dock full with all native apps but one. Background refresh is completely off except carrot weather.

I finish the day with 60% without a workout and about 50% with a workout. Give or take. Light usage during the day... most days.

SMonroe

macrumors newbie
May 12, 2016
Bottom line, that's not normal. Are you sure you're only using about 15 min with gps?

I work out every day (no gps), use sleep watch, pretty much same settings, and get at least 40-45 hrs. Charge every other night before bed.

DeNachtwacht

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 2, 2012
Thanks for the replies. After a reboot of the watch yesterday evening, and disabling incoming mail on the watch, the battery became much better. I got it off the charger at around 7pm, and right now, noon, i am at 77%. Is the mail app responsible for this huge drain or was it the reboot?

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
Thanks for the replies. After a reboot of the watch yesterday evening, and disabling incoming mail on the watch, the battery became much better. I got it off the charger at around 7pm, and right now, noon, i am at 77%. Is the mail app responsible for this huge drain or was it the reboot?

The mail app uses little power. Now if you spend a lot of time reading emails or answering emails.......

Resqu2

macrumors 6502a
Apr 23, 2011
Bottom line, that's not normal. Are you sure you're only using about 15 min with gps?

I work out every day (no gps), use sleep watch, pretty much same settings, and get at least 40-45 hrs. Charge every other night before bed.

This is close to my usage and battery life. My display is set as bright as it will go though.

DeNachtwacht

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 2, 2012
The mail app uses little power. Now if you spend a lot of time reading emails or answering emails.......
Thanks, then it was the reboot that did it. According to the watch app, I am now 17 hours off the charger with 77% battery left, so it seems to be in line with your experiences now.

Reactions: Newtons Apple

DeNachtwacht

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 2, 2012
Thanks, I'll put some settings back and see how it turns out. I am at 67% now so it still seems to do well. Greetings and merry Christmas from Holland!

Reactions: SMonroe
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.