is this battery life normal?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by DeNachtwacht, Dec 24, 2016.

Tags:
  1. DeNachtwacht, Dec 24, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2016

DeNachtwacht macrumors member

DeNachtwacht

Hi, last Thursday I bought an Apple Watch Series 2 (42mm) and am a little bit dissatisfied with the battery life. I planned to charge it every night, have some sleep tracking during the night, and then one day of normal usage (+ 15 minutes of GPS tracking) but my watch does not seem to last that long; only about 18 to 20 hours. Is that normal?

My settings:
    - haptics medium
    - brightness low
    - dock empty (no background apps)
    - he siri off
    - refresh on background (in general settings) turned off

- a Handy watch face with 4 complications: battery, weather temperature, calendar day, and agenda (next item). Are any of them really demanding?

So it seems to me that my settings are not very demanding, neither is my usage. I am on watchOS 3.1 and an iPhone SE with iOS 10.2. The iPhone also seems to last a little shorter.

2. lclev macrumors regular

lclev

I downloaded and installed 3.1.1 - which has been withdrawn because it destroyed some watches. But my battery life was good before and now it is even better. After 12 hours I have 90% left.

I am running the same exact compilations as you with the same type of activities. I do track health activities too.

3. BlueMoon63 macrumors 68020

Can you explain some more about your sleep tracking and if you turn off raise to wake and maybe airplane mode? What is the battery percentage when you wake?

I have a series 2 and from 100% when I go to bed with wrist raise off and no sleep tracker app running - though it tracks for an app on the phone. Plus silent alarm, I normally wake with 96% after 8 hours. Never did the airplane mode. Sometimes I wake with 90-86% and assume I may bump the screen several times and light the display. I cold boot the Watch whenever I wake with <90% just in case. I do have the dock full with all native apps but one. Background refresh is completely off except carrot weather.

I finish the day with 60% without a workout and about 50% with a workout. Give or take. Light usage during the day... most days.

4. SMonroe macrumors newbie

Bottom line, that's not normal. Are you sure you're only using about 15 min with gps?

I work out every day (no gps), use sleep watch, pretty much same settings, and get at least 40-45 hrs. Charge every other night before bed.

5. DeNachtwacht thread starter macrumors member

DeNachtwacht

Thanks for the replies. After a reboot of the watch yesterday evening, and disabling incoming mail on the watch, the battery became much better. I got it off the charger at around 7pm, and right now, noon, i am at 77%. Is the mail app responsible for this huge drain or was it the reboot?

6. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

The mail app uses little power. Now if you spend a lot of time reading emails or answering emails.......

7. Resqu2 macrumors 6502a

This is close to my usage and battery life. My display is set as bright as it will go though.

8. DeNachtwacht thread starter macrumors member

DeNachtwacht

Thanks, then it was the reboot that did it. According to the watch app, I am now 17 hours off the charger with 77% battery left, so it seems to be in line with your experiences now.

9. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

You should not have to turn anything off for your watch to more than last a full day.

Hope your enjoy and Merry Christmas.

10. DeNachtwacht thread starter macrumors member

DeNachtwacht

Thanks, I'll put some settings back and see how it turns out. I am at 67% now so it still seems to do well. Greetings and merry Christmas from Holland!