Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DragonX

macrumors 6502
Mar 23, 2013
All of which is people showing off their bent iPad Pro?

What do you mean?

What do you mean "it gets bent over time from normal usage"? My 12.9 Pro certainly hasn't.

My iPad hasn’t either (instead it developed white bleeds and hardware touchscreen failures), but for many on the thread above - it has. Also google "iPad bent" and all those crazy videos. I've seen ones myself right in the Apple Store.

Cookie18

macrumors 6502a
Sep 11, 2014
France
Honestly, it looks like you’re seeing what you want to see. Unless it really doesn’t come out in pictures, in which case is it an issue anyway?

millydog

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2007
Australia
My first 2018 12.9” arrived with more bend than your one and that was out of the box. Apple accepted my return and my second one is 16 months old and not even slightly bent. You need to look hard to see a bend in yours, so it doesn’t look like an issue to me.

Reactions: 5425642

Scream And Fly

macrumors member
Nov 7, 2017
Florida and New York, USA
Many iPads have some very slight bend to them right from the factory. These are devices that are manipulated by hand in many ways during manufacturing and are glued and pressed together. That process will inevitably cause some very slight distortion on a device as thin and light as an iPad. They’re not made to be surgically-perfect devices and there will be some small production variances from the manufacturing process.

Reactions: Kal-037 and 5425642

GIBBI

macrumors member
Sep 22, 2018
Yours looks fine to me. I don't think that every iPad Pro is 100% flat on the table, also you won't notice it when you use it, so for me it wouldn´t be a reason for returning it.

I just checked mine, it kind of looks like yours when I put it on my table, the middle of it isn't completly flat on the table, but for me, no reason to play screen lottery. :p Also mine is already an exchanged iPad, because the other ones had different issues with the display. I checked them, too and they were also not 100% flat on the table.

If you don't see a bend during the normal use it is no real issue in my opinion.

But I have to admit, because of the thin structure I've ordered AC+, to get sure that I will get an replacement if I bend it accidently.

Scream And Fly

macrumors member
Nov 7, 2017
Myself I just use and enjoy the devices and don’t go looking for problems when there are not problems at all. iPhones and iPads are tools to use and enjoy, not to idolize and obsess over. They’ll be little variances in any product. Reading some of the posts on this forum would have people believe that 50% of Apple’s products have some defect or another. This isn’t directed at the OP, but I think your iPad is perfectly fine. For the sake of this post I checked both of my iPad Pros and they both have a very slight bend. They’ve never been stepped on or sat on or in a backpack, or any other situation that would bend them. So anyway, I need to get back to playing some Real Racing 3 on my iPad. Vrooooom!

• Haha
Reactions: GIBBI

Cancelled
Original poster
Jan 19, 2019
I have recived my Magic Keyboard now and everything looks fine :) No issues at all.
I love my Magic Keyboard this is a perfect mobile devices now, I have done some setups at customers for Azure tenants etc. and everything works perfectly fine!

Ofc, I need my Macbook Pro 16” sometimes but today it has been at the office and my iPad has been my working station in the field =)

DragonX

macrumors 6502
Mar 23, 2013
Many iPads have some very slight bend to them right from the factory. These are devices that are manipulated by hand in many ways during manufacturing and are glued and pressed together. That process will inevitably cause some very slight distortion on a device as thin and light as an iPad. They’re not made to be surgically-perfect devices and there will be some small production variances from the manufacturing process.

Like really? What kind of Apple marketing materials does this come from? What page?
So you tell us that Apple factory workers bend the devices while they're being manufactured? =) Well, on the second thought that can be an explanation why all recent iPads have all those crazy hardware problems right out of the box! Those workers bend the iPads, they add white spots on the screen, white bleeding and they freeze the touchscreens. Shame on you, Apple factory workers!

AutomaticApple

Suspended
Nov 28, 2018
Massachusetts
Like really? What kind of Apple marketing materials does this come from? What page?
So you tell us that Apple factory workers bend the devices while they're being manufactured? =) Well, on the second thought that can be an explanation why all recent iPads have all those crazy hardware problems right out of the box! Those workers bend the iPads, they add white spots on the screen, white bleeding and they freeze the touchscreens. Shame on you, Apple factory workers!
Those Apple factory workers are simply just trying to survive a pandemic right now (and feed their families). You should not expect perfection from anything during these hard times.

DragonX

macrumors 6502
Mar 23, 2013
Those Apple factory workers are simply just trying to survive a pandemic right now (and feed their families). You should not expect perfection from anything during these hard times.

Thank you for reminding us. But pandemic or hard times are absolutely not relevant to the iPads being bent. The issues started to appear 3-4 years ago! What was going on? I'm still trying to find out why iPads became (and still are) so badly manufactured back then?

AutomaticApple

Suspended
Nov 28, 2018
Massachusetts
Thank you for reminding us. But pandemic or hard times are absolutely not relevant to the iPads being bent. The issues started to appear 3-4 years ago! What was going on? I'm still trying to find out why iPads became (and still are) so badly manufactured back then?
What reality are you living in? There are many people who have perfectly fine iPads.

DragonX

macrumors 6502
Mar 23, 2013
There are many people who have perfectly fine iPads.

OK, so how is it connected to this conversation about problems with the iPads? You're doing the same thing over and over - you come to the threads where people have problems with the iPads and tell them that "others don't have them". For how long do you work for Apple?

Last edited:

AutomaticApple

Suspended
Nov 28, 2018
Massachusetts
OK, so how is it connected to this conversation about problems with the iPads? You're doing the same thing over and over - you come to the threads where people have problems with the iPads and tell them that "others don't have them". For how long do you work for Apple?
You do the same thing, but promote the opposite belief.

Scream And Fly

macrumors member
Nov 7, 2017

Like, really. Yawn.

Apple already stated this is normal:

And I never said factory workers were bending iPads. I said the manufacturing process with regard to pressing, gluing, and glue drying could very slightly render the iPad less than 100% NASA-approved, straightedge perfect. And it doesn’t need to be. Place your trusty straightedge up against your large television or monitor screen and it’s likely not absolutely, positively perfectly free of any slight bends. And again, it doesn’t need to be.

Like, really.

Carole F Baskin

Suspended
Apr 22, 2020
The bigger problem is not slight bending that doesn’t affect anything which I have in my iPad as well as millions of iPads.

It’s the bleeping Apple! They will offer you a lot less money when you trade in if there’s a bend in the device. They make bendy devices and then will give you less money for the same device they’ve produced.

If you can exchange - do it or you will regret it in the long run.

Scream And Fly

macrumors member
Nov 7, 2017
The bigger problem is not slight bending that doesn’t affect anything which I have in my iPad as well as millions of iPads.

It’s the bleeping Apple! They will offer you a lot less money when you trade in if there’s a bend in the device. They make bendy devices and then will give you less money for the same device they’ve produced.

If you can exchange - do it or you will regret it in the long run.

I think some bent iPads posted here and elsewhere are clearly bent from use. But is Apple really putting a straightedge to iPads? I think any slight bend from the factory would not be visible unless specifically checked for.

AutomaticApple

Suspended
Nov 28, 2018
Massachusetts
Like, really. Yawn.

And I never said factory workers were bending iPads. I said the manufacturing process with regard to pressing, gluing, and glue drying could very slightly render the iPad less than 100% NASA-approved, straightedge perfect. And it doesn’t need to be. Place your trusty straightedge up against your large television or monitor screen and it’s likely not absolutely, positively perfectly free of any slight bends. And again, it doesn’t need to be.

Like, really.
Well said!

Carole F Baskin

Suspended
Apr 22, 2020
I think some bent iPads posted here and elsewhere are clearly bent from use. But is Apple really putting a straightedge to iPads? I think any slight bend from the factory would not be visible unless specifically checked for.

Sure thing. Mine came out of the box very slightly bent but I didn’t bother replacing as I bought it for my business (tax free bla bla). This bloke’s iPad is bent inwards from each side which indicates something went wrong during production. If it was bent in the rucsack it would come out warped instead... if you know what I mean.
[automerge]1587558601[/automerge]
For those who support Apple saying “IT’S NORMAL” good luck to them trying to prove to Apple that IT’S NORMAL when they they reduce offer price when you try to trade in.

Reactions: DragonX

DragonX

macrumors 6502
Mar 23, 2013
Like, really. Yawn.

Well No, Apple didn't confirm the bends in the following thread are normal:

Just look at some pictures! There are 5-10mm bends out there. I wonder what happens to motherboards inside iPads that are bent that much. I don't think they last for too long.

Like, really.

I don't even know where to start... NASA Approved? Is it a QA agency? What does it even mean? They can use it at NASA and that's it? That doesn't mean anything.

The TVs you mentioned are usually 50 inches long and are viewed from 3-5 feet distance (at least). So don't compare it to iPads that are 12" long and are viewed from 10 inches, and put on the table.

So what kind of manufacturing process allows such crazy bends, touchscreen freezing, white spots on the screens of iPads and finally light bleeding of LEDs? I think only a faulty one. Apple's quality is quickly going downwards.

AutomaticApple

Suspended
Nov 28, 2018
Massachusetts
Well No, Apple didn't confirm the bends in the following thread are normal:

Just look at some pictures! There are 5-10mm bends out there. I wonder what happens to motherboards inside iPads that are bent that much. I don't think they last for too long.

I don't even know where to start... NASA Approved? Is it a QA agency? What does it even mean? They can use it at NASA and that's it? That doesn't mean anything.

The TVs you mentioned are usually 50 inches long and are viewed from 3-5 feet distance (at least). So don't compare it to iPads that are 12" long and are viewed from 10 inches, and put on the table.

So what kind of manufacturing process allows such crazy bends, touchscreen freezing, white spots on the screens of iPads and finally light bleeding of LEDs? I think only a faulty one. Apple's quality is quickly going downwards.
Your post history should seriously be acknowledged (in a good way).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.