Is this considered a classic?

Discussion in 'Apple Collectors' started by Joshuarocks, Mar 19, 2011.

1. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

2. Hrududu macrumors 68020

Hrududu

If its less than 10 years old, IMO its not classic its just old.

3. Synthion macrumors regular

It's old.

It's incompatible.

It is almost a classic.

Almost.

4. Charlie Sheen macrumors 6502

Charlie Sheen

5. michael.lauden macrumors 68020

michael.lauden

there is a difference between 'old' and 'vintage'. I mean, I'm pretty sure it can even run 10.5 (?)

6. chrismacguy macrumors 68000

Definitely not a classic. Not even close. It has to go through Obsolete and Vintage first. (Heck, my PowerMac 8100/100 isnt a classic yet, and that thing is coming up on 18 years old - your G5 Quad is barely 6, possibly less). It is however the most powerful non-Snow Leopard capable Mac in existence, at least, outside of Apple. I mean, not only does your Quad run a still-just-about-supported version of OS X (10.5), but some professionals still have them in use as secondary (or possibly even primary) machines. Give it a decade or 2, then it might be considered a classic, but not quite yet ;)

7. firewood macrumors 604

Compared to an Apple II, Mac Plus, or a Newton MP? Not a chance.

Of course, none of those are even old compared to the IBM 1401 from 1959, for which there is actually one running at the Computer History Museum in Silicon Valley.

8. Joshuarocks thread starter macrumors 6502

Joshuarocks

I firmly believe if a computer can do what you want it to do then it can never be obsolete.. for most of my work which is really, "everyday" basics.. with some exceptions my G4 PB 1.67 Hi-res w/DDR2 memory can do most of everything I throw at it.. and with new codecs I found using mplayer OS X Extended I can now play 240- up to 720p on my G4 1.67 - not bad at all..

And for 150 I installed a 128GB PATA SSD drive and it breathed new life into my PB G4. While yes, I do have my 2010 Mac Pro 6-core - I only use this for extreme high definition video, dvd ripping, handbrake etc.. but 70 percent of what I do is handled by the PB G4 and it does it quite nicely..

I am contemplating getting a G5 Quad again as I had this machine 2 years back and thanks to it, I got into my Intel transition.. I believe both PPC and Intel serve unique purposes.. Leopard is still a nice OS, but so is Linux and although Apple abandoned the PPC and Lion no longer supports Rosetta, I am sure Linux will keep the PPC macs going for a long time to come.

Intel and PowerPC - two great reasons why Macs are cool!

9. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

I think anything that runs lower than 10.2 would be a classic.

10. chrismacguy macrumors 68000

Basically anything Pre-G3 then... Its probably better to tie the definition to CPUs/Hardware Differences than OS Versions, since someone managed to get 10.5 running on a G4 upgraded 8500, and G3 upgraded PCI Macs can run 10.2 and up just fine... which would take your definition to be restricted to NuBus PowerPC and 68K Macs... see the difficulty with your method... since it depends where along the "crazy upgrade spectrum" you draw the line.....

11. supercooled macrumors 6502a

Anyone with the Macs you have in their stable would only get a PowerPC for nostalgic reasons. It's quite astounding to think a Mac Mini is more powerful than a G5 given their real estate difference though there is something to said about the timeless tower.

12. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

I would think the first G5 PowerMac would be a classic (if you have it complete in box).

Wasn't the Educational price on one like $1499?

:D

13. chrismacguy macrumors 68000

First-gen G5s with the Box really really aren't that rare or "classic" - If its unopened it could be a collectors item, but its a long long way from being a "classic" - it could be a "future classic" however.

14. dime21 macrumors 6502

negative... just an obsolete desktop.

15. dpaanlka, Mar 26, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2011

dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

If by "classic" you mean an older system you would want to hang onto or specifically buy for collectable/nostalgic reasons fully intending not to actually use as your primary system then no, it most certainly is not.

Also, simply being old, even very old, doesn't make it a classic or collectable either, nor is extreme age a pre-requisite. A Mac IIvx is definitely not a collectable, nor is a Performa 5200. However, some consider iMac G4s and Power Mac G4 Cubes highly desirable.

What determines a Mac's collectibility is its uniqueness relative to its contemporaries. Did it usher in a new age of unparalleled performance? Did it introduce radically new industrial design that put the industry on notice? Was it just too damn cute and adorable?

Many times, people will have really wanted a certain system when it was new but couldn't afford it, then many years later buy that very same system to sort of "fulfill" that dream, even when its long since obsolete.

Here's a short list of some Macs people often seek out for nostalgic reasons:

Macintosh (original 128k)
    Almost any 9" B&W Mac
    Color Classic
    Color Classic II
    Mac II or any "big" form factor desktop
    Quadra 900 or any based on this form factor
    Mac TV
    TAM
    PowerBook 3400 or Kanga
    PowerBook 2400
    PowerBook 540 and 550
    Pretty much any PowerBook Duo + accessories
    Quadra 840AV
    Some LCs and pizzabox form factors like Quadra 605
    Power Macintosh 8600/9600
    Blue & White G3 tower
    PowerBook G3 Wall Street
    PowerBook G3 Pismo
    Certain iMac G3s
    iMac G4s
    G4 Cube
    PowerBook G4 (Titanium)

A Power Mac G5 may fulfill some of the requirements of being a future classic, but as for right now, it is indeed still too new. Its form factor is still being produced even today, and the system itself may have represented an uncomfortable turning point for Apple that collectors may even want to avoid reliving in the future - that being the ultimate realization that our beloved PowerPC chips had no future.

16. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

That's what I was saying. Usually the first of a formfactor and the last of one tend to become collectible. I would think the first Aluminum Power Mac (the G5) would become collectible... especially those that kept the box - many I know that bought one threw the boxes out as they were too big to keep around.