Is this corrosion / water damage? (pics included)

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by wordoflife, Jan 13, 2011.

1. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

The iPod wouldn't charge so I decided to open it up and saw what I believe is corrosion. Can anyone confirm? Also, if you notice, the screw on the right is brown so is that rust?

[​IMG][​IMG]

Sorry for the quality, I took it from my phone.

Also, I kinda cracked the glass (digitizer?) whilst opening it. Is there any difference between the $15 on eBay or $75 on ifixit? Thanks...

*edit*
    Ohh! If that is corrosion, whats the best way to clean it? Alcohol swabs?

2. Willis macrumors 68020

Willis

1) thats liquid damage
    2) was the liquid contact indicator in the headphone jack pink/red?
    3) you should have just gone to Apple

3. wordoflife thread starter macrumors 604

wordoflife

Thanks, just making sure :)
    1) I was thinking about that
    2) I believe so; its hard to tell
    3) Its out of warranty :cool:

Anyways I kind of gave up on this whole project of cleaning up the corrosion because I accidentally applied pressure to the bare screen and it completely ruined it. :( That's too bad, I was really looking forward to it.

Oh well, at least that wasn't my iPod but I was planning on giving it to someone who didn't have an iPod. (it was my friend's who gave it to me who got a new fourth gen anyways :D)

4. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

Yes that appears to be corrosion. You should just call this a lost cause and give up. t is not worth the hassle. Also, if you decide to clean off the corrosion, you should use isopropanol (isopropyl alcohol). But be careful, because I left a bottle of that near my bed after I was cleaning corrosion off of my MacBook logic board, and I drank it (whilst in my slumberous stupor), because I thought it was water... Boy, was I in for a rude awakening... That happened last night btw...