Is this damage repairable?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by whoathere, Sep 1, 2012.

1. whoathere macrumors 6502

whoathere

Had a house warming party last night and had music streaming through ATV. Someone came up to my office to change music and apparently spilled a Corona all over my desk, which in turn got in the gap at the bottom of the display of my MBP. I didn't know about it until someone told me my screen wasn't working. Computer still seems fine, but I turned it off right away. Took it apart today to find this... with hardly any other trace of liquid in there...

Will cleaning that do any good or is it shot?

Attached Files:

2. NutsNGum macrumors 68030

NutsNGum

Ah, the fateful house party. I lost a digital piano to one of those a few years ago. I don't have people round, anymore.

3. chibisukee macrumors newbie

I think cleaning it might work - but it might be hard to clean the part where the pins make contact with the connector without messing up the pins.

4. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Fine brush and pure alcohol will do the trick then a few blasts with compressed air.

5. whoathere thread starter macrumors 6502

whoathere

I'm going to run to radio shack in a bit to pick up some cleaner... here's the info I have thus far

When I attempted to turn it off and back on last night, without knowing it was wet, the drive would boot (HDD would fire up) sleep light would come on, and the backlit keys would come on, no screen activity.

Makes sense when I take it apart and see this.

As far as cleaning, can I use a little 0000 steel wool or anything to help, or will that be a terrible idea? I'm new to this, never had something like this happen, but I have HOPE!

6. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

No, you're likely to scratch away a component or some of the etching on the board and make the problem worse. I wouldn't really use anything abrasive at all, just some good electronics cleaner and a cloth to wipe it off.

jW

7. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

It's worth a shot to try I would say - just be careful of course and I would agree with simply using a cloth instead of any other special or unordinary methods.

It's good that you have hope and a good outlook on the situation, if worse comes to worst and you cannot repair it on your own you can always take it to your local Apple Store and get quoted for a repair and decide where you want to go from there. I hope that you can get it fixed on your own anyhow. Good luck.

8. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I can't offer help on your computer since I don't know enough to fix it myself.

What I can suggest is next time don't let someone go to your office to change music; you can use the remote for the Apple TV. Of course this does mean you either need a TV connected or perhaps an iPhone/iPod touch/iPad running Remote.app; I wouldn't trust people with drinks around my computer either.

9. ron1004 macrumors 6502

ron1004

I would use non-residue electronics cleaner, tooth brush, cotton swabs, and finish off with a blast of compressed air in a can.

10. Tankmaze macrumors 68000

Tankmaze

that is the display connector, so it would boot but the display wont light up.

but seeing the bottom left at the logic board connector it looks fried. i'm afraid you have to change the logic board..... there is no other way around it....

11. markp99 macrumors member

Unless its just an artifact of the photo, but but it sure looks like you've shorted and vaporized at least a couple pins on the connector and the PCB pins on the receptacle.

[​IMG]

Ouchie, and Good Luck!

12. whoathere thread starter macrumors 6502

whoathere

I haven't had a chance to do the cleaning yet. At this point I'm almost just tempted to buy another and hook this up to an external to replace my aging C2D iMac, but I really don't want to do that. The cable looks like its about $20 and the only logic boards I've found are $900ish? Ouch

This is a refurb unit and cleaning it up and checking with apple to see what they say is also an option, though I can't imagine that will be any cheaper.

I'll post another picture once it's cleaned up.

Thanks for the replies.

13. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

It won't hurt to get a repair quote if you have a local Apple Store - the cost may turn out to be less than expected, although the display/logic board are very expensive repairs.

14. Puevlo macrumors 6502a

Just make the scumbag who ruined it buy you a new one. Easy.

15. MaxPower72 macrumors 6502

MaxPower72

I agree
    in case you want to try to fix it yourself this spray works wonders, I use it all the time to restore my old mac computers contacts

It comes with a long thin straw that you can insert to reach small contacts.

Attached Files:

16. bobcan macrumors 6502a

bobcan

Re: Cleaning..

No to the Steel Wool, or any other 'tool' that would shed conductive bits as you used it.. If it IS Beer or a Soda or any sugary liquids, then a Water-Dampened (I know seems counter intuitive with Liquid Sensors, but it is true!!) fine-bristled toothbrush will remove ANY remaining dried liquid residue faster and better than any sprays.. ** I work in the Pro Audio Industry and regularly have had to do such things with VERY expensive items.. ** Just clean a bit and remove any loosened pieces of dried-poop by rubbing bristles on a clean damp rag.. Go Slow..

Clean and re-damped the brush as it looks like needed, and repeat until nothing comes off as you work.. Slowly.. Then proceed with some Contact Cleaner: CAIG is a great company, and their cleaners are sold in many larger music stores, as well as Electronic Service Shops across North America.. Just tell someone you are cleaning Gold Contacts.. Again you can Spray Lightly and Brush Gently to work it in.. ** GOLD is a very soft metal, and is very thinly applied, so Play Nice!!

You may resurrect it, wouldn't be surprised, but this is The Only Way I am quite sure to proceed.. That being said, all the items in that area appear to be Surface Mount Technology and attacking a repair on it without the proper Hot Air Soldering Station would be impossible.. Good Luck!!

:apple:

17. hallux macrumors 68020

hallux

Something that hasn't been mentioned, and maybe you know this already, unplug the battery fore doing ANY of the cleaning!

18. whoathere thread starter macrumors 6502

whoathere

OK, so here's an update:

Cleaned the area shown in the picture, forgot to take a current state photo, but 99% of the noticeable gunk came off. Hooked everything back up and turned it on. Could hear the drive working, keyboard lights up, nothing else. I reset the PRAM and VRAM, heard the two chimes, still nothing on the screen.

When I first hooked everything back up, and hit the button, I swear I saw the faintest flicker in the screen, but that may have just been my hopes.

Now, the next issue is that I have to get a different external display adapter to make sure this thing is still working. I can get a cheap one from Best Buy and hook it up. How do you suggest I go about mirroring the external display? Or can I just close the lid and it will default to the external? Is there a shortcut maybe?

19. 725032 Guest

That thing is toast

Your friends need to learn better respect for you and you're items... I would question whether this person is a friend at all if they didnt even tell you straight away

20. hvfsl macrumors 68000

hvfsl

If you close the lid when you have a monitor/USB keyboard + mouse plugged in, it should disable the internal display. I take it you don't have any house insurance then?

Edit: Have you tried shining a light on the screen to see if anything is displayed as it could just be the back-lighting that has gone?

21. whoathere thread starter macrumors 6502

whoathere

Yes I have homeowners insurance, but I didn't know if this would be something worth filing a claim over. I guess my option could be to file a claim, get a replacement, and if this will work with a keyboard and mouse on external, then I've just upgraded my iMac. Kinda lame but whatever.

And yes, I'm not happy that he tried to blame it on someone else. No more groups of people at my house!

22. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Command-F1 will switch to mirroring, if your computer is in extended display mode, which is the default. Closing the lid would also work.

jW

23. whoathere thread starter macrumors 6502

whoathere

Command+F1 worked. When I would open and close the lid, you could see the LCD trying to do something, and would extend the desktop, but closing the lid would put the MBP to sleep. Probably because it's running on battery.

Anyway, I am posting this from the macbook pro right now. They keyboard seems to operate just fine, but obviously still no screen activity.

My plan right now is to file a homeowners claim, which sucks because, as this was a house warming party, I just moved in about 7 weeks ago and to already have a claim is kind of disappointing, but hopefully since it's such a small amount it won't do too much damage to my rates.

I will replace the MBP and just get refunded when my claim check comes back. I'll sell my 20" C2D iMac and just use this MBP as my new desktop.

Here's a question tho, as you all seem quite knowledgeable. Could I go and buy a 15" glossy display, take the functional logic board and the LVDS cable and swap them with the damaged logic board (assuming) and LVDS cable in the matte MBP that I have. THis would make the matte hi res MBP functional, and the useless desktop replacement would be the one with the glossy display. Think that would work? Would just be less out of pocket expense, and still have the same result.

24. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

Have you tried talking with the person that is actually at fault? Not sure if from a legal perspective or what not it's technically "your fault" because it was "your party" but I'm not saying sue the person - just inquire about them being responsible for their specific actions I suppose.

It's worth a shot over filing a claim first.

25. theuserjohnny macrumors 6502

Yeah I would at least inform whoever did this to you to let them know whats going on with your computer. I honestly think they should pay for the repair... it's kinda messed up if you ask me.