is this deal for real? or am i missing something

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by howauduin, Aug 6, 2010.

1. howauduin macrumors newbie

i want to buy a MacPro. i looked on the mac site and its very expensive but its reliable. I want to run protools with no problems and i want to run audio plug ins that wont run on my computer anymore.

so i came across this site and it looks ok so far, and its about $1000 cheaper. so let me know what you think, is this legit, is there something i dont see for why its so cheap. please help me out im new to macs but need them for the audio programs now and want to get very serious.

the link to the deal
    http://audioelectronicsplus.com/product_info.php?cPath=1_5&products_id=579914

2. -Ryan- macrumors 68000

I'm going to go with scam.

First, this is their corporate address listed on their website.. Doesn't look the nicest of areas to be running a high-end electronics company from.

Also, on the first page of Google results is this. Someone else asking the same question as you...yesterday. Seems like a fly-by-night to me.

3. eelhead01 macrumors member

Yeah I'm going with Ryan on this one, looks like a scam business if anything.
    You can't find any info on them but what Ryan looked up.

4. Vylen macrumors 65816

Of course you wouldn't.

A quick WHOIS says that the domain was created 22nd of July.

They haven't been around long.

Stay away from them I'd say - can't really trust a place that hasn't been around for long that's selling things for that cheap.

5. howauduin thread starter macrumors newbie

thats too bad, i dont wanna believe it but it really looks shady. plus the last sentences of their about us page ends with:

"Now, it's time to shopping! With AudioElectronicsPlus, online shopping will be easyer."

sooo i dont know what to think. ill wait on it. is there a site or store you would recommend besides the apple store for buying a quad or 8core with lots of ram. i think thats all id need to be really happy for computer heavy audio programs. anywhere i can buy a mac already upgraded is what im gettin at. unless its cheaper to upgrade after i purchase, but i dont know about that.

6. eelhead01 macrumors member

I had a friend of mine do that with a PS3 on some unknown business. They had a 120 GB PS3 listed for $80. and he went for it and lost his $80. because it was a scam site. :(

7. PenguinMac macrumors member

YOU know that "if it's too good be to be true, it's not" and THEY know that "there's a sucker born every minute". Somewhere between those extremes should be the normal person who knows the selling price of an item, and knows that no price out of whack with that is real. Yet people WANT to believe and WANT to send in their money because this great offer is just made for them. I guess that's what keeps email scammers in business - people just want to believe they won the lottery, even though the poor English and misspellings make it obvious it's a fraud.

8. philipma1957 macrumors 603

philipma1957

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/

they are real here is a cherried-out machine. problem is not cheap

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/613144-REG/Apple_Z0G1_0014_Mac_Pro_Desktop_Computer.html

9. MacSociology macrumors regular

The domain is far too new to be a established company.

The descriptions for the product is copied from other sellers like bhphotovideo.com.

The prices are far too low.

They claim to established in both Europe and USA. I can't find any records of this company in any european databases.

Payments only with Paypal.

As several people have claimed... this is a scam.

10. tbelkin macrumors newbie

AudioElectronicsPlus

I also wanted to buy a TV there. The operation is interesting where most of TV have high prices except for a few that are really low. I tried to purchase with PayPal, but it failed every time. I sent email to the company. Reply takes a day or two and usually at night. The person suggested that I use Western Union payment instead. By this time I am already concerned about this place. Then I read the details of Western Union payment from the company and read this:

Once payment has been sent, please send an email to this this address: payments@audioelectronicsplus.com, Including ALL the following information : Your 1st Name, Your 2nd Name, Money Transfer Control Number (MCTN), Your City and Country, Amount Sent and currency used, Order Number.

Looks too shady for me.:mad:

11. JesterJJZ macrumors 68020

JesterJJZ

12. Lava Lamp Freak macrumors 65816

I saw a similar scam on Amazon a few years ago. A marketplace seller had some digital cameras posted a few hundred dollars less than retail. Since it was a marketplace seller, and I was paying through Amazon, I decided to take the chance and see what happened. The next day I got an e-mail saying payment failed, even though it had actually gone through, and they would need me to use Western Union to complete the transaction. In this case it turned out that the actual seller's account had been hacked, so Amazon quickly refunded my money.

Obvious scam is obvious.

13. sochet macrumors regular

sochet

Call him up and ask if it's a scam! :p

Audio Electronics Plus Ltd.
    Address: 1439 Truman St
    City: San Fernando
    State: CA
    Zip: 91340
    Tel/Fax: (818) 698-8764

14. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

What do you mean you don't know what to think? It's obviously a scam so what's there to think? I hope you're not thinking of actually trying to buy something through this site? Fools and their money, eh?

15. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

The old adage still applies. I mean why even bother creating a thread. If its too good to be true then it is.

The cost of a MB535LL/A 8 core MP is over 3,000, how exactly could this company sell new octo-core Mac Pros for 1800 bucks? Its a scam