Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

m.x

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 12, 2014
Hey guys,
I know there have been threads dealing with a yellowish display, however, they were all about the 11 Pro.
With my 11 I immediately noticed how yellow the screen seemed to be and thought that this may be because True Tone is activated. I turned it off and noticed no difference. Should I return it? It is the first time for me that the color is so different. My iPad looks exactly like the 8 Plus. Has anybody had the same observation? Both phones were on maximum brightness and True Tone was deactivated when I took the picture.

Attachments

• 98678D47-F5AC-40DD-BE6F-88F457278E56.jpeg
    98678D47-F5AC-40DD-BE6F-88F457278E56.jpeg
    655.1 KB · Views: 1,402
Reactions: ActionFigures

Coffee_Time

Cancelled
Nov 22, 2017
Hey guys,
I know there have been threads dealing with a yellowish display, however, they were all about the 11 Pro.
With my 11 I immediately noticed how yellow the screen seemed to be and thought that this may be because True Tone is activated. I turned it off and noticed no difference. Should I return it? It is the first time for me that the color is so different. My iPad looks exactly like the 8 Plus. Has anybody had the same observation? Both phones were on maximum brightness and True Tone was deactivated when I took the picture.
There is nothing wrong with your display. No yellow tint.

igroeg

macrumors regular
Feb 22, 2019
oh we’re talking about non pro models. My bad.
And the one on the right as well.

@m.x - That looks pretty bad. Makes me not want to upgrade to the 11/11 Pro.. will have to see them in person once they arrive where I'm at. The color temp of my 7 Plus' display looks identical to your 8 Plus and I find it way better than this orangish 11.

Last edited:

The.Glorious.Son

macrumors 68000
Sep 28, 2015
Chicago, IL
Given those are both LCD displays, the 11 on the right does have a warmer colored screen. But, honestly that is probably easier on the eyes over time than the blue hues of the traditional LCD on the left. Preference does come into play, but I think the right is fine and that you would get used to it.

VSMacOne

macrumors 603
Oct 18, 2008
For sure get it replaced. Here we go again with the yellow displays.. I was really hoping they would’ve nailed it by now and stopped this from happening. That’s the only thing I’m nervous about when it comes to the new phones every year!

Reactions: Tikatika

Packers1958

macrumors 68000
Apr 16, 2017
South Dakota
The one on the right is more accurate. The phone on the left looks really bad with a red tinge and the white is way too blue. The 11 looks like it has a more accurate D65 color temperature.

Reactions: chabig

Mabus51

Suspended
Aug 16, 2007
Every year same topic. Yes it will be yellow-ish for a few days. But it does go away. Some have said it’s the bonding to the glass, some have claimed it’s a conspiracy, some believe in aliens. However ignore it, if it so happens to not be gone on the last day of your return period, return it. In most cases it will go away.

KRG

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2015
Orange County, CA
Looks fine to me. Warmer displays are actually much more pleasant once you're used to the change. The blueish tint of the older LCDs looks like trash to me now when I compare to my XS Max. Maybe they skewed the 11 lcd display warmer to more closely match the oleds in the pro.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.