Is this eBay listing a scam?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Gary500, Jun 3, 2014.

1. mad3inch1na macrumors 6502a

2. Gary500 thread starter macrumors regular

Gary500

Okay, so would it be wrong to buy it then? Even if it is stolen?

3. mad3inch1na macrumors 6502a

There are not any direct repercussions as far as I know. Is it moral to support a thief? Up to you. There is still the potential that it is a scam. If you really want to buy it, make sure 100% that the seller will not take your money for nothing.

Matt

4. oldhifi macrumors 6502a

oldhifi

save your money, don't do it!

buy from Apple refurbished..

5. woodywoodz Suspended

woodywoodz

for insurance, I do not think you should buy it.

6. mad3inch1na macrumors 6502a

I've read that as long as you can prove that you bought the stolen laptop legitimately, even if the seller obtained it illegitimately, Apple will cover it. Not from first hand experience though, so take it with a grain of salt.

Matt

7. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

If the police come to recover the property, don't expect compensation or a refund.

8. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

the item wasn't even in the USA......you'd send your money and nothing would ever show up. You go to the police and they'll tell you that since the seller is in another country, there's nothing they can do

9. firedept macrumors 603

firedept

Everything about that listing screamed scam. Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic, seller with absolutely no feedback and the price is to good to be true. Do I need to add more things wrong?

10. Apple fanboy macrumors Core

Apple fanboy

If you have to ask if its too good to be true, then it probably is.

11. Poncho macrumors 6502

Poncho

See that it's sold. Tell us what happened. Scam if you ask me.

12. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

If the seller stole it, it's not your property. You are handling stolen goods. The real owner can come at any time and demand his laptop back if he finds you.

Depending on your location, it will vary how criminal buying stolen goods is. Usually if you know, or you should have known, that it is stolen, it is criminal (handling stolen goods). In the USA, if you believe it is stolen and buy it because you think you get it cheap because it is stolen, it is a crime even if it turns out to be legal (attempt of buying stolen goods).

And see above. If the police thinks you tried to buy stolen goods, they could even charge you.

13. deeddawg macrumors 604

There's lots of legitimate stuff on ebay. Still, the moment the words "I wonder if this is a scam" enter your thoughts, walk away.

Scammers and con artists thrive on people's greed overriding their common sense.

(and shame on you for even considering rewarding a thief by buying stolen property; you must have never had something valuable stolen from you)

14. LostSoul80 macrumors 68020

LostSoul80

OP, don't expect anyone to justify your eventual choice. There obviously is something wrong with the listing.

15. Orr macrumors 6502

Orr

It's logic like this that makes me want to live on a different planet.