Is This Good Battery Life?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by DaGreat01, Jul 24, 2009.

1. DaGreat01 macrumors 6502a

DaGreat01

I dont know what the battery percentage is since i am on a 3G, but the 2% warning did come up already. And as most of us 3G users know, the 10% warning doesnt always come up. (well for me it doesnt). So it is possible that it is below 10% here.

But my question is, is this good battery life. I think its safe to say that those 3 Hours and 47 min have been of strait safari use. So i dont really know if this is great or just average or just bad.

Attached Files:

2. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

3. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Do this before questioning your battery life. Also, if your phone is new it takes a couple of charge cycles before your battery runs it best.

4. Roofy. macrumors 6502a

I get 3-4 hours battery life out of my 3G S. standby is usually 8 hours to over a day.

I dont know if thats good/average/poor nor do I really care. As long as it lasts a whole day which it does.

5. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

Well, since Apple states the iPhone has 5 hours of battery life on 3G and the OP said the whole usage was Safari on 3G it seems pretty normal to me...

6. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Looking at your cellular network data; is it possible that you've been tethering as well or maybe JB with some background stuff going on? I've never seen that much date being sent/received and I've been tethering and running JB w/backgrounder since June....:eek::eek::eek:

7. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

Streaming apps consume a lot of data.

8. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

Wow, i didn't notice that. 4.1GB received over 3G? That's a lot!

9. DaGreat01 thread starter macrumors 6502a

DaGreat01

OK OK everyone just relax. I have only tethered like once and it was for like 30 min, so no, it's not from tetering. I got my phone in JANUARY so I think 4GB is a little low for 7 months!

But ANYWAYS, by what anjinhamarota said, I guess this is close to the 5 hours apple says. Man that sucks! :(

10. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

11. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

That's not great, but you can't really tell whether you have good battery life from one days use. You also need to run several tests with different applications like the Apple battery tests. I wouldn't say it's terrible though. For example, I have 45% after 2.5 hours on safari. That's pretty much the best you can expect from a 3G battery.

edit:
    This was a good link, but I disagree with what they said for how to check for a defective battery. I thought it was interesting how they said it was better to be on 3G than Edge for surfing to conserve battery life. They had some other good tips as well.

12. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

It's not terrible considering all the usage is from surfing the web on 3G. Apple states that the iPhone's battery lasts 5 hours on 3G, this seems pretty close to that.

13. DaGreat01 thread starter macrumors 6502a

DaGreat01

Yea i guess that goes right with what apple said...

I just realized how bad the battery was. But i dont really care THAT much since im near a charger most of the time.

14. DaGreat01 thread starter macrumors 6502a

DaGreat01

REALLY good tips and info in there! Thanks!

15. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

It's not bad, it depends on what usage you have. My iPhone lasts me at least 1 day and a half, but I'm not surfing the web on 3G for 4 hours.

16. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

My neighbor was having similar issues with his iPhone and he took it in for a replacement with no questions asked......:(

17. DaGreat01 thread starter macrumors 6502a

DaGreat01

I wish I could get it replaced, but is saying that my battery died after a few hours of non stop safari a good call?

18. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

I would say yes; couldn't hurt to stop-by and have them look at it with their diagnostics MBP. Keep us posted.....

19. DaGreat01 thread starter macrumors 6502a

DaGreat01

Alrigh. I'll go see when I can book a spot at the genius bar. I wouldn't mind getting a new phone since as I mentioned in another thread, my 3G keeps going out. I also have a nice cm long scratch on my screen and a screen leak. Oh and a nice inch long scratch on the back and a messed up bezel both from my incase slider.

20. Sledutah macrumors regular

Mine shows almost 1GB received and I'm using wireless at home. Usage since June 19th (1 month and 6 days)

21. gforce216 macrumors 6502a

I've received 8 GB of data since last July lol. I guess I do stream a ton of videos though.

22. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

You can go to the genius bar all you want, you will not get better battery than that while surfing on 3G. It's not an iPhone thing, it's a 3G thing. Other 3G phones have similar battery life while web browsing.

23. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Yeah, but what did you think about the link that was posted below? They were essentially saying it was better for the battery to surf on 3G:

24. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

Well, 3G does drain the battery faster than Edge. But since 3G is considerably faster it's possible that you'll manage to browse through more content on 3G than on Edge on the same charge.

25. DaGreat01 thread starter macrumors 6502a

DaGreat01

I can see why they might think that. The phone would take FOREVER to open these forums if I was on Edge, then making the phone connect to the network for longer, which would then mean the phone would be on for longer, thus using more bettery.