Is This Laptop Good For A Speed Freak?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by itzjohnny, Jul 12, 2009.

1. itzjohnny macrumors newbie

Just as the title states, I am a speed freak when it comes to computers. I cannot stand slow and/or laggy computers. I am planning on buying a Macbook Pro 17" for when the school year starts (university). I have already given lots of thoughts into choosing which specs to have for the laptop. They are as follow:

-3.06GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    -4GB 1066MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 2X2GB
    -500GB Serial ATA Drive @ 5400 rpm
    -SuperDrive 8x
    -Antiglare Display
    -iWorks '09 Preinstalled
    -AppleCare
    -Mac OS X Snow Leopard [When it gets released later this year]

This comes to a total of approximately $2,900 without any accessories and tax.

I have also planned on getting an Intel X-25M SSD 160GB for approximately $650~700. Probably will aim for a 320GB one when it gets released later this year. I do not know the price for the 320GB one, but I know for sure it will not be a pretty sight.

Okay, I know what you are all thinking.

Why spend so much? You can get something equivalent for a cheaper price.
    -My budget is about $4,000 on this laptop PLUS the SSD. The reasons for the specs is because like I said, I am a speed freak. I will not likely be pushing this laptop to its near limits. I will be using this for college(paper work, presentations, etc.) and everyday home use(web browsing, chatting, watching shows, etc.) Maybe some gaming once in a while too. I am planning on ditching my desktop so I will be using this laptop daily, hopefully for many years to come. And concerning the SSD, I do not plan on getting an external hard drive for the extra GB. I would prefer to stick to an internal SSD with more GB, even though it's pricey.

I know this is probably overkill for many of you.

So, my question to you guys is:
    Do you think I should stick with these specs?
    If not, what specs do you suggest I change them to in order to fit the description I provided above?

Like I stated above, I plan on using this laptop for a LONG LONG time. So I would like to make the most of it. I do not want to buy another laptop anytime soon after I've purchased this one and I do not want to encounter any speed issues.

Thank you for your time! ^^;

2. MacMini2009 macrumors 68000

MacMini2009

I think those specs are fine because you plan on keeping it for a long time. The SSD and Snow Leopard will definitely make your Macbook Pro feel faster.

3. DAMNiatx macrumors 6502a

DAMNiatx

4. MacMini2009 macrumors 68000

MacMini2009

-1, If he is hard core gamer, then yes he should get the Alienware, but the Macbook Pro he specified is fine for his needs.

5. DAMNiatx macrumors 6502a

DAMNiatx

he said "speed freak".

6. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

And the MacBook Pro would run EVERYTHING faster, except games.

7. toxictrix macrumors 6502a

Only Alienware if he is a big gamer. If not, damn that is a nice macbook pro. It will be anything but slow..

8. DAMNiatx macrumors 6502a

DAMNiatx

no, sorry alienware still faster.

9. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Proof, please. Alienware makes their computers specifically for games.

10. itzjohnny thread starter macrumors newbie

I will not be into gaming all that much. Maybe just light gaming here and there. No more intense gaming. I have quit that kind of gaming recently and do not have any intentions of going back. I think it'd be a bit awkward carrying an high performance alienware to classes everyday too. Thanks for all your replies so far. Much appreciated.

11. DAMNiatx macrumors 6502a

DAMNiatx

hahaha,

just see this spec
    http://yit.me/wkybc3

with standar configuration it will easily beat macbookpro

12. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Get the MacBook Pro and don't look back.

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA.

You expect me to agree with you... when your only evidence is the Alienware page itself where it "looks really fast" and all that you have to say is "with that configuration it could easily beat the MacBook Pro" with ABSOLUTELY NO EVIDENCE to back you up?

Keep dreaming, kid.

13. jkimbro0316 macrumors regular

Maybe you could just go with a 7,200 rpm hard drive instead of an SSD? It's a little costly still for an SSD that doesn't have as much capacity as a traditional hard drive. I guess it's just a matter if you want to trade off capacity and cost for better performance or what not. Just my opinions though.

14. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

Why? So this sp33d fr3@k can sit around and twittle his thumbs while the world passes him by? I don't think so :D

OP, since you have cash to burn (a good thing when considering Apple anything) , ditch the x25-m. Take out the superdrive and put it in an external enclosure. Replace that with the 500 gb 5200 rpm drive (or any other 7200 rpm drive) for media, then get the x25-E 64Gb.

If you want extreme extreme outrageousness, take out the superdrive as stated earlier, but get two x25-m's or x25-e's in a raid 0 config with a decent backup schema.

15. DAMNiatx macrumors 6502a

DAMNiatx

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA...

YOU REALLY PROUD ABOUT YOUR MACBOOK PRO.

16. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

No, since I don't have a unibody.

Though YOU DO. Might I ask why you bought it over your vaunted Alienware that you can't even back up your argument for?

17. bbadalucco macrumors 6502

Alienware could definitely smoke a MBP in speed, but if you keep the price of each unit the same (about $2800 for the MBP he mentioned) it would be very close....i'd stay with teh MBP for the size/look.

18. DaSal macrumors regular

The standard config is:

Windows Vista Home Premium (64 bit) + Windows 7 Home Premium Upgrade Coupon
    Intel® Core™2 Duo P8600 2.4GHz (3MB Cache, 1066MHz FSB)
    Single NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 260M, 1GB
    17-inch WideXGA+ 1440x900 (900p)
    4GB Dual Channel DDR3 at 1066MHz
    250GB 7,200RPM w/ Free Fall Protection

==

The only way it beats the MB Pro is the GPU. The processor is slower, the monitor lower-resolution, ram should be the same, and the MB Pro HD can easily be upgraded to the same 250GB 7,200RPM one, or a larger 500GB one.

Not to mention that Windows in general is much slower. (Not counting XP, just Vista, and to a lesser degree Win7)

19. itzjohnny thread starter macrumors newbie

I have no interest in getting an Alienware laptop. That is why I posted in the Macbook Pro section.

Get the MBP with the specs & SSD I mentioned? Or with weaker/better specs?

And I will not be running 2 SSD's in RAID 0 in the near future. That might come later on when I decide to push the MBP to its limit.

20. MacMini2009 macrumors 68000

MacMini2009

Get the MBP with a SSD.

21. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Mate,

For what you provided, (browsing, school work, chatting, movies) even a Macbook Pro 13'' 2.53ghz model would be just nearly as fast as that configuration you pointed out. Your not doing much processor intensive (according to the description you provided) so the performance would be similar. If you were doing some more professional work like hard core movie editing, 3D graphic intensive programs, or processor intensive programs, then it makes sense to go with those specs. But for what your doing, I would say the 15'' macbook pro would be as fast as those specs as you pointed out.

You might be better off saving the money, if all your going to do is
    But its your money, you spend how you wish.

22. vant macrumors 65816

Spend half the $4k and upgrade more frequently.

The 17" MBP is going to be slow next to anything in 3 years.

23. MacMini2009 macrumors 68000

MacMini2009

It may be slow in 3 years compared to computers in those days, but it will last way longer than most windows computers today.

24. Disavowed macrumors regular

Disavowed

That is the cheesiest computer I have ever seen! I think I threw up a little in my mouth while on their website. Also, the nickel and dime you to death while configuring. No thanks...

25. xlii macrumors 68000

xlii

That monster is 2" thick! It's starting weight is 11+ pounds. About 2 times the weight of the 17" mbp. What is it like to type on that thing. I took a look at the specs... not impressed. I would go for a 17" mbp over that thing any day. If high end games are the primary usage... get a desktop machine instead. How hot would that alienware laptop get with it's maxed out graphic cards in an sli configuration?