Is this MBP good enough for me to buy?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by XTRanger, Jun 17, 2008.

1. XTRanger macrumors member

I just purchased a blackbook and I am happy with it! I am also looking for a MBP and i have a friend who wants to sell me his macbook pro. Here are the speicifications as he laid out:

ram: 4GB
    hard drive: 160GB
    processor: intel core 2 duo, 2.4GHz santa rosa based.
    video processor: nvidia 8600m GT
    video ram: 256mb
    operating sys: mac os 10.5.3
    disc drive: 8x superdrive DL
    applecare until 2010

i've looked at the machine and it visually looks very clean- not a single scratch.

he is asking for $1200. But my concern is that its an obsolete machine, over a year old. and i've looked around and seen new laptops selling for a lot less than what he is asking.

So what do you guys think about it- should I buy it? Or am i better off getting a refurb at the apple store?

2. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

That computer is 1 year old. It's not obsolete. That is a fair price for sure, maybe even under what he could get.

3. tsice19 macrumors 6502a

tsice19

What? That's still one hell of a machine.

And 1200 is a bargain. A base MacBook is 1100.

4. Wotan31 macrumors 6502

Your buddy is giving you a helluva deal there; that exact same machine sells used on ebay for $1600+. That notebook is *far* from obsolete - barely a year old, it will run all the latest OS X software quite nicely indeed. In fact, the only thing different between it and the newest MB is the slight difference in CPU.

5. steeler macrumors regular

That's a great deal. I have the same MBP specs and it works just fine for everything I need -- including some video editing and digital photography editing.

It's not obsolete. In the Windows PC world, a year is about 1/2 a computer lifetime, but in the Mac world, a year is young.

6. tsice19 macrumors 6502a

tsice19

And if I'm not mistaken, isn't the difference in CPU almost humanly impossible to notice?

7. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

:eek::eek::eek:

i cant believe you just called my machine obsolete...

i think it might cry now

the only reason i havent bought a new one is because the current models are almost no faster than this one

8. raymondu999 macrumors 65816

That machine right there, is still one of the top 5 fastest MBPs around. Ranks in number 4 or 5, I daresay.

9. XTRanger thread starter macrumors member

lol well you have a 320gb hard drive which works out great... the computer in question only has 160gb!

10. Eric. macrumors regular

...which can be upgraded for a whopping $130 or so.

Another difference may be only 128MB of VRAM, but I'm not 100% sure when the memory on that was boosted. Was that simultaneous with Penryns?

11. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Are you looking for someone to tell you it's a bad idea? The computer has dedicated video, even with exact same everything except the video card the difference is going to be huge...and you can barely get a one year old Blackbooks for that much....

12. XTRanger thread starter macrumors member

one important factor that is the computer is running on santa rosa, whereas the current ones run penryn. And based on what ive been reading here, it seems that penryn is a lot better processor than the SR....

based on the replies, it seems that my buddy is not ripping me off, and seems like a decently specd machine...

I'll be honest here, im a total dumbass when it comes to mbp- ive never looked into them, but i'd def. like to get one- just trying to make sure that i get a good one that will last me for at least a year. When i asked him how old the laptop is, he replied that its one year... and tht set off the alarm. laptops usually start to wear out within 9 months!

13. Watabou macrumors 68040

Watabou

The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 1 characters. :p

14. Dmac77 macrumors 68020

Dmac77

Santa Rosa = Chipset

Penryn = Processor

For that price your buddy is getting ripped off. And I am still running a 7 year old ibook g3, and it is still a fast little sucker! Macs don't get worn out after a year.

Don

15. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

It's a great deal, and you are a fool to not get it. So it's SR, oh no...it runs hotter, that is basically the only downside. At least a year, for sure. I plan on upgrading in 2 more, but my MBP would last a lot longer than that.

16. XTRanger thread starter macrumors member

well i just caved in and got his mbp for 1200... he also gave me an Apple wireless keyboard (again- the obsolete style).

So far the machine does look good and is running well, but hot. Lets hope it works out fine for me.

17. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

The obsolete style? Who the hell hates the old plastic ones?! They are way better than the mushy new Al ones.

No offense, but you have no idea what obsolete means.

18. shmutheprophet macrumors regular

I love how you talk about the machine like its 5 years old. ROFL. It's more than fine and I guarantee its more powerful than your blackbook.

19. cluthz macrumors 68040

cluthz

The '07 2.4GHz is actually faster in some tasks than the new '08 Penryn 2.4GHz due to more L2 cache .

I still use my 2.2GHz Santa Rosa and I will use it for atleast one more generation I guess, since I really can't feel the difference between mine and the new ones.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here for the full test between the '07 2.4 vs '08 2.4 and 2.6
    http://barefeats.com/mbpp01.html

20. wineandcarbs macrumors 6502a

That's a steal! Great deal. lol, that "obsolete" computer would probably be more than powerful enough for my needs for at least the next several years. :D

21. MattZani macrumors 68030

MattZani

That version is slightly better than the base penryn, in the way that it has more L2 Cache, but its essentially the same, so really you got a hell of a deal!

22. teohyc macrumors regular

teohyc

23. brodeur macrumors newbie

obsolete |ˌäbsəˈlēt|
    adjective
    1 no longer produced or used; out of date

sounds like the right word to me.

24. shmutheprophet macrumors regular

No longer produced sure,

but it's COMMONLY used, and nowhere close to being out of date.

25. thechidz macrumors 68000

thechidz

you bought that for 1200??? Dude you got ripped off. The new penryn are so much better. But dont worry. I'll tell you what sell it to me for 1200 shipped and I'll save you from your bad purchase ok? Then you can get a penryn. Just pm me your paypal info and I'll get the payment to you straight away. Dont worry buddy, we'll get through this together:p