Is this normal? [brushed silver wearing off too fast]

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by BlueMoon63, Jul 9, 2015.

1. BlueMoon63 macrumors 68000

I called Apple Support about my 42mm SS Silver Link Bracelet saying that the brushed silver was wearing off too fast since I had only worn the watch 4-5 times and at least 4 of the links and the clasp has very noticeable wear on them. I sent them some pictures and they agreed (as if there saw this many times). They sent me a replacement yesterday via FedEx overnight and it comes today. The repair says I do not need to send back the old one.

Is that normal? Even though the old one seems to wear a little too fast, the link cost $449 and they are letting me keep it?

2. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

How can the stainless wear off?

Pictures?

What is worth $449 to use is not worth shipping back to Apple.

3. BlueMoon63 thread starter macrumors 68000

Maybe I am not saying it right - here is a pic. I can actually use my finger nail and rub more off. So, if I bought an iPhone for about $500 from Apple and the paint was wearing off and Apple sends me a new one, you think they would let me keep the other iPhone? I just thought it was odd that they don't want it back. It still looks good.

Attached Files:

• link.jpg
      link.jpg
      File size:
      104.3 KB
      Views:
  4. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

OK. That is the SpaceBlack that is wearing off of your SB link bracelet.

5. BlueMoon63 thread starter macrumors 68000

No, this is the silver link bracelet for the SS Watch :) My guess is that I could sell the old one on EBay and still get at least $200 - don't you think? Def worth keeping for parts I suppose?

6. jwball macrumors regular

7. BlueMoon63 thread starter macrumors 68000

We got off topic fast. :) Is it normal for Apple to let you keep a $450 product and still send you a brand new one even when the problem is just some wear that seems too fast?

8. rowdt1 macrumors regular

Not quite.. Normally they'd ask you to send it back. But if they tell you it's OK to keep it then go ahead. I'd be a little cautious, though, if I were you. If you're not short on money then I'd advice to wait for a couple of weeks before selling it. Might just happen that Apple contacts you again.

9. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

They allowed me to keep my black sports band after my original started peeling. But that's $49 bs $449.

10. Newtons Apple, Jul 9, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2015

Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

Looks like heavy wear to me and if so your new band will suffer the same fate very quickly.

11. CellXor10 macrumors regular

Keep in mind though, that your analogy to an iPhone is very off based. If "paint" were wearing off an iPhone, it's still an iPhone. Meaning you send it back and they could replace part of the shell for hardly any $$ and it's worth the same price tag. A band is just a band. You could argue that they could have you return it and reapply or whatever the coating, but I'm guessing Apple knows whether it's worth it or not. Point being, there's a lot more value in an iPhone (than looks).

12. BlueMoon63 thread starter macrumors 68000

Very good point and I will.

13. BlueMoon63 thread starter macrumors 68000

Oh I know. Was struggling to find the best analogy. Was a little surprised they didn't want it back. Someone could forge pictures and get a brand new link band and sell it for $400 or more. Sadly, people are that shady unfortunately.

14. jabingla2810 macrumors 68020

I assume when you say 'silver' you mean the colour. The band is Stainless Steel.

Do you spend a lot of time sat at a desk? The wear on your watch bracelet suggests you spend a lot of time resting your arms/wrists on a table.

I predict the new one will look exactly like this in a few weeks.

15. BlueMoon63 thread starter macrumors 68000

Yes, the stainless steel link band. Was trying to describe what was rubbing off. I have only worn the band four or five times and work from home so the band rests on a padded rest. I do believe it is from resting on something but I was surprised at how easy it comes off. I can use my fingernail to rub off more. Apple thought it was a fault but I believe you are right with the new one.

16. iNoetic macrumors newbie

And do what, exactly? Ask him to return the band? And what will Apple do if he refuses? Nothing.
    Go ahead and sell it man. If Apple has explicitly stated you can keep the old band, there is absolutely nothing they can do. You are not on a contract with Apple and have no obligations.

17. rowdt1 macrumors regular

Wow man, didn't intend to make you mad or anything. I'm just saying I'd be a little cautious but to each their own right? They can state so verbally but I'd much rather have it written to me via email or somerhing..

18. iNoetic macrumors newbie

Oh, you didn't make me mad. Apologies if I came off as agitated. And you're right about the written confirmation. I was under the impression that TC did have a written confirmation to go ahead and keep the old band.

19. LewisChapman macrumors 6502a

LewisChapman

Is nobody else absolutely shocked at what has happened to this band? What were you doing with this band? I have the same bracelet and this I'm surprised it could get to this state.

IMO either they let you keep it and this essentially labels the band as being completely overpriced and to Apple; worth nothing OR they will ask you to return it in a couple weeks time when they realised they haven't asked for it back.

Please keep us posted in this thread in a couple weeks I am definitely interested in the result of this.

20. BlueMoon63 thread starter macrumors 68000

Wish I could tell you what I did and what could have been the reason. It looks like simple rubbing but no scratches that would represent a hard surface. When I first saw it, I took off three links and replaced with three I had left over and it did it again with the new ones in one day and I work from home. If I workout or golf or swim, I use the sport band.

The person on the phone said she didn't think they would want it back after first saying the would send a box. Then she said no return is necessary and th support ticket said "no return required" and now the ticket is closed. When I uploaded pictures to them, they said "wow, that seems strange" and put me on hold and asked for higher resolution. I uploaded and they immediately said they would send a new one overnight.

At this point I am still using the old one and may just sell the new one because this concerns me. I could sell the old one since I don't really have links left without the problem and get $200 maybe or sell the new one and get $425 or more. I really like this band though.

21. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

It makes no sense to become alarmed and sell the replacement link bracelet if it's an isolated case of manufacturing defect.

22. jschu22 macrumors regular

I'm surprised they didn't ask for it back but if they didn't then, I doubt they will in the future. You lucked out.

Now as far as the actual issue- There's nothing to "wear off" un-coated metal so this is just wear and tear, and lots of it. Seriously no offense meant but either you're hiding something or completely oblivious of some basic day to day motions your arm is making.

23. BlueMoon63 thread starter macrumors 68000

:) definitely not hiding anything and I can rub more off with my fingernail - whether that is actually rubbing something off, I don't know. Believe me, this wasn't me forgetting what I did or hiding anything. It appears as if it is simply defective. Hope no one else has this issue.

Probably a dead issue at this point and I will most likely use the new band and keep the old one.

24. mcdj macrumors G3

mcdj

The whole "rubbing off" thing makes zero sense. It's a stainless steel bracelet, which you seem to be very rough on. When you scrape it with your fingernail, what is under your nail?

25. BlueMoon63 thread starter macrumors 68000

I wish I could tell you something that would make sense. I've only worn the link band 4-5 times and I am certain it has to be a defect and not me being rough on the band. I don't recall if I had anything under my fingernail but I wasn't looking for anything. I am sure I am saying it wrong about rubbing off... as you can see from the pictures, it looks like a different color as if it is major scratches but you can't feel anything and it looks more like rubbed off because I could extend the worn section scratching with my fingernail. So, if it isn't rubbing off, I am scratching it with my fingernail.

I guess this really got off topic. I was surprised that Apple didn't want the band back and it was a 5 minute call and they put me on hold and came back saying they were sending me a new one. At first they talked about sending a box and when they came back online they said that I didn't need to return the band. I said "really?" and she said yes. Plus the ticket said - no return required. As if they knew of a defect on some and knew it wasn't worth sending back.

I don't know, not worth figuring out and if the new band does the same thing, it is my fault but I have two other stainless steel bands for my Seiko Watches that I have used for years and they show no wear other than super minor scratches.