Is this normal (iPod Touch 2G)

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Sammio2, Dec 9, 2008.

1. Sammio2 macrumors regular

Sammio2

Okay, So first i'll start by saying I have no personal vendetta against Apple. I just think this is unreasonable...

I recently purchased an iPod Touch 16GB 2nd Gen from Apple UK Online Store, received the ipod and started to use it. Everything seemed fine until i looked a little closer and noticed a stuck pixel, right in the middle of the screen. Initially this didn't bother me, but i kept seeing the pixel as i was using the device, and decided that in fact, for £180 i should have an iPod with a good screen. (I tried all the pixel fixing tools, etc).

Anyway, i phoned up Apple, they were helpful and replaced my iPod. So i am eagerly awaiting the arrival of my second iPod Touch. It comes, i open the box, power it up, only to find 2 dead pixels...

Again, i got straight onto the phone to Apple, who were less helpful and seemed to treat me as if i was lying about the dead pixels. Eventually a few days later, the complaint had reached their 'escalated RMA department' and another replacement was issued...

So I'm on my third iPod touch, guess what, another dead pixel! So i get straight back to the same Apple Rep who i've spoken to about the previous iPods. She spoke to her supervisor, who said to issue me a refund and told me to go and buy one from a store (where i could check the screen first).

Now, I live miles away from an Apple store, seriously, it would be like a 2 hour drive. Are Apple honestly telling me that I cannot buy an iPod touch from THEIR online store that has a fault free display?

I just wondered if anyone else has been this unlucky?

I'll let you know what happens as a result of my latest complaint to Apple, (Hopefully they will be able to redeem themselves)

Cheers
    Sam

2. ThunderBull4 macrumors 6502

Woah mate sounds like you've had your share of faulty iPods lol. I didn't buy mine online I got it from the Apple store so I guess that's why mine is fine lol. But damn, 3 faulty iPod Touch's in a row??? You should go out and buy a lottery ticket because that's crazy odds.

3. Socorso macrumors member

purchased online

I purchased my iPod Touch 2G from the Apple website and it is perfect. No dead pixels...

4. Mr Skills macrumors 6502a

Mr Skills

Why not buy it from a different store?

5. Sammio2 thread starter macrumors regular

Sammio2

Well, i guess i could. But i live in a small village away from any towns so it would still be quite a trek. I'm not saying that its an impossibility, i just find it unbelievable that Apple basically said they can't send me a fault free iPod touch from their own online store!

Sam

6. Sammio2 thread starter macrumors regular

Sammio2

Has no one else, out of 200 people had dead pixel issues with their iPods?

Sam

7. surflordca macrumors 6502a

surflordca

Notme :D

8. insanityq macrumors newbie

You are so unlucky.... Mine didn't.

9. 13thReaper macrumors newbie

I feel you on tht i purchased my ipod 2g from circuit city and found 3 stuck pixels! I took it bak got a new one and it had 1 stuck pixel and 1 dead pixel! Ugh! Took it bak again got a new one and found 1 stuck pixel but after a couple days of use it went away and now im pixel perfect! It was pissing me off tho tht something i paid $300 for would have a faulty screen

10. WheatiesXD macrumors newbie

I'm right there with you. I had a 1st gen ipod touch and something happened where it got really slow and would take forever to restart even after i had it restored and whatnot. Anyways, I took it down to the apple store at a mall about an hour away from where I live and they pretty much just asked me a few questions and gave me a new ipod touch. I got home, charged it, put my music on it, all that stuff. Then I noticed I had a broken pixel in the far bottom left corner. It's not in the middle of the screen or anything so I just let the subject go. It doesn't bother me one bit to be honest...

11. Mason1 macrumors member

Go to Youtube and search "Stuck Pixel Fixer" and play that video on your ipod ( may need to be done A few times).

Maybe you should play it and dont watch it :)

here is what you want

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VaTTjJncONI

12. 99MustangGTman macrumors 6502

13. IpodmaX macrumors newbie

well if u dont want to drive 2 hours you could buy from an online store (amazon, ebay, etc) or keep trying to fix that dead pixel

14. iRyann macrumors regular

iRyann

15. andybno1 macrumors 68040

andybno1

16. kockgunner macrumors 68000

kockgunner

My first gen had like 50 hot pixels--very tiny stuck subpixels and a couple dead pixels, but I'm relaly impressed with the flawless screen on my 2G. Sorry about your experience, but Apple really can't open up all the iPods and find an iPod without a dead pixel for you. Three in a row is really bad though.

17. zero.fx macrumors member

i think by law it is exceptable in the uk i think that electronic device may have 1 or 2 dead pixels and retailers have the right to not refund. i m not sure if this is 100% true tho.

anyways i think you have been very unlucky too. i love my ipod touch:D

18. Sammio2 thread starter macrumors regular

Sammio2

Thanks All...

Hey guys,

Thank you all for your responses. I'm glad to see that only a few people have had the same problems, wouldn't wish it on anyone. Anyway i'm just posting to tell you that after 4 replacements, i have a working iPod Touch, with NO DEAD PIXELS!!!

Also, sorry for posting this in the wrong forum, I only just realised that there is a normal iPod Touch forum, not only a hacks forum!

I just wonder if Apple will think to do anything about the month they've had my money and i've had nothing?!

Anyway,
    Thanks Again
    Sam

19. atticus18244fsa macrumors 6502

atticus18244fsa

Anything with an lcd is bound to have at least 1 dead pixel

20. Sr. Panza macrumors newbie

Sr. Panza

I have one dead pixel but I lose it now and then. I was starting to trip out as well when I first spotted it but can't see it unless I really LOOK for it. I guess it's just really not that big of a problem.

21. RKO macrumors 6502

RKO

I ordered mine through the online Apple store and it had a few dead pixels. Apple promised that they would make sure the replacement had no dead pixels and that it would be physically checked by someone. Btw I spoke to tech help rather than a general inquiry.

When the replacement arrived it was switched on already so I presume that someone looked at it before it was sent on.

22. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

What use would that have against dead/stuck pixels?

It's not like Apple goes through and tests every single unit and hoards the affected ones :p

To the OP: You've just had a string of bad luck. Honestly, dead/stuck pixels isn't limited to just Apple products, I think that most of the time people complain about them because there isn't any other "problem" with their device to bitch about (and humans absolutely love bitching :p).

Any device with any sort of LCD display will have some units with pixels that are dead or stuck, be it an iPod, a computer or a television.

23. quick5pnt0 macrumors regular

Call Apple back and ask them where you can go to try out an Ipod before you buy it because in my experience no stores will allow you to open up the case, pull it out, and start it before buying. Apple is giving you the run around.

24. Sammio2 thread starter macrumors regular

Sammio2

Hey everyone, Like i said thanks for all your responses.

Apple have now sent me an iPod with no dead pixels. I am aware of the reasons behind dead pixels, and like i said, have no problem with Apple. I was just wondering if other people had similar issues on a recurring basis like mine. Anyway, to set the record straight, Apple have not only sorted out an iPod with a great screen for me, they have also given me a free screen protector and iPod dock as a gesture of goodwill!

This is something not many other companies would do, so whilst they may not have got it right the first time (not necessarily their fault), they have certainly put things right!

So once again, thank you for all your replies!
    Sam

25. pismodude2 macrumors 6502a

pismodude2

Both my first and second gen have many stuck pixels. Every one at my local Apple stores have at least one :eek:. They aren't actually 'stuck,' they just look white when they are supposed to display darker colors :mad:. They still change when they are supposed to be red, yellow, green, ect. ;)

It's really weird, but as long as you have your brightness down you won't see them.