Is this normal on the iMac 27" small dot on bottom left and right corner

Discussion in 'iMac' started by bobright, Dec 15, 2012.

1. bobright macrumors 601

Is it a dead pixel or is it that way just because its the corner of the screen?

It isn't even as bad as the photo makes it out to be cant even notice it really--but I was testing for light bleed with an all black jpg when I noticed it. I would hate to take it back as its great good blacks, no yellow or scuffs etc but if it isn't supposed to be this way ill return it.

Attached Files:

2. WrrN macrumors regular

WrrN

Is it the 2 dots right next to each other somewhat away from the corner, or ??
    It's kind of like looking at a UFO image, where you can't tell what you're really looking at.

3. Nandifix macrumors 6502

Test for dead pixels with an all white image if it's still there then it's dead.

4. bobright thread starter macrumors 601

yea pretty much its not noticeable at all on a normal scree, even with a black jpg it is barely noticeable not even really unless youre looking for it. can somebody check if theirs has this???

----------

They are white dots though wouldnt they not show on a white screen?

5. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

6. bflowers macrumors 6502a

Is it visible in other situations? Such as watching a movie in full screen? Anything that you might normally do where this would be noticeable other than setting the screen to all Black?

7. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

I definitely appreciate the desire for everything to be absolutely perfect on a machine you just shelled out big $$$ for, but if you can't even notice it without looking hard you might consider trying to forget about it.

On the other hand if it will bother you endlessly or it is truly distracting, try exchanging it.

8. bobright thread starter macrumors 601

Bah it'll bother me for sure, shelled out about 2700 for this thing expect it to have a uniform picture without dead pixels from the box. It looks like im going to have to exchange it. **** man:mad:

9. WrrN macrumors regular

WrrN

An idea - Wait a couple months for inventory levels to rise, then call it in defective. Unless of course you don't want to set it all up and then have to repeat the process.
    Bummer.

10. bobright thread starter macrumors 601

Nah don't want any hassle the longer it goes this thing is goin back to apple tomorrow.

11. Nandifix macrumors 6502

Can't you ask them for a replacement and keep this one until you receive the new one?

12. drambuie macrumors 6502a

13. sr20det macrumors newbie

This looks eerily similar to my display issue. It looks like the backlight bleeding from the black bezel like mine.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1508336

Good luck, it's been a hassle going in circles with the local store and the 1800MYAPPLE customer service reps. They are sending me a replacement to the local store to do the exchange, but I won't accept it until i look it over and they do a pixel check for me.

14. tom vilsack macrumors 68000

tom vilsack

It doesn't look like dead pixcel when you zoom in...maybe it's some glue? Did you try carefully cleaning bottom corner of screen with a fiber cloth?

15. bobright thread starter macrumors 601

Yes. It does look like something else zoomed in and not apart of the screen but it is and whats weird is its identical on both the left and right.

This is what I'm hoping to do. I called them earlier and one of the reps was suggesting I just take it back to the Apple store. He wasn't fully sure though and tried to transfer me over to sales. It took too long and was on my way out so just hung up going to call tomorrow.

Sr20 what did you tell them, did you ask for a replacement via FedEx where you ship the old one back when the new one comes? Were you refused that and sent to a store?

This blows also don't know whether I should ask for a replacement or maybe get a straight up refund.

16. boto macrumors 6502

boto

Looks perfectly normal to me. When you fullscreen with Preview on both left and right bottom corners, you will notice those white pixel marks. Every single Mac has this because of the applications rounded corners I guess. Both my iMac and rMBP exhibit this so you don't have to worry. As far as I know, Chrome and Preview have rounded bottom corners.

17. kidwei macrumors regular

Wow, great catch. Bobright, were you full-screening a black screen in Preview? I just tried it on my MBP an saw the same thing boto was describing. Seems like you may be in the clear after all?

18. bobright, Dec 16, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2012

bobright thread starter macrumors 601

Are you guys serious?!? Not that I think you're lying or anything but can I see how yours looks if you got a camera nearby (just curious)?

I'm new to Mac so don't know if it was Preview or whatever but I basically saved an all black jpg to my desktop...then double clicked it and hit the arrows to make it fullscreen. I usually do this on new displays just to check that its mostly uniform and doesn't have any abnormal light bleed, that is when I spotted it. So it is the App used to open the image causing it? If I were to be watching a widescreen video or something they wouldn't be there?

19. jkautosports macrumors regular

Are you only seeing it at those corners? Nothing in the middle/rest of screen? If it's symmetrical, there may be a good chance it's normal. Sometimes programs have rounded edges whereas the screens are perfectly square...

20. bobright thread starter macrumors 601

Yes, nothing in the middle only the bottom corners and they look identical to each other so you guys might be onto something

21. Nandifix macrumors 6502

So if you are just on the desktop can you see the dots if you look really closely?

22. iMcLovin macrumors 68000

iMcLovin

23. Dark Dragoon macrumors 6502a

Dark Dragoon

I had a hard job getting a photo of those dots but they appear on both my Mac Pro's screens and my MBP. The photo is from one of my MP's screens with the resolution set very low

With Preview I can see those white dots on the bottom left and right when viewing an all black image fullscreen in Preview. If I use quick look (press space with the image selected in Finder) fullscreen I can't see them, nor if I just set the image as the desktop background.

Attached Files:

24. Nandifix macrumors 6502