Is this normal? [Shadowing on rMBP screen]

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by PS65, Sep 15, 2012.

1. PS65, Sep 15, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 15, 2012

PS65 macrumors 6502

On my rMBP, if you're on a completely white screen and you look at it from an angle I see a very slight 'shadows'. Fine when looking straight on, but something is there on the side.

Is this normal - most likely caused from the installation, but it is on all models?
    By the way, I am very anal so that is why I ask!

Attached Files:

2. zjazz, Sep 15, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2012

zjazz macrumors 6502

I just got my RMBP and I have similar thing. I think it is anti reflective coating, but I'm not sure. It bugs me too. I post a thread here to ask if anyone else have the same issue and if it's indeed anti reflective coating on the screen and not the faulty screen itself?
    This is my thread
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1442627

3. PS65 thread starter macrumors 6502

I think it is actually the way the screen is inserted (a slightest of bends can cause this). To be honest, I bet every rMBP has this, just we're being to anal. You have to view at a very sharp angle on a white screen - which no one will ever do.

I am keeping mine at the risk of a dead pixel, LG screen etc. There's nothing wrong with it, just something worth mentioning. Thoughts?

4. zjazz macrumors 6502

I think you right about the slightest bends on the screen. When I gently press with finger on the "pinky" area it instantly disappears!
    I'm wondering now how many of us have this? Is it really like you said all retinas have it or just some of them. I hope to hear from others.

I know what you mean about keeping it due to risk of having some serious problems, but I'm not sure yet what to do. Got little upset about it.

5. M5RahuL macrumors 68020

M5RahuL

I don't have that on my screen.. Just checked from every freaking angle possible :p

It's milky white from wherever I see it [ white background and full brightness ]

Mine is a Samsung screen, build date 29 July.

6. zjazz, Sep 15, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2012

zjazz macrumors 6502

I really don't know what to do now. From one thing I don't want to risk to change to another computer as it may be worse, and this one is absolutely perfect in any other aspect except these very slight pink areas.
    But it bugs me to pay close to 3K for my bto system and not be completely satisfied...

edit: decided to let it go...can't live with this imperfection, will order another one

7. PS65 thread starter macrumors 6502

Hmmm can you take a picture of yours please? I have contacted Apple Care and will see what they can do. If it's a replacement, I will do it. If it is a repair, I will avoid it. My concern is getting an LG screen!

8. zjazz macrumors 6502

my looks exactly the same as yours, but it has that pink area on the left side of the screen instead. I will call apple soon to get a new computer. yes i will not repair 2 days old machine. fingers crossed for replacement. i will update, please let us know your status as well. thanks

btw- i noticed that my retina configuration is exactly the same as yours!

9. PS65 thread starter macrumors 6502

Hey buddy, I am expecting a call from Apple Care tomorrow morning (they're closed on Sundays - same as the USA, I suspect?).

Problem is, mine was delivered on the 15th August so I am well past my 14 day period. Saying that, I will ask nicely.

I agree, something isn't right. My 2008 Unibody had the same problem. I am not accepting a repair, but will ask for an exchange. Not sure how likely this is :confused:

10. zjazz macrumors 6502

Good luck on exchange! I guess it all depends on who you speak to at Apple. I spoke today with 3 people and each of them told me different story. First woman was very cool and apologized for situation, and said that brand new computer will be sent to me right away and I will send this back within 15 days. Next guy was rude and told me that apple will repair it, I said I don't want to repair 2 days old computer I want exchange, he said - then you need to go to apple store and show it to them to confirm, I asked him to connect to his supervisor and problem was solved immediately. That was ridicules he wanted me to waste my time and go to apple store instead just shipping me fedex slips for return. So im waiting for fedex stickers to come to my email so I can send it for replacement. I hope the new one I get will be flawless Samsung screen and everything will be ok as it should be in the first place.

11. PS65 thread starter macrumors 6502

Likewise - I'll let you know tomorrow once I speak to them. Let us know how you get on!

12. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

It's all going to depend on who you speak with.

In any case I hope it gets worked out for you.

13. PS65 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks! Such a shame, really don't want to go through this hassle - but the thought of working with the machine for 3-4 years, may as well be happy after spending so much money.

14. zjazz macrumors 6502

I hear what you saying. I'm not too happy about it either. But things like this happens all the time. You just never want it to happen to you. Hopefully next machine will be perfect, as it should be in the first place.

15. Textureboy macrumors 6502

Textureboy

I had this issue on my first rMBP, but it was able to be seen without being at an angle, which really bothered me to return it.

16. buddyspencer macrumors regular

What about your new one? Perfect?

EDIT: If I'm looking from the right side at my display I do have the same issues... Kind of shadow in the middle of the screen - it's annoying!

17. Textureboy macrumors 6502

Textureboy

New one has a dead pixel getting that replaced. The shadow is now gone, but if you look sharply at an angle it still exists but again thats not how I view my screen so it doesn't bother me.

18. MarcBook macrumors 6502a

MarcBook

Dudes, this is really taking the anally-retentive thing to a whole new level... Yes, these displays have awesome viewing angles now, but they're not actually designed to be viewed from the side!

I'll admit that my unit doesn't seem to have this 'problem' (I have a Samsung display), but if you can't see it under normal use, there's really nothing to worry about. :)

I hope I haven't come across as rude or anything, but I think that some people should chill out, enjoy their Macs and realise that they're lucky to not have real problems with their units.

19. buddyspencer macrumors regular

More that 3.000 Dollar is a lot of money for a computer - so it should be perfect - that's my opinion.

----------

You got a new one because of the shadow problem - this one has a dead pixel? right?

And now you live with the dead pixel?

20. PS65 thread starter macrumors 6502

Sorry, I completely disagree. Why should I accept a sub-standard machine? The mark is visible when viewing straight on - hence how I discovered it.

I will continue to complain until I get a machine which I paid £2,400 for, not some sub-standard machine which is considered acceptable because it's not a real problem.

21. MarcBook macrumors 6502a

MarcBook

I apologise. You said in the original post "Fine when looking straight on, but something is there on the side", which I understood to mean that it's not visible under normal conditions, therefore not a problem.

As you are now reporting that it is visible from straight on, it is what I would consider a real problem.

I said I didn't intend to appear rude, but what you described in the original post is not serious, whereas what you're saying now is a significant issue.

Sorry for offending you.

22. Textureboy macrumors 6502

Textureboy

My replacements coming, I don't think I'd ever be content with a dead pixel.
    My original on the day that I received my replacement popped 4 dead pixels.

23. PS65 thread starter macrumors 6502

When is it due? Please keep us posted!

----------

No need to apologise, at the time of writing I didn't make it overly clear. It is just very frustrating - no one wants to go through the hassle of replacing a machine!

24. MarcBook macrumors 6502a

MarcBook

Yes, I know exactly what you mean. I've had to take in two MacBook Pros (2006 and 2007 models) in the past on multiple occasions to get parts replaced etc. and it's a real pain in the arse! I'm very thankful that this Mac (and the 2011 MacBook Pro I had before, which is now in my dad's hands) have been flawless.

It's worth it in the end, though. I agree that for the money you've spent on this machine you really should be satisfied with it.

25. derbothaus macrumors 601

derbothaus

Satisfaction comes at rev 2-3. But thanks early adopters, you have found everything to nit-pick. You'd have paid the same amount of money on a PC or a regular Macbook if you fit a 500GB SSD and those procs in it. It is high end but a fair deal. The screen really is icing. $3000.00 does not buy you a new factory to make impossibly perfect screens in China. They don't exist. Especially for laptops.