Is this normal?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by TSE, Aug 6, 2011.

1. TSE macrumors 68030

As some of you know, I have suffered for various anxiety problems for years now.

Well, this past year, being my senior year in high school, was probably one of the best years of my life. 95% anxiety free, lots of activeness, fun, and overall just a great year.

Well now I am about a week away from going off far away to college, and for the past month or so I have been incredibly nervous.

Every day I have been slightly panicking about it for no particular reason. I went to my therapist and he seems to think everyone is nervous going into it, and that I have nothing to worry about.

Is what I am doing truly considered "normal"?

2. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

It is normal to be nervous about it to begin with. It's a totally different experience. Many people move away from home, and class is nothing like high school was. However, as a junior (you can probably guess the school), I can say that it's really nothing to worry about. There will be a bunch of other freshmen there with you, just as new to it as you are. It's really a fun time getting used to the new lifestyle and making new friends. I realize it's hard not to worry even when people say not to, but just try to go into it with the best attitude and outlook possible and enjoy yourself. It really is a great time.

3. r1ch4rd macrumors 6502a

r1ch4rd

Yeah - everyone is nervous, especially if you are moving away from home. Once you start meeting a few people (which is incredibly easy) and get settled in a little it will be a blast. You'll love it, I can practically guarantee that!

4. franmatt80 macrumors 6502a

I'm 30 now - and have always been pretty confident and outgoing - but I can still remember the nerves I felt in the weeks leading up to leaving home. It's a big deal, and a huge watershed moment. But it's also true to say that the anticipation is far worse than the event - once you get there, surround by hundreds of others who feel exactly the same way, you relax and ease into it within minutes.

So don't beat yourself up for feeling nervous - I can't imagine there are many that don't- but keep in mind that you'll love it once you get there and you'll wonder how you even felt nervous about it!

Good luck for the big move :D

5. iStudentUK macrumors 65816

iStudentUK

It's quite normal. It's a big deal!

The first few weeks will be great fun. Nobody knows anyone else so almost everyone is very open and friendly. Me telling you this probably won't stop you worrying (I was told the same thing by lots of people and it didn't stop be worrying) but a few weeks in you'll look back and laugh at yourself. There are downsides to university, but they are far outweighed by the upsides.

6. ReddDraggon macrumors member

The Anxiety of going to university is nothing compared to the anxiety you'll get when you are sitting your finals.:eek:

7. (marc) macrumors 6502a

(marc)

Which, in turn, is nothing like the anxiety you'll get when you are sitting in an exam and you know you're going to fail :D

8. Shrink, Aug 7, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2011

Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

Everything above is true. But there are times when nervousness is disproportional to the actual threat - which is basically the definition of anxiety.

OP - If your therapist has taught you any relaxation procedures, this is the time to use them regularly. Breathing procedures, cognitive techniques (thought stopping, cognitive restructuring) and the like should help.

When I was in grad school (clinical psych), in my practicum I frequently saw freshman with anxiety and homesickness (we called it "freshmanitis"). Almost all adjusted well with a little support. If you need to, and after checking with your therapist, getting some help at your university health service can provide help.

I hope you enjoy your university experience. It can be some really good years. :D

9. kapolani macrumors regular

Don't sweat it.

Relax. Enjoy this time of your life.

I went back to college late in life. Served in the military first. I am now married and just had our first child (the wife did, not me). I wouldn't change my experience for anything.

Don't wast time being worried.

Enjoy everything. As much as humanly possible- have fun. You want to be able to look back on your life and tell yourself you had a blast.

Good luck!

10. Pink∆Floyd macrumors 68020

Pink∆Floyd

It's going to be fine OP, I'm a little nervous too, but let's put our best attitude forward with a healthy outlook.

I move in in two weeks :D

11. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed, it is perfectly normal to feel nervous when going off to college for the first time.

12. Contiguous macrumors member

It's perfectly fine to be somewhat apprehensive.

13. Sankersizzle macrumors 6502a

Sankersizzle

Yep! It's pretty normal to be apprehensive going in. I started first year four years ago (I just graduated) and I can honestly say university was the best 4 years of my life. You will immediately make friends (even if you are as lame as a box of toad tongues, you will befriend the other weirdos) with people you actually like. Something I noticed is that it wasn't the same as high school, everyone had a circle of friends to roll with.

Then there are the constant parties. You will have something to do every night, it's just the most fun you can imagine. Don't even get me started on the girls. Literally girls of every type and fancy EVERYWHERE you look. Campus is like paradise. Even if you don't like parties or girls, you will have nothing to worry about because there will people who will hold your interest either way. You have my word as both a lady, and a gentlemen that you have nothing to worry about!

I was nervous about entering university right up to my first night in my dorm. Once I arrived, on the first night everyone nervously came out of their rooms and we made friends. I'm still best friends with the same people 4 years later. Totally normal to be nervous, but totally unneeded as well! :)

14. emmawu macrumors 6502

When you're starting college, everything's normal.:)

15. samiwas macrumors 65816

As has been said numerous times, it's quite normal to be nervous.

But...do NOT be like I was in college. I sucked. I want to go back 18 years ago and kick my own ass. Due to some major issues from high school, I had a big problem with meeting people and making friends, because I was simply too shy to even try. Outside of that, I was clingy and weird.

I look back at all the chances I wasted, and all the things (and, umm...girls) I could have done.

I wish I was then what I am now. My later years in life taught me how to fit in with groups of people and have a good time. I can now mesh in with most groups, and love getting out and meeting people...something I simply could not do then. But, at 37 and married, that's a bit more of a chore! I wish I had known in those days how easy it is to just talk to people.

Get out there. It sounds hard, but it's really not. If nothing else, find some sort of activity or school group to join. That's how I met most of the people I knew in college, who I still keep in contact with to this day.

I didn't have much of "the college experience". Make it happen. Do not let it pass by.

16. toolbox macrumors 68020

toolbox

Yes it is normal, i also suffer from anxiety and if there is a huge change or something that is out of my comfort zone such as going on a business trip even for a day i loose it.

Change is a huge huge problem for me but am working on improving

17. Firestar macrumors 68020

Firestar

I would think it is very normal. It's a stressful time, but try not to be too worried, I would advise.

18. x3000 macrumors newbie

totally normal

Very normal, you are starting college so not feeling nervous is not normal :)
    Anyhow, it will pass in time, once you get there after a while you will be missing being nervous about it. Have fun

19. villicodelirant macrumors 6502

villicodelirant

Who doesn't? :D

20. Young Spade macrumors 68020

Everybody is nervous about their first year of college. Just out of curiosity, what classes are you going to be taking? And your major?

I was a little nervous going in but it isn't that big of a deal. Just study and go to all of your classes and you'll be fine.

21. andalusia macrumors 68030

andalusia

How lovely that the OP hasn't replied even once to his own thread, after each bit of advice pretty much matches with the rest of it in here. I'll just repeat the same-

It's normal to be nervous about college/university.

22. Sankersizzle macrumors 6502a

Sankersizzle

He said (last week) that he was a week away from going away to college, so he should be there now. He's probably too busy getting laid/shotgunning bears/going to class to talk to us pokey old folks anymore :rolleyes:.

23. andalusia macrumors 68030

andalusia

That should be made illegal :mad:

:D

24. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Seeing as how you went where I didn't ..... ;)

Attached Files:

25. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

It wasn't so bad for me. I basically had no plans of going into college until a week into the course start date. Went for an interview and they loved my work so I was fast tracked through enrolment. I only had an evening and morning of being nervous of meeting new people.

I knew someone on the course so it wasn't so bad, just stuck with him for a couple of days before I got to know other people.

Was nervous before university too, but less so. The more you're put in that situation the less nervous you get. I might be going back and starting a new course at uni next month and I'm more excited than nervous!