Is this possible on a mac?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by chrono1081, Apr 6, 2008.

1. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

In windows XP, if your doing something like a file transfer or a program is doing something you can lock the computer and leave and someone has to use a password to get back in. Well I thought that log off would do it on my Mac but when I do that it closes the programs. Is there an equivelant to the windows xp lock in mac?

2. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Under System Preferences --> Security you can set your computer to require a password to wake your computer from screen saver or sleep.

You can also open Applications --> Utilities --> Keychain Access --> Preferences and add a handy "lock" icon to your menu bar that will allow you to lock your screen when you want to step away from your computer.

3. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

this has been asked many times. please use the search feature.

there are many ways to do this. look here.

4. zaney macrumors regular

The keychain lock that WildCowboy mentioned is the equivalent of locking your screen on a Mac.
    The other option is to set your screensaver to require a password, and then go into the exposé preferences and set up a screen corner to start the screensaver. That way you can lock it just by moving the cursor to that corner.

5. chrono1081 thread starter macrumors 604

chrono1081

Thanks for the replies guys :) Thats exactly what I was looking for.

As for using the search feature I apologize, I usually do but today I was in a rush. Great info none the less :)

6. zaney macrumors regular

I feel it's not my place to reprimand you for not searching, as I only registered yesterday :D
    Besides, as easy as it's made to sound, it's still easy to miss something.
    You're welcome anyway, good luck with keeping people out :D